Wheezing as I exhale (Read 193 times)

Question for all of you. The last few tIke's I have gone for my morning run I start wheezing on my exhale about 3/10 of a mile in. It's both concerning and annoying. Could anyone give me an explanation to why this is happening? Thanks

JerseeJerry55

Latent Runner

Sounds like you need to slow down.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Don't know if I could go any slower I am at about an 11 minute pace. It seems to occur when I start up this incline on my street.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can definitely slow down from 11min, if it's causing you breathing issues.  Could be exercise-induced asthma.  If slowing doesn't help you should talk to your doc.  I was diagnosed after I started running.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You can definitely slow down from 11min, if it's causing you breathing issues.  Could be exercise-induced asthma.  If slowing doesn't help you should talk to your doc.  I was diagnosed after I started running.

I can try to slow down maybe to 12 mins. I'm going to go a different route with no hills to see if that works. Thanks for your suggestion.

JerseeJerry55

Don't know if I could go any slower I am at about an 11 minute pace. It seems to occur when I start up this incline on my street.

Slow down on the uphill so that you're breathing the same on the uphill as on flats.  If you can't do that, then fast walk the uphill until you're in good enough shape to be able to run it.

Good luck. You might be surprised how many good hill runners had to walk up some steep hills when they started.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Still kicking

If it didn't happen before, and you haven't changed anything, and suddenly happens now for no reason, there has to be a cause. Higher temps? Humidity? Pollution/smog levels? I live near a golf course, and when the wind is right, on days they mow or chemically treat the grass, I get congested, and wheeze and cough and sometimes my eyes burn. It can come on in only a few strides, and took me awhile to figure out what was going on. Now I avoid the area anytime I hear their tractors running.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Come to think of it  I have tried to run real early in the morning to avoid humidity and it's been mid to high 70s here in Southern NJ. But still is a bit hot and humid. Also have noticed some mucus buildup around that stage of my run as well. Maybe those are contributing factors?

JerseeJerry55

Docket_Rocket

Come to think of it  I have tried to run real early in the morning to avoid humidity and it's been mid to high 70s here in Southern NJ. But still is a bit hot and humid. Also have noticed some mucus buildup around that stage of my run as well. Maybe those are contributing factors?

JerseeJerry55

I agree with the other comments that you need to slow down.  However, if the mucus buildup continues and does not go away (no allergies and no colds), then I would get checked for exercise or allergy induced asthma.

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Did about a mile this morning actually on a different route through my neighborhood. There is one slight hill and had minimal wheezing. That being said also had a slight "pulling" across my upper chest when I was at the end of my run. That could be any number of things. My doc has said that I am fit enough to run. As far as the mucus I have minimal seasonal allergies (spring/fall) I believe I have a summer cold currently. The main things I am fearful of are health issues such as sports related Asthma, or heart issues, and perhaps ultimately ditching the running and having to settle for walking. I started a couch to 5k back the end of April. Transitioned to now strictly running as I am preparing for a 5k in late October. I haven't felt this good in 15 years. I really enjoy it and really don't want to back down to strictly walking unless medically instructed to. Is this a hopeless pipe dream, and have any of you out there experienced anything I am currently. I don't want to quit something I really love doing. Thanks

JerseeJerry55

mikeymike

Sounds like asthma. I have it. My doc gave me an inhaler a few years ago, I rarely use it. Seasonal allergies are a big trigger for me so in the spring is when I'm most likely to have issues, as well as if it's been hot and humid for a few days in a row and the air quality is shit.

It's not debilitating, just something to manage. My doctor has never suggested I stop running, just be aware of the conditions and listen to my body.

Runners run

Sounds like asthma. I have it. My doc gave me an inhaler a few years ago, I rarely use it. Seasonal allergies are a big trigger for me so in the spring is when I'm most likely to have issues, as well as if it's been hot and humid for a few days in a row and the air quality is shit.

It's not debilitating, just something to manage. My doctor has never suggested I stop running, just be aware of the conditions and listen to my body.

The funny thing is I haven't experienced it other than the last 10 days. Maybe it's my body dealing with the hill adversely. I haven't run in 15 years so maybe my body is saying slow down take it easy. I'm gonna try a 13 minute mile and see if that's it.

JerseeJerry55

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Maybe it's my body dealing with the hill adversely.

Or maybe it's your body telling you something is wrong.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Or maybe it's your body telling you something is wrong.

Perhaps although had an EKG in late May and everything checked out fine. Also my doctor during my last checkup said that I could run and she saw nothing that would indicate otherwise.

AutBatgirl

Perhaps although had an EKG in late May and everything checked out fine. Also my doctor during my last checkup said that I could run and she saw nothing that would indicate otherwise.

My EKG looks good too, but I still have asthma. I'm not a doctor, but I'd have one check your lungs if slowing up a bit doesn't correct the problem.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.