Furman FIRST Training Group (Read 1797 times)

va

I have started a training group for discussing and sharing information about Furman FIRST training. Everyone is welcome. The FIRST program calls for 3 quality running work-outs a week (i.e., repeats, tempo run, long run), and 2-3 days of cross-training. If you're interested in learning more about this type of training, you can find information on the Furman FIRST web site. They have a bunch of lectures on training, and training plans for 5K, 10K, half-marathon, and marathon. There is also a book, which I think is pretty good. Note, I don’t work for Furman, and I am not an evangelist for this form of training. I will be trying the FIRST program for my Spring half marathon, and thought would be good to have a group for those interested in this type of training…
    TexasRunner

I'm in although I'm more of a 5/10K runner. I'm about 4 weeks in on the 5K program. I don't have a goal race; I'm just using it to become more race fit since it has a higher intensity level. My current schedule looks like: sun: long run mon: spin class tues: track workout wed: rowing (steady state) thurs: tempo fri: spin class sat: rowing (intervals) All of its pretty high intensity, but I'm doing well so far.
      va

TexasRunner, Excellent! To join the group, go here and click on the "Join this group!" button. I like to find out more about your cross-training...

Me and my RP

I've heard a lot about this as I've run quite a few races up at Furman University and have seen the flyers/notes at the PAC. I hear their training camps are wonderful!
          va

They have an "Adult Running and Learning Retreat" which sounds really good. Check-out this description from their web site: Runners will be given a firsthand opportunity to work with experienced and successful runners and coaches, including the founders of the FIRST program at Furman University. All runners will receive an individualized training plan upon completion of the program. Educational sessions are scheduled throughout the day, interspersed with lab testing assessments, training runs, demonstrations and social opportunities. Your extended weekend will feature the following: • Maximal Oxygen Consumption Test (VO2max) • Lactate Profile • Body Composition • Demonstration of Biomechanics and Gait Analysis • Individualized Training Plan • Many educational sessions and demonstrations • Unlimited access to the FIRST staff • Scenic runs You will also learn about the FIRST Training Plan (3 plus 2 method, featured in Runner’s World magazine), nutrition, strength training for runners, cross training to enhance your running, stretching and flexibility training, injury prevention, proper running form, how to design an effective training plan, and the psychology of running and racing