Does anyone listen to audiobooks on long runs? (Read 771 times)

Due to time constraints, I would like to be able to listen to audio books and lectures on my long runs. Has anyone found particular success with this? Found it particularly frustrating? Do any genres/authors/speakers lend themselves better to this? Currently, I tend to listen to music, to keep the adrenaline pumping and pushing me along.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Before I lost my Shuffle, I would sometimes listen to podcasts on the run. Same kind of deal, though. Spoken word stuff. I found it kind of difficult -- unlike music while , you're actually trying to pay attention to the words. I found that I needed to have the volume louder than I normally would for tunes. Which is not necessarily good -- less contact with the outside world. MTA: I have more luck with this on the treadmill, where I (usually) don't have to worry about avoiding traffic.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

First off what kind of interests, do you have? I have done audiobooks either ripped from my collection or from libraries :-). For me, non-fiction seems easier to digest while on runs. Most of the material I've listened to was on personal finance, political jibber jab, and ethics.

Vim

I listen to audiobooks when I run on the treadmill. I never listen to them outside for the same reasons stated above. I like them, but as you suggested, they aren't very upbeat or motivating, so I can only do them here and there. Usually for warm-up and cool-downs, which is usually a chapter or two. I've also done podcasts and even audio stand-up comedy routines.
            First off what kind of interests, do you have? I have done audiobooks either ripped from my collection or from libraries :-). For me, non-fiction seems easier to digest while on runs. Most of the material I've listened to was on personal finance, political jibber jab, and ethics.
            Thanks so much to all. I enjoy books on religion and history as well as the classics of literature.

JakeKnight

I just run.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Most of my cognitive brain function shuts down on long runs, once to the point where I took a wrong turn and ended up miles off my route. I can't imagine an audio book or lecture that could hold my attention. I just run as well. Tom
                  I have been using audio books on the treadmill to avoid completely dying of boredom. It works well, I listen to fluff fiction (currently The Nanny Diaries) that doesn't take a whole lot of concentration but is entertaining. To my husband's chagrin, I sometimes listen to it when I am running outside on the road as well. I usually have to turn the volume way up as well, and I try to only use one headphone so I can listen for cars. I also find it nice when you are still starting out, pushing through those painful miles. When I can run with ease, I like going without audio at all, but when I know it will be a strenuous one, it sure makes the time go a bit faster.

2012 Goals: Get back into it after having a baby! Prep for a 1/2 marathon

I do. I listen to "college" classes from the Teaching Company -- all the classes I should have taken in college for the sheer joy of learning. I especially listen to them on the treadmill where I have about a mile before I'm bored to tears but I also listen to them running through my neighborhood where there's not a lot to see/listen to. It helps keep me going and forget the kniggling ouches as I start running and boredom of doing my neighborhood circuit for the 2nd or 3d time. Karyn

The Greatest of All Time

I can't imagine someone reading a book to me would have the same spur as Metallica or Green Day.
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                      pitrunner

I do. I listen to "college" classes from the Teaching Company -- all the classes I should have taken in college for the sheer joy of learning. I especially listen to them on the treadmill where I have about a mile before I'm bored to tears but I also listen to them running through my neighborhood where there's not a lot to see/listen to. It helps keep me going and forget the kniggling ouches as I start running and boredom of doing my neighborhood circuit for the 2nd or 3d time. Karyn
                        Wow! I just checked this site out - very awesome. I am the biggest history nerd ever... I can't wait to start downloading! Smile
                          I am right smack in the middle of Chizzy and mschantz on this one. Maybe, I could use two sets of - nevermind...

I occasionally listen to audiobooks. I have listened to Naked and Me Talk Pretty One day by David Sedaris (be prepared to have people think you are crazy if you run while listening to these since you will have a hard time not laughing out loud) I am listening to The Heart of Happiness by the Dali Lama right now, but having a hard time concentrating. I had never heard of the Teaching Company- but am checking them out right now. Seriously thinking of downloading Peoples and Cultures of the World. The site is AWESOME (I am so glad I read this thread!)! Running is about the only time I can listen to audiobooks. I can't do it in the car since my kids never stop talking (plus I am addicted to NPR) and I can't listen around the house because my kids never stop talking, and I can't listen at work since my coworkers never stop talking....................
                            Mishka-old log

JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------