Hartford Marathon (Read 886 times)

Is anyone or has anyone run in the Hartford Marathon or half marathon? I am trying to get up the guts to sign up for the half marathon this year.. October 13th. It would be my first HM. It says the streets will reopen after 3 hours, yikes and I am still a slow runner Shy Though as long as I finish I would be thrilled!
    mikeymike

Word. I'm in for the full baby. My first marathon in 3.5 years. I've never run it but I hear it's a very well organized race and a fast course. Downtown traffic will not return to normal for several hours after the race so I wouldn't worry too much if you're not quite done when they start opening the roads to traffic. Most smaller road races take place on roads that are open anyway and it's not a problem.

Runners run

I did it! Big grin I signed up for the Hartford HM.. Im super psyched, but very nervous. I even went as far as signing up with a charity to raise money (more to motivate me) Any and all advice is welcome-I am following Hal Higdon's plan, I just need to be more consistant. MikeyMike thanks for easing my worries about being too slow! Atleast I know I should finish before some of the full marathon runners Tongue
          Great stuff, congratulations on signing up! For me, sending in the check for my first HM made it "real", but I still had reservations about being ready for the race. There were days when my motivation was lacking, because I figured I could just wimp out and it wouldn't matter. I found that my motivation improved greatly after I told everybody that might care even a little that I was going to do it. I was more "invested" in the race, due in large part to the increased potential embarrassment factor. I'd be sitting on the couch in shorts, shirt and running shoes trying to figure out if it was worth it, then I'd get my butt off the couch and out the door. There's an amazing energy around you from both the crowd and your fellow runners, and crossing that finish line with a wonderful mix of exhaustion and elation is just the best feeling. If you're not very careful, you might just wind up addicted. Smile

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

All business

Looking at your log, you did: (over) six miles in: (under) 1.5 hours. And you hadn't even signed up or started the training yet! You're going to do great.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Thank you guys everything is much appreciated. I started to tell people and they are all encouraging me. No turning back now Smile
                Is anyone or has anyone run in the Hartford Marathon or half marathon? I am trying to get up the guts to sign up for the half marathon this year.. October 13th. It would be my first HM. It says the streets will reopen after 3 hours, yikes and I am still a slow runner Shy Though as long as I finish I would be thrilled!
                I ran the half there in '98 and it was a wonderful event. The weather was pathetic (cold and raining) but the race was great. I need CT. as a state for my 50 states resume and I plan to return to Hartford for the marathon.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Mikeymike.. have fun tomorrow!