Huge pain in the... big toe? (Read 1701 times)

Last week was my biggest mileage week ever (30 miles, yay!), but during an easy treadmill run on Sunday I developed a sharp stabbing pain in my right big toe. I had to cut my run short, but figured it was nothing to worry about. I haven't run since. Walking can be extremely painful with a shooting pain from the ball of my toe up into the next joint. I can avoid this by walking on the outside of my foot, or conciously raising the toe towards the top of my shoe when I walk. Has anyone experienced something similar? It sounds somewhat like sesamoiditis, but it seems strange that there was no gradual buildup of pain, and also I do not have the trademark pain flexing my big toe (or otherwise manipulating it - only pain is when I have weight on it). I'm hoping my trademark policy of ignoring a problem until it goes away works Cool, but perhaps a trip to the doctor is necessary.
      Yeah, I've got this too. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes I don't even know it's there, and it's on my left foot which seems to get beat up more. Have you tried any toe strengthening exercises, like sitting in a chair, placing a towel under your foot and flexing your toes to scrunch the towel up? I've heard that's good for toe strength.

#artbydmcbride

Bunion coming on? Sad

Runners run

Bunion coming on? Sad
          No. it's more like a pinched nerve. Once the swelling surrounding the nerve goes away, then the pain goes too.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I think I have the same issue. My Podiatrist said it's from overpronation (more on my right foot, where the pain is than on my left foot, which is fine). You're probably running on that foot and pushish off the big toe too much. I've switched to shoes for over pronation and it has helped a lot. Now there is just an occasional dull ache. Basically, when you push off your feet, you are pushing off the 3 center toes more than the big toe or pinky. If you over pronate, you may push off with the big toe a lot more. It jams the big toe. For me, it feels like a really really bad stubbed toe (or like a pinched nerve basically). Now that I've been working with better shoes, it just feels like a toe I stubbed a few days ago. It's a lot better but the problem is not gone (I've had it for more than a year Tongue . My POD says I should get inserts for my running shoes and that would fix it. I haven't done that yet because I've been lazy.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

I think I have the same issue. My Podiatrist said it's from overpronation (more on my right foot, where the pain is than on my left foot, which is fine). You're probably running on that foot and pushish off the big toe too much. I've switched to shoes for over pronation and it has helped a lot. Now there is just an occasional dull ache. Basically, when you push off your feet, you are pushing off the 3 center toes more than the big toe or pinky. If you over pronate, you may push off with the big toe a lot more. It jams the big toe. For me, it feels like a really really bad stubbed toe (or like a pinched nerve basically). Now that I've been working with better shoes, it just feels like a toe I stubbed a few days ago. It's a lot better but the problem is not gone (I've had it for more than a year Tongue . My POD says I should get inserts for my running shoes and that would fix it. I haven't done that yet because I've been lazy.
              Same here. Superfeet Green insoles resolved this for me.

I have the same issue but it is my second toe...the one next to my big toe. I am more of a neutral runner, so that makes sense. I have it on both feet. For me it happened for the first time after Saturday (my first 20 miler). It feels like I have a stone bruise on the tip of my toe.
                2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
                  Has anyone experienced something similar? It sounds somewhat like sesamoiditis, but it seems strange that there was no gradual buildup of pain, and also I do not have the trademark pain flexing my big toe (or otherwise manipulating it - only pain is when I have weight on it). I'm hoping my trademark policy of ignoring a problem until it goes away works Cool, but perhaps a trip to the doctor is necessary.
                  I had a similar issue a few years ago - BY CHANCE I had a Dr appt for a check up already set up. I discussed this same issue with my DR (who is also a runner) and we determined the problem was not my running or my running shoes, rather my dress shoes that I wore to work every day (what were worn down and bad - I never even remotely thought of that until I talked to the Doc)......I bought new shoes to wear to work and the problem went away Wink.....so what Im saying here is to examine this problem from more then simply a running perspective..... Shocked

Champions are made when no one is watching

nextyearcubs

I had a similar problem a few weeks back, I had dull, constant pain in the ball of both feet. I bought new work shoes and the problem got better gradually, without me changing my running schedule. I'm sure the running wasn't doing my feet any favors, but the work shoes were shot.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Thanks for the responses! It's been two weeks now and no improvement - haven't run at all, which is ruining the end of the summer for me Sad It still hurts walking, so I think the next step is superfeet... which hopefully will help the pf in my other foot Wink Otherwise it's a trip to the doctor. I've noticed that the pain really moves around a bit - sometimes on the top of the foot, sometimes the front joint, and most often in the ball of the big toe. Odd. Almost feels like the joint is just stiff and isn't bending right. Hopefully I can get it figured out soon and get going soon. It's depressing not to be able to get out on the trails.
                        Thanks for the responses! It's been two weeks now and no improvement - haven't run at all, which is ruining the end of the summer for me Sad It still hurts walking, so I think the next step is superfeet... which hopefully will help the pf in my other foot Wink Otherwise it's a trip to the doctor.
                        I'm thinking the DOC at this point...if it hasnt improved in 2 weeks and your not working it, I think you ought to have it checked out professionally.....This Sucks....hope it works out for you..... Cool

Champions are made when no one is watching

dannyg

Giff, any luck with your big toe pain from 2008? I have exactly what you had. No cure yet.