long run question (Read 1097 times)

gebuh

I'm confused about the long run thing- should it be about 30% of your weekly mileage inclusive or exclusive of the long run mileage? So if you run 10 miles during the week your long run could be 3ish miles, or 5 miles?

SMART Approach

I think 30% is very general. If running 100 miles per week, you won't be seeing many 30 mile long runs. If running 10 miles per week, every run is long. No really, the lower miles you run, the more you can generally run in a long run percentage wise. For example I run 22-25 miles per week and my general long run is 9 miles or around 40% of weekly miles. I will get some 10 milers and one 11 in before a half marathon with no issues but I do have a strong base and have been running for 20 years. Listen to your body also. If running 10-12 miles per week, I wouldn't go much more than 4-5 miles in long run. You just don't have strength to support it. Meaning, it will be a stress to your system requiring more recovery time. Use 25-30% as general guideline but a broader range would be 20-40% of weekly miles depending on miles per week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

easytarget

not that this answers your question, i sort of ignored it because if you're anywhere in the vicinity of 10 miles per week you really don't have much to worry about in the way of LR's yet anyway... here's my non-responsive response most peeps worrying about LR's are training for a marathon, you however may or may not be, if not, then my observation will be useless to you, and for that, i apologize profusely in advance.. so, what am i prattling on about? or in other words, get to the point most ppl training for marathons run LR's that are too high a precentage of thier weekly mileage for example, they'll do 40 miles a week and about half the mileage was from a LR this imho has at least a couple downsides that immediately jump to mind 1. the week day runs are probably impinged on quality wise by the LR 2. the base these marathoners are working off of is probably insufficient, as often they've just jumped into a marathon program they dug up on the web entering into it with like 25-35 miles a week as their previous avg what results is either injury and/or less than optimal performance thus concludes a rather lame hijacking of this thread
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

EasyT took the long road but he got there .Low mileage + long = INJURE

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

gebuh

but 25-30 or 20-40 percent of which one?, if I run 10 miles mon-sat and 3 miles on sun that 3 miles is approx 33% of the mon-sat miles but 23ish% of total weekly mileage.
            I think 30% is very general. If running 100 miles per week, you won't be seeing many 30 mile long runs. If running 10 miles per week, every run is long. No really, the lower miles you run, the more you can generally run in a long run percentage wise. For example I run 22-25 miles per week and my general long run is 9 miles or around 40% of weekly miles. I will get some 10 milers and one 11 in before a half marathon with no issues but I do have a strong base and have been running for 20 years. Listen to your body also. If running 10-12 miles per week, I wouldn't go much more than 4-5 miles in long run. You just don't have strength to support it. Meaning, it will be a stress to your system requiring more recovery time. Use 25-30% as general guideline but a broader range would be 20-40% of weekly miles depending on miles per week.
              but 25-30 or 20-40 percent of which one?, if I run 10 miles mon-sat and 3 miles on sun that 3 miles is approx 33% of the mon-sat miles but 23ish% of total weekly mileage.
              Here is my answer for what is it worth: If somebody runs 45 miles in one week, and included in that total is a 15 mile long run, then that person ran a long run of 33% of his weekly miles.

ScriptCal

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Total weekly mileage. 3/13 = 23%.

A Saucy Wench

TOTAL mileage including the long run.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

Crazy formula runners, gebuh, I always try to keep my long run no more than what I've run the rest of the week: Mon thru Friday = 20 miles, Sat = 20 miles. Total weekly mileage 40 miles. If you are running 10 miles during the week, then probably only run 10 miles on your long run. Oh and the slower you go then the further you can run. Smile

Runners run

Junior Amphibian

A long run should be generally 1.5 or 2 times of what you consider your "normal" run. So if you usually run 3 miles, the common long run could be anywhere from 4.5 to 6 miles. Of course, it can be longer, but it's not recommended.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

SMART Approach

As said above your long run is a % of your total miles. So if you are running 13 miles a week, your long run should be no more than 5-6 miles. If you up your total miles to 20 miles per week, then an 7-8 mile long run is reasonable unless you are trying to do a half then you could probably work up to 10 miles but I would recommend a person be running for more than a year to recommend 50% of total mileage. For example before my half marathon last year I averaged 22 miles per week. One week I hit 25 miles and had a 11.5 mile long run but most of time my long run was 9-10 miles but I have been running 20 years and have pounded a long time. A newer runner should not use this high a percentage, I believe.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com