Quick poll for the married folks (Read 1158 times)

xhristopher

25&13. Somehow I find it kinda odd that I don't have many friends my age who are divorced. When does that start up? After the kids grow up?

xhristopher

double post.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

We were both 20.  Married 36 years.  Our children are 23, 26 and 28.  None marriedSmile

steph  

bhearn

25&13. Somehow I find it kinda odd that I don't have many friends my age who are divorced. When does that start up? After the kids grow up?

Pretty soon, I think. I have lots of divorced friends. One friend I've been best man for twice, twice divorced, the 2nd time after a few months. I guess I'm bad luck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tangerine, are congratulations in order??? Big grin

25, 16.5

Ostrich runner

33, almost a year. Be wild, wrap it up. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Looks like I'm the outlier here: 40, and we've been married 19 years.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

They are dropping like flies around us...it's insane and unsettling (especially when one of the couples were married the exact same day as DH and I)!  All of the scenarios are different, though.  2 of the couples simply were better friends than they were spouse and are splitting amicably, one couple has a husband who is a workaholic and his parents own the business and do everything to encourage his work habits, one couple was only married maybe 5 years (married in their 30s) and immediately had 2 kids, one couple is in their 50s and have 2 adult kids.  People married at all different ages, too.  No distinct pattern.

These are all people in our relatively close circle of friends.  We know of several other acquaintances who are also in the process of divorce.  It's a little surreal.  Some days I think they threw in the towel too easily or simply weren't right for one-another from the start, but other days it makes me wonder how it is that these couples are different than my DH and I.  Why doesn't it seem like the difficult task that so many make it out to be (staying married)?  People always talk about marriage taking so much work...and most of the time I don't feel this way.  Most of the time it feels like play.  Perhaps because we do a lot of fun stuff together and have such similar interests and views.  But we still give one-another space to do things solo without feeling jealous or resentful.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I was 19 and my husband was 20.  We have been married 41 years.

Jackie

23 and 28 years together...

Both DH and I were 22 and it will be 5 years in February. He's military though so we got married right after we graduated. Most of our other navy friends did the same thing. Only one divorce that I know of and I think it had to do with living out here in Japan, but I don't really know. 

31 and DW was 26.  That was 7 years ago.

SjFlowers

I was 27 DH was 31 that was 9 years ago 

Jill_B

I fly.

How old were you when you got married? And--if you don't mind--how long ago was that? 

(reason for poll: an overwhelming amount of friends from high school and college getting married all at once. I'm 23, single, and living my life! And cannot believe how many friends are tying the knot!) 

25 and 27.  And it feels like an eternity.  I'm pretty sure that it's only been 9+ years.

Bring it on.

Jill_B

I fly.

I had a bunch of friends get divorced a year or two after getting married and now it's been relatively quiet on the divorce front, with the notable exception of a couple that we know that is trying to recreate The War of The Roses.

Bring it on.