Quick poll for the married folks (Read 1158 times)

jeffdonahue

We were both 23, adn it was about a year and a half after we had just graduated from College.  17 years and 3 kids later, still going strong.

xhristopher

This thread sucks donkey dick. 

28, 9 years, and I bought a motorcycle & crashed it shortly after she moved out. Merry merry.

I'm in a better place now, despite the 2am post.

Merry merry to you Nemo. Here's a smoking donkey.

I was 23 and my wife was 20. It was just a few months short of our 24th and 21st birthdays. It's been nearly 4.5 years and we have a 2 year old son. If you love the person you are marrying, then age doesn't matter. I would like to 2nd the comment about having kids early. I am glad I was 26 when my son was born, I couldn't imagine having him at say 40 and him going off to college when I am 58. That sounds awful. I would rather be young enough to run around with him and still have enough energy for eventual grand kids.
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Married when I was 26.

Will celebrate our 10 year anniversary in March.

(We've been together since I was 19 and he was 21.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Old, Slow, Happy

I was 23 about 3 weeks from my 24th birthday. My wife was 21. That was 34 1/2 years ago.  That's right.  I'm old and slow.

Lane

I'll be 5 days short of 23 next May!

Tramps

If you're worried about not being married, don't be.  Unmarried adults will soon be the majority in the United States.  Median age for marriage is now 26.5 for women, 28.7 for men...and those are still rising.  More here.

Be safe. Be kind.

rlemert

We married at 26 (me) and 23 (DW), and had our 32nd anniversary two days ago. (We had another engagement that night, so we haven't celebrated the event yet.)

My best friend from high school married his high school sweetheart at ~ 21/20. He was going to wait until he received his pharmacy degree (a five-year program), but she won - they got married while he still had a couple of years to go.) They'll be celebrating 40 years in the next couple.

My parents reached their 60th anniversary in November, and with the problems they're having with my dad's health and my mom's response, it's clear that they love each other more than ever. 

I would like to 2nd the comment about having kids early. I am glad I was 26 when my son was born, I couldn't imagine having him at say 40 and him going off to college when I am 58. That sounds awful. I would rather be young enough to run around with him and still have enough energy for eventual grand kids.

My son is going to be starting college next fall, and I turn 58 in January! So far we haven't had much trouble keeping up with him. I think the biggest difference is that while younger parents have more energy for their kids, we had more patience. We'd been around the block and seen a lot, and we'd seen what some of our friends had gone through with their kids. Very little has surprised us, and I think we're less likely to "fly off the handle" without warning.

Besides, it doesn't matter how old you are when you have kids. What's important is how much love you have for them when they do show up!

Yoda the 4-eared cat

It's interesting, you mostly seem to have got married a lot younger than I would have been expecting, considering that the average age these days is over 30. I was expecting a lot of late 20s, early 30s; but there are a lot of early 20s; just after graduating, even for people around the same age as me.

But then, I think this poll is also a bit skewed in that the question excludes anyone who has clearly paired up in a serious long term relationship but doesn't feel the need to get a piece of paper. In my case, DH and I have been together for 8 years, living together for 7 1/2. I think if we were the sort to be interested in a wedding (which I differentiate strongly from 'marriage', which is what we have, to all intents and purposes), we would have done it after 3-4 yrs together, so aged 30ish. As it is, we got a civil union this year (in France), at the ages of 34 and 36 respectively, but that was pretty much to cover our backs in terms of inheritance, taxes etc.

Basically, I don't see a problem with being married / in a committed relationship at 23 (whether that means a 'wedding' or not is really up to the couple in question). So if you want to do it and feel good about doing it, do it. But if there's noone special yet, dont sweat it, there is really no hurry.

Believe

How old were you when you got married? And--if you don't mind--how long ago was that? 

(reason for poll: an overwhelming amount of friends from high school and college getting married all at once. I'm 23, single, and living my life! And cannot believe how many friends are tying the knot!) 

I was 221/2 and we had dated for 3 years.  Married 28 years January 7th.Big grin

Half Fanatic #846

I am glad I was 26 when my son was born, I couldn't imagine having him at say 40 and him going off to college when I am 58. That sounds awful. I would rather be young enough to run around with him and still have enough energy for eventual grand kids.

I know a couple who adopted a child just last month who will be 13 when he is 60, and they are absolutely ecstatic.  And I've known another couple who had a child who will be in middle school when they turn 60...

I was 21, DW was 19 - that was 44 years ago.  Before meeting each other, we never seriously thought about getting married or staying single - it just happened and here we are.  Can't recall any peer pressure, but remember that we both realized we were fairly young at the time.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I was 33 and my wife was 33 and we got married 26 years ago (first marriage for us both), looks like it might last for a little while.

I'm surprised that most of your replies were younger when married.......but I do remember for a period of time (in my 20's) when it seemed like almost everyone of my friends was either engaged or married ..... they were dropping like flies around me........but I was a late bloomer and hadn't even thought about getting married until I was 30 or so........heck, I barely dated until my early 20's....(I was too much of a GEEK)...

I do think it happens when it happens but also think that unless you come across someone that's perfect for you when you are younger, you're better off to wait a few years and enjoy your single life for what it is..........I don't think most of my early married friends were comfortable with themselves yet, and marriage is tough enough sometimes, and especially when you don't yet know YOU......most of them were separated or divorced in relatively short order too......

Being married has its benefits but so does being single......when I was single, I NEVER had to explain to anyone why I NEED at least 5 pairs of running shoes at a time Big grin........

Also -- FWIW -- I'm very happily married - but, being BOTH 23 and single again would be pretty nice.......

Enjoy yourself..........and keep running.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

A Saucy Wench

Agree wholeheartedly on the first part but isn't the second part a little contradictory?  Why wait?  Do you feel like you rushed into getting married?

Honestly, even then what I really wanted was to put a pin in the relationship and just be on my own for a few more years and do things without being responsible to anyone.   Right person, wrong time. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

I was 37, he was 22.  We have been happily married for a long time now.  Cool

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

. I think the biggest difference is that while younger parents have more energy for their kids, we had more patience.

+1  I can not imagine dh as a father in his 20's.  He would have been a disaster.   In his 20's he was much more... volatile.  Not in a mean or violent way, but just less patient, more emotional.   He would not have had the patience for a kid then. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7