Quick poll for the married folks (Read 1158 times)

xor

I was 37, he was 22.  We have been happily married for a long time now.  Cool

SWEET

+1  I can not imagine dh as a father in his 20's.  He would have been a disaster.   In his 20's he was much more... volatile.  Not in a mean or violent way, but just less patient, more emotional.   He would not have had the patience for a kid then. 

Yep, at 35, I feel like I'm just patient and just energetic enough. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

Honestly, even then what I really wanted was to put a pin in the relationship and just be on my own for a few more years and do things without being responsible to anyone.   Right person, wrong time. 

OK, I can understand that.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

+1  I can not imagine dh as a father in his 20's.  He would have been a disaster.   In his 20's he was much more... volatile.  Not in a mean or violent way, but just less patient, more emotional.   He would not have had the patience for a kid then. 

I got a chuckle out of this because I had no patience when my kids are born.  Patience quickly came upon me though ... no choice.

Not at it at all. 

Roses Revenge

I was 26.  He was 23. It will be 44 years in April. 

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Tomorrow will be worse

30, not married, not worried, been living in sin for 3 years now

I was 32 and divorced at 42.  Believe me, I never planned on that.  Things don't always work out.  

But, I just got engaged last week.    We've been dating for 2 1/2 years. 

- Anya

A Saucy Wench

I was 32 and divorced at 42.  Believe me, I never planned on that.  Things don't always work out.  

Congratulations!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Congrats, Anya!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congrats, Anya!

Thanks guys.  Sorry to steal this thread :-)    

I'm bringing them all to Detroit tomorrow morning.  And, by " all "  I mean his two kids.  He's a widower with two little love bugs 4 and 9.  Telling the older one, was really scary for me.  I just didn't want to do anything to make her think I'm trying to replace her mom. But, she was happy.  She wants to be in the wedding ( we wern't planning one) and wants to know where "we're" going for a honeymoon :-)

What I've learned in the last few years -- I can't explain it.  I'm the luckiest girl in the world!  

btw, me and the ex could not have kids. 

- Anya

AnneCA

Congratulations, Anya!

I got married at 28 (DH was 27), and we just passed our 15th anniversary.  We waited to have kids, though, and our first was born shortly before my 35th birthday, so we had a relatively long time (7 yrs) to be a childless married couple, and I'm happy we got married early enough that the biological clock was still just ticking, not booming.  We were working hard, but travelled and had a great time.  And, never mind age bringing patience to the task of parenting, those years also gave me time to learn patience for the task of marriage.  Still working on both, of course.

an amazing likeness

Congratulations Anya! 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

For me....we started as a couple when I was 24, she was 33. Together for 27 years now, married some time in the middle. 

For goodness sake Tangerine -- you're in college. In one of the most vibrant, expressive and engaging places in North America. Hope you're not worrying about whether you'll ever find the right someone now!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

For me....started as a couple when I was 24, she was 33. Together for 27 years now, married some time in the middle.   [I can't remember what year we got married and was trying to dance around it...but there it's out now, isn't it....]

For goodness sake Tangerine -- you're in college. In one of the most vibrant, expressive and engaging places in North America. Hope you're not worrying about whether you'll ever find the right someone now!

No worries, I am not rushing at all! I love my life. Grad school in Montreal? Living the dream! 

All out of curiosity and as a result of all the wedding invites I've been receiving lately... from people I think are just too young and green to get married so soon! 

It is interesting that many of the replies from folks who were married in their early 20s now have children in their 20s - who are not married! The trends are indeed changing! 

Your perspective of age changes over time, I suppose. Even some friends in their upper 20s getting married I still think -- you're just kids! We're just kids! 

It's all just interesting to me! 

"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -- Leonard Bernstein

Prince of Fatness

It is interesting that many of the replies from folks who were married in their early 20s now have children in their 20s - who are not married! The trends are indeed changing!

My daughter got married in 2009 at age 22, to a guy 2 years older and is just now getting finished with med school.  I forgot to mention that, heh.  Funny thing is that my wife and I thought that she was a little young to be getting married even though we weren't that much older when we did.

Not at it at all.