moisture wicking clothes and fabric softeners (Read 2193 times)

I made a mistake the other day and washed some of my moisture wicking running clothes with a liquid fabric softener. My question is does anyone know if they are "ruined" forever or will they continue to wick?
      just wash them again, you should be okay.... Penguin Sport Wash ( orange bottle) is awesome stuff and " Claims" to restore the wicking properties to your clothes. We just started using it, as our running gear was putting a real hurtin on the oxyclean and regular soap supply... We got two bottles for around 20 bucks at REI.

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

I should think a couple washes would get out the fabric softener. Then again, where I am, it's so hot and humid, nothing is really wicking anyway.
          Thanks for the info. I hoped 1 wash would not hurt them!

Misinformation Officer

FWIW, Penguin is a LOT better than Win, as far as tech clothes specialty cleaners. It's so hot here that I still have to oxyclean and then Penguin sometimes, when the funk builds up.

Giants Fan

Ok, so you aren't supposed to use liquid fabric softener with dry wick? What else aren't you supposed to use?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Ok, so you aren't supposed to use liquid fabric softener with dry wick? What else aren't you supposed to use?
                No dryer sheets either. Nothing that claims to make clothes "softer." These products work by depositing a waxy reside on the fabric. Although it makes normal fabrics feel nice and silky, it blocks the moisture pathways for technical fabrics preventing them from drawing sweat away from the skin.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

No dryer sheets either. Nothing that claims to make clothes "softer." These products work by depositing a waxy reside on the fabric. Although it makes normal fabrics feel nice and silky, it blocks the moisture pathways for technical fabrics preventing them from drawing sweat away from the skin.
                  This is why you should not use fabric softeners on towels either if you want them to dry you. It's funny that most fabric softener commercials show towels. ;-) - R

Giant Flaming Dork

Seriously? No Way! I never knew how that stuff worked...

http://xkcd.com/621/

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Are you even supposed to dry tech clothes at all or is it better to let them air dry?

TRUST THE PROCESS

I always air dry my Tech Clothes.... they dry so fast anyway!

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Misinformation Officer

Re drying tech clothes, it depends. Some of them actually state "to restore tech properties, dry on low setting" esp. some of the waterproof/breathable materials.
                          jgage

spam
                            jgage

spam
                              LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

All this is news to me.  I've just been washing my tech fabrics with everything else and hang dry.  I'm happy, so I think I'll forget I saw this thread.