They Did It! (Read 895 times)

I'm so proud of my kids, so please excuse this shameless brag. My 14 yo daughter and I have been running together for about a year and we've done a handful of 5Ks together. She has always ran with me in the races, and since I'm a slow runner, she never really knew what a true PR for herself could be. I kept telling her to run on her own, but she didn't want to leave me at the back of the pack by myself. Today she decided to give it a shot. Her goal was to run the 5K in under 30 minutes and she did it - 28:13! I know if she continued to train at a faster 'easy' pace, she could continue to cut that time. My son is 11 and began running this summer. He's not a naturally athletic kiddo - takes after me that way - but wanted to run because he saw that his sister and I were enjoying our time together. He has been doing a modified C25K, and the last run he did was 2 miles. He decided he wanted to run today's race with us, so I had a new running partner! His goal today was to get out there and have fun, but halfway through it he decided he wanted to run the whole thing without stopping to walk. And he did it! We finished in 40:48, and we got passed by a walker (hey - he was zooming!) but we did it. And we had fun together, which is really what this is all about for me. (Modified because I can't type...)
    -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.

Giants Fan

How awesome!! I love watching my daughter race....seems like as parents we get more out of supporting them than our own running. Tell the kiddos CONGRATULATIONS!! Now, what are you doing to celebrate?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zzz

wow congrats to your daughter and to all of you for running together as a family!!! Great Job!!! Big grin

I'm so proud of my kids, so please excuse this shameless brag.
          This is the perfect place for shameless bragging on the part of your kids. You are excused!
          Her goal was to run the 5K in under 30 minutes and she did it - 28:13! I know if she continued to train at a faster 'easy' pace, she could continue to cut that time.
          Nice work! Congrats to her!
          His goal today was to get out there and have fun, but halfway through it he decided he wanted to run the whole thing without stopping to walk. And he did it! We finished in 40:48, and we got passed by a walker (hey - he was zooming!) but we did it. And we had fun together, which is really what this is all about for me.
          Nice work again! He'll be under 30 by the time he's his sister's age no problem! And don't feel bad about getting passed by a walker. There some of those guys that can go 50 kilometers in just over 4 hours, which is where I'd normally say that that ain' walking, except it is.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that is so excellent! Give your kids hugs and high-5s from me. They both deserve it! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's awesome! I love to hear about when kids succeed in what they set out to do! Especially when it comes to running.

Michelle

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats! It is great to here about kids enjoying running with their old people. Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Very nice! It's good to see the kids doing it, and even better as a family. That is a great accomplishment to brag about and well deserved praise. I hope that they stay motivated and stick with it! Big grin
                  - Tony

Another Passion

Very cool! Congratulations to her, and you for encouraging her! Wink

Rick
                    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C Smile that the kids and you run together. Great that the kids enjoy it, can't ask for more than that!

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

That is soooo awesome. Nothing can beat spending quality time with your kids, doing something you enjoy, and that is good for you too. Give 'em both congrats for me! Ok...back to work Smile
                        redleaf

Very cool! Congrats to both of them!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362