Zits (Read 1175 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Am I the only one who finds that they have increased issues with acne when running? I rarely had any pimples as a teenager, but once I hit my 20s they started a bit. Running has seemed to increase the acne issues. A couple of weeks ago I found one of those systems like Proactive, but it burned the crap out of my skin after only 2 days--I had no acne for almost a week, but my skin was VERY red, dry, angry, and then peeled. The peeling is gone, but the zits are returning. Any solutions you guys and gals have found? I am thinking about looking into prescription options that don't use harsh chemicals. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have the same problem - running related acne but very sensitive skin. I have been able to keep it under control with a couple of things: 1) Twice a day, I use an acne cleanser and moisturize with a noncomodogenic moisturizer afterward. My cleanser is Neutrogena's Acne Wash. It is also important to wash it as soon as you're done running. 2) I started using an acne cream on just the affected areas, lightly, once a day. Neutrogena has one that pretty gentle - I can't remember what it is called but it has salycilic acid instead of benzoyl peroxide. After easing into the use and gradually increasing the amount, I was able to get my skin used to it without having the red, swollen, peely spots that I had experienced in the past. I have been able to switch to one of the benzoyl peroxide creams now with no trouble I should note that mine looked worse for a week or two before it got better. Best of luck to you! Jenny
      Jenny
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I may try that, Jenny (and I notice we are about the same age, as I am just shy of 34). I've liked the Neutrogena acne products in the past, too...they do help a bit, but I still have to be careful with dryness. My skin is pretty combination and sensitive. I really think most acne treatments are designed for teenagers with oily skin. Man, I wish I would have had my zits as a kid and been done with them. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

from your picture it looks like you're wearing bell-bottoms..are those coming back again ??? I thought these days its the return of those stretchy skinny jeans like they had in late 80s...
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, that's some weird distortion from the reflection on my car...though those are bootcuts. I LOVE bootcuts. I have really large calves and most straight-leg jeans are too snug on my lower leg. Bootcuts camouflage my trees. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm in the same age area as you too, and I find that if I do a good run and don't wash my face within about half an hour, I really break out. I saw those commercials on TV for people who have "my mother's wrinkles and my daughter's pimples" from Oil of Olay, so I use the Olay daily effects cleanser well, daily! It's got salicylic acid too and other stuff to fight aging signs Tongue Took about two weeks for my skin to calm down and get used to it, and now it's pretty under control. Sucks to have zits at our age!!!!
              1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I've really liked the Olay products in the past--I think I will try some of that. My current moisturizer (aloe stuff for sensitive skin from The Body Shop) is about gone, so I need to get more, anyhow. Most of my runs are done in the AM while my son is in school and I usually end up stretching in the shower, so I rarely have more than 10 minutes between finishing my runs and getting cleaned-up. I think the worst of my problems are hormonal. One more reason I don't dread menopause. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool...I found a new Olay product, "Total Effects." It's for skin that is both blemish-prone and starting to show aging (ie for us 30-somethings who still have acne issues). It's a really light moisturizer with mild salicylic acid. It also seems to have a little bit of an oil-absorbing ingredient. It feels really nice on my skin with no shininess. There's a cleanser, too, but I'm going to use up my Neutrogena salicylic foam stuff first. It's not cheap ($18), but if it works...it's worth it. It only takes a small blob to cover my entire face, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

Hmmm - that may be worth a try! I'll check it out when I run out of what I have now... Thanks for the info!
                    Jenny
                      I think the worst of my problems are hormonal. One more reason I don't dread menopause. k
                      You, apparently, are fantasizing that menopause is going to fix your acne issues??? I didn't have acne as a teen, or even as an adult, until my hysterectomy & subsequent menopause. And now it is a constant battle. I'm always switching moisturizers, cleansers, etc to find the perfect combination...still working on it. Although, among the numerous other benefits I've seen, being in our local fitness center's overly chlorinated pool seems to be helping some?!
                      So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                        I was having a lot of trouble with my skin (I'm 24, no skin problems as a teenager). I really like Origins stuff for my face. I use Checks and Balances as face wash and their charcol mask occassionally.
                        2009: BQ?
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You, apparently, are fantasizing that menopause is going to fix your acne issues??? I didn't have acne as a teen, or even as an adult, until my hysterectomy & subsequent menopause. And now it is a constant battle. I'm always switching moisturizers, cleansers, etc to find the perfect combination...still working on it.
                          *fingers in ears* Lalalalalaa...I'm not listening to Eryn....lalalalalala! Trishie, I have heard good things about Origins stuff, too. I know there's a store about an hour away. If this Olay stuff doesn't do the trick I'd definitely be willing to try it. k

~ Sarah Kay

*fingers in ears* Lalalalalaa...I'm not listening to Eryn....lalalalalala! k
                            Lalalala all you want, sister...talk to me when your hot flashin'..... And you think your insomnia is bad now, just wait!!! Wink
                            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Lalalala all you want, sister...talk to me when your hot flashin'..... And you think your insomnia is bad now, just wait!!! Wink
                              Welcome back Eryn! I missed you!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cool...I found a new Olay product, "Total Effects." It's for skin that is both blemish-prone and starting to show aging (ie for us 30-somethings who still have acne issues). It's a really light moisturizer with mild salicylic acid. It also seems to have a little bit of an oil-absorbing ingredient. It feels really nice on my skin with no shininess. There's a cleanser, too, but I'm going to use up my Neutrogena salicylic foam stuff first. It's not cheap ($18), but if it works...it's worth it. It only takes a small blob to cover my entire face, too. k
                                Update: A few months after first trying the Olay stuff I discovered this: It's about a third the price of the Olay and I actually like it better...that almost never happens! Now watch, they'll go and discontinue it! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay