Potty training (Read 563 times)

Running Dad

Ok I'm asking advice from all those parents out there.. My oldest daughter is just around 20 months and we're trying to start the potty training thing.. We know that in a few months we will have other things to worry about with the youngest daughter, ie walking and stuff, and we just don't want things to go to the wayside.. any advice on getting started? here's just a few things to know.. 1. Mom is at work 5 days a week during the day so it's me. No way to show by example. :-) 2. For some reason she gets scared, like it's a punishment or something. Any other time she thought it was fun. The sooner we can get started the less diapers I have to change and let me tell you, I won't be complaining. Thanks in advance.
    Things to do this year:
    Not get an injury
    Things done this year:
    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We did stickers on the calendar, which worked pretty well--you could do larger rewards for certain #s of stickers/week. And lots of cheering. Of course, you have to really watch what you say. At one point we told Dane that only big men could say "crap" (he was 3 before we had him fully day trained). So one time we were cheering and acting looney after he went on the toilet and we made the mistake of saying "hey, you're a big man!" His response..."am I a big man to say crap?" Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My legs are killing me

As the father of 5 I can speak from experience. Each child has a different time schedule and you have to be patient. I would just continue to encourage her to use the potty and one day the light bulb will go off in her head and she'll start. Being afraid to use it was always a challenge in our house. Kids think they are going to fall in. Try having her sit on it with her clothes on until she feels confident that she won't fall in. Once that happens I think your over the hump. Mr. Mom
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sully is definitely right. Dane took forever, but like with most things as soon as HE decided it was time he was a pro within 24 hours. She may prefer a freestanding potty chair, or maybe just a "butt adaptor" for the standard toilet. We bought Dane a fancy potty chair, but he preferred the squishy seat thing that sits on top of the regular toilet. He still uses that for #2 because he has such a skinny butt.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

ITA with Sully - we couldn't rush our kids into potty training. One of them took FOREVER! Getting upset or impatient with them does no good at all. In the long run, it goes much more smoothly when it's in their time frame - months of struggling is no fun! Good luck - before you know it, they will be learning to drive. Shocked

The voice of mile 18

agreed it is up to them when they are ready to try IMHO at least

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Big Chicken!

DD7 was easy. Candy and sticker rewards worked like a charm. My DS5 made it difficult, but I learned a lot. He showed just the slightest bit of interest so we jumped on it. After 2 months of attempts we chose to take a break. We were making ourselves crazy, coming up with new ways to keep the kid motivated. What happened. The little PITA decided after 2 weeks of us backing off that he would do it on his own. He trained 100%, day and night. Yes, he is our more difficult child, stubborn as $h!+, strong-willed, hard headed, but absolutely brilliant. He certainly taught us about the differences between children, and to never compare them. We will hopefully be ready when DS2 is ready to potty train...any day now (crosses fingers). Good luck. Remember to not push her too hard. She'll do it when she's ready (and right after you've just bought a new package of diapers Tongue)
                Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                  If she's scared and thinks of it as punishment, she's not ready. Forcing/rushing a child to potty learn when they clearly are not ready can only lead to problems. I would leave it as an open opportunity but not hound her about it. Just remind her once a day that the potty is there and you will help her when she wants to try. Yes, you can lead by example even though you are daddy. Obviously, not the mechanics of it but it's more about, "I have to go potty and when I have to go potty I go to the bathroom..." talk about how it's a good thing and whatever positive things you can think of. As a mother of 4 boys, I can't remember ever having a moment of peace being in the bathroom alone. Roll eyes May as well make it a learning opportunity when they follow you around everywhere. Blush On the larger scale, 2 is young as far as the potty goes. I know many kids who were much much later. It's ok.

Jennifer mm#1231

The light bulb went off for our 2 year old son when we purchased the Elmo Potty Video and some Elmo underwear. Needless to say - we saw that video more times than we wanted but he understood the process. Plus - it was always funny to hear us say "do not poop or pee on Elmo". Good luck. A potty trained child is a great thing .... Kevin
                    Don't let the fat fool you .....

Running Dad

Thanks for all the info.. I think we're just gonna take it really slow and see how it goes. Hopefully she'll just change her mind and decide to do it on her own. Now if I can just keep her from biting her sister's fingers.. hmmm...
                      Things to do this year:
                      Not get an injury
                      Things done this year:
                      Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

Prophet!

we had a hard time with our son. He was never bothered by dirty diapers...finally at around 2.5 years old we had to tell him that we don't have anymore diapers...after about two weeks of minor accidents here and there, he is now good to go.
                        Lisa3.1

Hi I have a two year old son. He is almost consistently using the potty, but just when he has to urinate. He has seen us go and when he does, I emphasis that that's where he has to go when he has to go. the same with when he has to change, I take it there and emphasis more that that's where it goes. does that make sense Hth Lisa
                          Lisa3.1

We did stickers on the calendar, which worked pretty well--you could do larger rewards for certain #s of stickers/week. And lots of cheering.
                            that's a Great idea.
                              Agree with the fact that each kid will do it when they are ready. We told our older son that when he no longer needed diapers that we would have a "Bye Bye Diapers" Party. He got excited about this and eventually it worked. We invited over a few family members, my wife baked a cake and we had a celebration where he threw his leftover diapers into a trash bag while we all sang "Na, na, na na....Na, na, na, na, Hey, hey, hey...goodbye!" He still had a few accidents after this (for some reason it was always at other people's houses - sorry!), but he was 95% potty trained at that point.

Prophet!

of course, when you are all happy that you're child is potty-trained, you get stuck in horrendous traffic and you hear the dreaded 'daddy...i have to go poopoo', then commence driving like a maniac to the next rest stop or McDonalds.