Flying Pig in Cincinnati (Read 850 times)

JakeKnight

I would pass on Hatfield & McCoy and spend the Summer building up ...
    Ha! Sure you would.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha! Sure you would.
      Excellent point. Put differently, I have been lusting the H&M marathon for several years now, but it is out of the way for my annual drive to Duluth to run Grandma's. The fact that it is a week before Grandma's does not bother me, as you know. It is just a logistical challenge for my family. And if I can't run it, you shouldn't either.
      JakeKnight

.... interestingly enough, I was just checking that race out the other day .... if things worked out and your arm was sufficiently twisted, could you be talked into doing it? Sounds cool. I love how you run by actual sites of the feud ... as in "at the mile 4 marker, Bubba Hatfied was ritually decapitated by some of the McCoy brothers in 1873 ... and just past the halfway point, you can see where four McCoy cousins were strung up from an oak tree which is still standing ..." Now that's a cool race. Anybody who thinks I'm kidding, go check out the site. It's pretty gruesome stuff.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

if things worked out and your arm was sufficiently twisted, could you be talked into doing it?
          Yes. But my wife would probably kill me. Dead. And then there'd be no issue.
          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay here is my plan. I am going to run more miles per week. Starting in the next week or so after healing up. I will plan to run something like this: Mon Easy 10 miles Tue Tempo Run of 6 miles (1 easy mile, 4 miles at race pace (7:30 - 8:00) then 1 easy mile. Wed Off Thur Easy 10 miles Fri Off Sat Easy 14 - 24 miles (will vary) Sun Off At a minimum I will get in 40 miles at Max 50. My biggest problem is running easy. I'm not sure I know how to do this or even if I am capable of doing this. I am going to start wearing my heart rate monitor to maybe help me. Couple of more questions. Looking at my times from the Marathon and knowing that I will be training on a much flatter course what should an easy pace be for me. I am thinking 8:30. What should my tempo run be? I am thinking 7:30 - 8:00 for 4 miles in the middle. Thoughts?
              2011 Goals:
              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
            JakeKnight

Yes. But my wife would probably kill me. Dead. And then there'd be no issue.
              So what's the downside for me?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

BearCat, can you run both days on the weekend? If you can, I would then do one 10 miler per week and 2 five milers, with one on the weekend and one midweek. Your tempo pace should be around your 10k - HM pace (i.e., perhaps a minute/mile faster than your marathon pace), but really just run it hard and steady. JK, my wife would come looking for you after she was done with me.
                JakeKnight

BearCat, can you run both days on the weekend? If you can, I would then do one 10 miler per week and 2 five milers, with one on the weekend and one midweek. Your tempo pace should be around your 10k - HM pace (i.e., perhaps a minute/mile faster than your marathon pace), but really just run it hard and steady. JK, my wife would come looking for you after she was done with me.
                  Hmmm. Again I'm not seeing the downside here. Is she armed? Bearcat: I pretty much agree with Trent. Personally I'd lose at least one or two of the days off. I'm not even sure I'd worry much about the tempo run, either, and I'd keep the long runs shorter for now. Nothing but base building and easy mileage for a while. Then again, if you really truly can't make yourself run at an easy 9:00-9:30 (or slower) pace on easy days - maybe days off are a good idea. They're better than running too hard every day.

Imminent Catastrophe

.... interestingly enough, I was just checking that race out the other day .... if things worked out and your arm was sufficiently twisted, could you be talked into doing it? Sounds cool. I love how you run by actual sites of the feud ... as in "at the mile 4 marker, Bubba Hatfied was ritually decapitated by some of the McCoy brothers in 1873 ... and just past the halfway point, you can see where four McCoy cousins were strung up from an oak tree which is still standing ..." Now that's a cool race. Anybody who thinks I'm kidding, go check out the site. It's pretty gruesome stuff.
                    Hey guys, I've done the H&M half (I was a McCoy in 2005) and am doing the full this year. It's really a lot of fun. Water EVERY mile! Good Schwag! Only one little tiny insignificant hill! Pasta dinner included! And a free history lesson too. Just do it! --Edited to add-- Oops, just saw the posting under the other thread. Seriously, H&M is a really fun, low-key race with great logistical support, almost no crowd support, only one real hill at mile 8 if I recall correctly. Around 300 runners this year, I think. They do have chip timing. It can be quite warm and humid, true. It's also a bargain for a marathon. According to Google Maps it's 250 miles from Cincy.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Hmmm. Again I'm not seeing the downside here. Is she armed? Bearcat: I pretty much agree with Trent. Personally I'd lose at least one or two of the days off. I'm not even sure I'd worry much about the tempo run, either, and I'd keep the long runs shorter for now. Nothing but base building and easy mileage for a while. Then again, if you really truly can't make yourself run at an easy 9:00-9:30 (or slower) pace on easy days - maybe days off are a good idea. They're better than running too hard every day.
                      I agree too. One thing that I noticed is that your 20-milers are "hill" runs. Unh-uh. Long runs should be easy aerobic runs and hill runs should be much harder but shorter. They should be high-intensity workouts that build leg strength. That would have really helped you at the Pig, I think. However, as Trent and Jake were saying, wait until you have a better base before starting hillwork, then build gradually.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Hey guys, I've done the H&M half (I was a McCoy in 2005) and am doing the full this year. It's really a lot of fun. Water EVERY mile! Good Schwag! Only one little tiny insignificant hill! Pasta dinner included! And a free history lesson too. Just do it!
                        I doubt the logistics will work out and I'm not sure I'll be in this part of the country in a month ... but if all that comes together, I'll definitely try to get there. Sounds like a hoot.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Does this make any sense. In the next month I want to run a 5K with at least a 7:30 pace (BQ time) beg of June. Then in another month I want to run a 15K with at least a 7:30 pace Beg July. Then try to run the Columbus Marathon at an 8:30 pace. This will give me 4 months to train. Columbus is a flatter course and I will be training in hotter weather so when Columbus comes in October I will be running in cooler weather. I think I need to learn how feed my body during long runs during this time. I am hoping to do my 20 mile loop on the flying pig cours once a month. However, most of my runs will be shorter then 16 miles. You guys are awesome thanks for all of the help. I know you probably just read what I wrote above and think I am not listening but that can't be further from the truth. I am really trying to understand. Mon Off Tue Easy 8 miles Wed Tempo Run of 6 miles (1 easy mile, 4 miles at race pace (7:30 - 8:00) then 1 easy mile. Thur Easy 8 miles Fri Off Sat Easy 10 - 20 miles (will vary) Sun Easy 6-8 miles (depending on Sat run).
                            2011 Goals:
                          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Do you guys believe in The McMillan Running Calculator? http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
                              2011 Goals:
                            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

What is up with all of the monkey/Ape avatars?
                                2011 Goals:
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Your schedule looks good. I would alternate long run weeks with shorter weeks. Since you have until October, you should probably drop your longest runs down to 12-14, then increase them by 1-2 miles every other week. On the alternate weeks, just run 10-12 as your longest run. McMillan is good for giving guidelines for your training paces. McMillan is fairly optomistic when prediciting race performances, particularly when trying to predict marathon times. Generally McMillan will predict a marathon finish time from a half marathon and you will come in 10-30 minutes slower than it predicts. Especially if your total miles are low and/or you do not have a lot of marathon experience. Columbus is a good marathon, but it may still be very hot in October. My avatar is the logo from the monkey marathon. I am beholden to that beast. JK is just an ape.