Flying Pig in Cincinnati (Read 850 times)

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't stress fractures more of a function of quantity of running as opposed to speed? (And also to sudden increases in either of the above?). Just askin'
    In my experience, no. Stress fractures usually happen when an athlete increase the stress on his or bones too quickly over a short period. The increase could be from more mileage, more intensity, harder surfaces or something else. In my case the increase was in too many fast intervals on hard surfaces (an indoor track.) One rule of thumb with stress fractures is if it hurts stop doing it. When I had a stress fracture in my foot, I could run easy mileage on the roads with no pain. As soon as I ran fast, I felt some pain. As soon as I ran fast around tight corners on the mondo-over-concrete indoor track, I felt acute pain.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jeff, I did not catch this question earlier. I agree with Mikey. You can get a stress fracture from too much effort, to much intensity, too much quantity, the wrong shoes, worn out shoes and underlying muscular or ligamentous inflammation (such as shin splints). Too much stress and you will get a break.
      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Yeah my racing pictures always look bad. Who has time to smile when you are trying to find a medic to take you to the hospital Big grin ?
          2011 Goals:
          Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
          Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Imminent Catastrophe

Jeff, I did not catch this question earlier. I agree with Mikey. You can get a stress fracture from too much effort, to much intensity, too much quantity, the wrong shoes, worn out shoes and underlying muscular or ligamentous inflammation (such as shin splints). Too much stress and you will get a break.
          Running a 22-miler at PR pace, 10 days before the marathon where you run a PR. on concrete? Uh, not so good Black eye

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yeah, years ago I also discovered that 1000+ interval-filled miles on one pair of shoes didn't help matters much either... Blush

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.