Good Listens (Read 112 times)

My commute home's a bit longer now.  I like to use the time to listen to interesting stuff (or music).

So, far my fare has been primarily 1) irunfar interviews (elite ultrarunners tend to be interesting people, too), 2) TED Talks.  Any recommendations re: interviews or lectures available on the web (running-related or otherwise)? I do not have an iPod/iPhone. But I do have an Android smartphone. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

My commute home's a bit longer now.  I like to use the time to listen to interesting stuff (or music).

So, far my fare has been primarily 1) irunfar interviews (elite ultrarunners tend to be interesting people, too), 2) TED Talks.  Any recommendations re: interviews or lectures available on the web (running-related or otherwise)? I do not have an iPod/iPhone. But I do have an Android smartphone. 

Nads-

If you find IRF interviews interesting (I find them painfully hard to listen to sometimes) then

maybe you would like Talk Ultra.  And each pod cast one is quite long.  I down load from

iTunes but I think you can get them directly from the from the site.

steph  

Nads-

If you find IRF interviews interesting (I find them painfully hard to listen to sometimes) then

maybe you would like Talk Ultra.  And each pod cast one is quite long.  I down load from

iTunes but I think you can get them directly from the from the site.

I was able to get a link to the talks. Thanks, TO!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

This American Life got me through many a midwest-state.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Runner100

Marc Maron's WTF podcast is often amusing and entertaining. http://www.wtfpod.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me and Pop Culture Happy Hour (both NPR).  Audiobooks are awesome, too.  I made it through all of David Sedaris' novels while training for marathons a few years back.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For  podcasts I like " 99% Invisible" which is kinda about design and "Philosophy Bites" about um philosophy. I also listen to Marathon Talk, which is UK based

A

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

...old dude list...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

dennrunner

Joann Y

I really like the BBC player app on the android. Tons of good lectures. Literature, philosophy, science, Etc. Good stuff. Music too I think, although I generally will listen to my own music. If you are willing to pay money, The Teaching Company has fantastic lectures you can download. Not sure about android compatibility. Also plenty of books on Audible.

Not dead. Yet.

Marc Maron's WTF podcast is often amusing and entertaining. http://www.wtfpod.com/

+1  I have been turned on as well.  Funny, smart as hell, irreverent.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Cracked.com recently started up a podcast that I've been enjoying.  Surprisingly in-depth, considering the source, but with a healthy dose of snark.

Stuff You Should Know is another good one.  And in the "short but good" category, Skeptoid.

MTA:  Another one I thought of: NPR's "Snap Judgement."  Really good storytelling.  It's billed as "storytelling with a beat," meaning the filler music is a mix of hip-hop beats and the urban-sounding host giving his own personal anecdotes, but after just a few episodes, I've sort of filtered that out and have been really enjoying the interviews and stories.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

djs

Marathon talk.

Resident Sk8r boi

3 non joggers. Crude, irreverent running talk. I had trouble listening to it while running because I was laughing too hard.

...old dude list is of no interest to young Nader...

On the contrary! Please repost.

Thanks for all the cool recommendations, gang. Runners are wicked smaht.

Zoomy, I heard Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. Loved it. I like when the author is the reader, e.g. Sedaris and Gladwell.