My Marathon Report (Read 658 times)

Go Pre!

Well, here is one of many possible Columbus Marathon Reports as there were several of us there. Unfortunately we weren't able to hook up for various reasons but I did recognize Dave (Tuf-aint-enough) a the start line port o potty which was nice. BTW - This was my 2nd full marathon. With 10,000 runners packed into a relatively tight starting area I never saw Tuf or anyone else after that. Let it be known it was also hard to find a port o potty that didn't have a long line up but in retrospect I wish I had waited. I ended up needing to visit the first set on the route and blew almost 2 minutes away (I got budded in front of twice!). I made the mistake of trying to make up for lost time by getting myself back on track, ignoring Garmin's "Slow Down" message for the next couple of miles. My sore right knee (ITBS) acted up immediately but I felt would be bearable for the 26.2. I stumbled on a sidewalk crack and very VERY nearly did a face plant making my way back down to the road. I only headed up to the side walk because some of the side streets were way too narrow to navigate the walkers (they started an hour before the runners) The half marathon also took a shortcut from the course a bit which made it difficult when they came back as it made them almost a mile behind so that meant we were having to pass slower pace runners. You use a lot of energy weaving around and avoiding bumping. My Garmin also measured 26.5 at the end so I did a fair amount of weaving throughout the race! So with the race course layout my wife and Cameron (7 yr old) were able to walk me to the start and then meet me at 10 miles, 15 miles and the finish. It was nice although once more at 20 or 22 miles would have been lovely. At ten miles I picked up my Gu's from them, and a knee tensor that I wasn't sure I was going to need. I am glad I got it as it seemed to suppress the pain a bit. At the 15 mile mark my parents joined them. The weather being as good as it was allowed them to enjoy the race much more than last time where it was cold and rainy. I finished the first half in 1:50 and felt I could repeat that for the 2nd half. I was originally gunning for 3:30 or so but I knew with the reduced training due to my knee that it was not going to be possible. By 17 miles I knew it was going to be a rough finish. My left leg began to fatigue due to compensating so much for the right. By 20 miles, the wall was all too present. I didn't eat well the day before (traveling with my parents is not a good idea for scheduling meal times or anything for that matter) I walked around the Easton Town Centerfor far too long...but how can you not, it is a great place to shop! This was also right after the race expo and then the kids races so I basically ruled out any great expectations right then and there. The highlight of the weekend was Cammy coming in 2nd in the 6-8 yr old race, beaten only by an 8 yr old (About a half mile). By mile 21 I was done and the walking began. Everything hurt and when I pulled my leg up to stretch my quads at mile 22 my hammies locked up and I could barely straighten my leg back out. I was a mess! I was seriously thinking it may be possible I don't finish. The hardest thing I have ever done was that last 6 miles. I know that is a marathon standard line but man, I was done. At 23 miles the 3:50 pace bunny passed me during a walk break and I tried to get going and finish with them but I could not maintain their pace any longer. Also, it got pretty hot. Not 'Chicago' hot but hot for me. I haven't done a warm weather run for months. To make it worse, I have a habit of migrating to the right side of the road, and in this case, it this kept leading me into the sunniest parts. I would consciously make my way back to the shade only to find myself in the sun a minute later! At mile 25 I felt mysteriously 'awesome' and whipped off a sub 9 minute mile but then conked out again, as I suspected I might. At mile 26, my hammie locked up again and I couldn't move. I could see the last turn heading to the finish but I had to limp over to the side walk and stretch it out. A policeman said I was right there and to keep moving but I told him I was stuck and he laughed!! I got going again and managed to limp around the last corner and fortunately a downhill to the finish. I managed a smile as I tucked in a minute and 20 seconds faster than my first marathon. 3:55:15, a small victory... No, make that a huge victory considering all of the circumstances. I spent about 15 minutes with a paramedic afterwards and then another 15 in the medical tent. I was diluted. I went to see them because I felt really dizzy and it hurt to pee...even though no pee came out! I got worried so went t them to make sure I was fine. Turns out the Gu's I avoided to take because I didn't want stomach cramps was a bad idea. I took 1 gu before the start, 1 at 10 miles another at 15 and a another at 22. I only had a few cups of gatorade during the race so basically I was electro-low! With my reduced mileage training I am feeling it today. Sore everywhere! Both knees now hurt and I can't get up after sitting for more than 10 minutes. Finally, I need to sleep more. I tried to change my regime of going to bed at midnight every night but it is a hard habit to break. More sleep is a sure fire way to improve my running and overall health. I learned a lot (again) and I am actually looking forward to the next one to see how much of what I learned I can apply and hopefully have strong, recovered knees to train harder. The city of Columbus was awesome, the crowd support...AMAZING! I got lots of "Go Canada" as the shirt I was wearing was red with white maple leafs on the front and Canada on the back. Great route - with more than enough water stops. I have said I will never race the same marathon twice but I am already considering doing this one again. Once again, thanks to everyone here at RA for their camaraderie and support! Dave

Another Passion

You totally HTFU in that race DaddyO! Way to finish under the circumstances and to do so in a good time considering all that was going on, or not, with your body! You, and all the other running cronies on this site, are an inspiration to me! I can't wait for my first go-round with the marathon in April! Nice job! Heal up, my friend.

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

LOL HTFU is where I am at now, but the H is now for Heal!
          This is Dave. He cut off his arm on a dare, and he set a PR with his hammies locking up on him. Spot on Dave! A perfect 10 on the HTFU scale.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

That's an awesome PR and race Dave- in spite of everything else you had going on during training and the race. Way to go!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

derek

You did a great job pushing through considering all your ITBS problems. Take care of that knee!!

Derek

Way to go Daddyo! Thank you for a great racereport. I am glad I did not have to do it. It sounded very tough. Now it is time to get the sleep and let the knees get some long overdue rest. If your body suddenly bounces back, well there is this M in Hamilton and I do not think potholes and crowds will be an issue (closed off brand new highway) maybe 300 runners for the full M. Take care! ArneParne
                Goals 2008 1: BQ/PB <3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman done="" feb="" 17th="" bq="" 3:27="" 2:="" half="" ironman="" done="" aug="" 10="" 3:="" 2="" or="" more="" m.="" done="" feb="" 17th="" and="" boston="" april="" 22.="" 4:="" sprint="" tri="" done="" july="" 5="" goals="" 2009="" 1:="" the=""></3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman>
                derek

To make it worse, I have a habit of migrating to the right side of the road, and in this case, it this kept leading me into the sunniest parts. I would consciously make my way back to the shade only to find myself in the sun a minute later!
                  This is rather interesting. I wonder if all runners have a tendency to run on a particular side of the road, whether consciously or unconsciously? During my marathon, I found myself mostly on the left side, but I didn't "migrate" there, rather, I just chose that side to run on. If anything, I would have though most people would "migrate" to the left since I would assume that's where you tend to run the most if you are training on the road and facing traffic...unless you're British :-)

Derek

Daddyo, way to finish against the odds and still PR. I think you have at least the 3:30 in you once you are healed up. Why would they start the walkers an hour early? That must have made for an insanely crowded first mile or so.

Go Pre!

If anything, I would have though most people would "migrate" to the left since I would assume that's where you tend to run the most if you are training on the road and facing traffic...unless you're British :-)
                      We are runners after all...with many strange things going on. One thing that didn't happen this time around was the desire to 'turn' to the right like a car with 1 front tire low on air. That drove me nuts the last couple miles during my first marathon.
                      Why would they start the walkers an hour early? That must have made for an insanely crowded first mile or so.
                      The first 5 miles was fine as it was along a 4 lane downtown city street. When we headed into the neighborhoods it was nasty. After the race, I spoke to several people who found it to be an issue. It really was the only negative point....other than having to run past some seriously loud speakers from a few of the live bands Shocked MTA: I can't believe the post race photo of me looks this good... I nearly fainted as I waited for him to take this photo!

Lazy idiot

Awesome report, Dave! Way to set a PR through all the difficulties, you definitely H'edTFU. Hopefully for your next one, you'll be able to train without ITBS issues and really rock it. Maybe we'll see you back in town next October? Big grin

Tick tock

Marathonmanleto

Dave-nice report and great job on the race! PR'ing is awesome. Take care.
                            Dave - thanks for the report. Way to gut it out and get a new PR. Most amazing, you are already thinking about the next one, so soon after that tough race! Here's to a quick recovery...
                              Thanks for posting! that ITBS crap! ==> Dead Cry but 26.2 miles with that pain... dude you did awesome.

Vim

va

Nice work Daddyo, you are tough! Congrats on the PR!