Problem with Ipod Nano (Read 1184 times)

My DH gave me an ipod nano for my birthday to replace the $80 Rio Cali that I have had for 3 trouble free years. After 10 days it died and nothing I did seemed to help. Because I was within the 15 allowable days for a return the Wal Mart where he purchased it took it back and gave me a new one. On day 20, the back light on the replacement one went out. I took it to the Apple store 60 miles from here and was told that the problem was caused by water damage and they were under no obligation to fix or replace it. After a long but quite controlled (on my part) conversation about how runners sweat and one of its purposes is to be worn while ,the guy did replace it but told me to stop getting sweat on it because they would not honor the warranty again. So my question to all of you nano owners is- How do you run with your ipod nano and not get sweat on it? Jackie

Jackie

Me and my RP

I put mine in a ziplock bag, open end down and slipped it in my key pocket of my shorts. They do make armbands for it but I started doing the sandwich bag thing during rainy day runs and just stuck with it. After doing this for a few months I decided to play it safe and get a shuffle. I use the nano anytime I'm not runningSmile
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have never heard of this actually being a problem. Weird. But most runners I know also tend to use the shuffle for running...smaller and more water resistant.
          I have worn my nano stuffed in a sweaty pocket and also got caught in the rain. Haven't had any problems. I do have an iPod brand arm band that I've been using lately. I have a Nike+ kit so I can't use the shuffle if I want to measure my runs. Once I was using it and there was a downpour - I was very worried but I was almost home - from then on I bring a sandwich bag to put it in just in case.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Lozza

I've got an armband but the ipod still gets a bit wet from sweat and from the rain, but it hasn't stopped it working, it seems pretty tough. When it's raining I put the ipod on the inside so that it's a bit more protected from the water. Sounds like you may have a dodgy one.
              Put my nano in an armband right after I received it. Finished a five mile run. Walked into the bathroom and lifted the lid. Ipod slipped out of my armband. Made a quiet splash. Quickly pulled it out. Decided not to mess with it for a couple of days to let any circuitry dry out and avoid a short. Turned it on with no problems. Switched to a more secure waist clip. Happy times forever more. Big grin Since then I have been caught in torrential downpours, and exposed it to incomprehensible amounts of sweat. All with no problems. Ziplock bag is always a good idea though.
              - Tony
                I have an armband that I'm pretty sure I bought at Walmart. It encloses the whole thing--it's neoprene with a clear plastic window for the display. I was caught in a pretty big downpour and kept running for about 4 more miles in it. No problems with the ipod. I think having the display covered really makes a difference.
                mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Bought a case from here for my wife for her iPod Gen 5 80G. She uses it to swim laps (along with the recommended headphones) and has not had any problems or water in the case. The case may be a little much for running, but they do have other products on the site as well. http://www.h2oaudio.com/
                    Long post: I bought an Ipod Nano last January and used it for running on the TM at gym five days a week. I wore one of those neoprene sportbands on my arm and admittedly I sweat more than the average non-runner, no surprise. I found that the earbud jack was problematic - kind of a tight fit and before long I was replacing the buds because I couldn't get them in & out easily (to remove ipod from armband) to recharge the ipod when it was low. Ultimately on third set of earbuds, the final pair got stuck and despite gentle rocking and twisting it finally snapped right at the Ipod. A call to apple, they replaced the Ipod and I started anew - this was back in June. I attributed the jack issue to what seemed like maybe?! the build up of sweat/moisture in the sleeve causing the problems - though I certainly didn't tell apple that when I called. Well, my replacement iPod died an untimely death this morning. After a long run yesterday, I took it out of sleeve and yes, it was wet - so I toweled it off a bit (no obvious earbud jack problems with this one) and I plugged it into charge. When I went to remove it after charging there was a wavy white/gray screen. I reset and restored it per Apple's instructions and now it's either a black screen or white screen. Once again, Apple has agreed to service/repair at no cost. I think, this one too has has died from sweat/moisture absorption. Once again, I did not mention the sweat factor though I did say I use it for running. No more armbands for me - I'll try it in my pocket or my waist pack when wear my water belt, I guess.

Misinformation Officer

Sorry for your troubles! How frustrating. I have to admit, I gave DH my fancy screen iPod and got a Shuffle for myself for running and have never regretted it.
                      TJoseph

I run with a Shuffle (a 1Gb is only $50) and have a Nano for travel. I have used the Nano on the treadmill, but I set it on the console so I won't sweat on it. I got the Nano almost a year ago and haven't had a problem with it. My daughter has a 2G Nano and recently accidently sent it through the washing machine. We let it dry for a couple of days and it is still working.
                        kcam

I'm coming up on two years for my Nano 2nd gen and it is still going strong. I use it almost exclusively for running (though not nearly every day), I've never used an armband with it, it just goes in my running shorts pocket. Never a lick of trouble 'cept for replacing headphones when the jack connection get's flaky.
                          JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I have been running with my Nano with an armband and a rubberized holder. No problems up till a week ago. It started to skip and miss after about an hour of running. I think it's getting sweat in it because I run with the cord up which could allow moisture to enter by gravity. I changed how I run with it now so that the cord comes out the bottom and it's been fine. I think with the openings facing up it allowed some moisture in. Thankfully it didn't destroy the Nano.