Recommendations for earplugs for swimming? (Read 106 times)

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

For the last month, whenever I swim I get water trapped in my left ear that does not seem to drain until the next day. It's really annoying because I can't hear much out of that ear for a day. Does anyone have any recommendations for ear plugs that will keep water out when I'm swimming? I tried some from the drugstore and they did no good whatsoever.

Amannrunner

You can go to an Audiologist and get custom ear plugs that work very well.

yeoldefatguy

As a former competitive swimmer I used to get swimmer's ear about once per season and the subsequent ear infection. Have you tried ear drops that have alcohol in them? It will help dry out the ear canal. That helped me. I can't imagine swimming with ear plugs.

Birdwell

I get the speedo silicone earplugs. You can shape them your self, and they do much better than the rubber plug in ones.

like this http://www.speedousa.com/silicone-ear-plugs.shtml

I have terrible ear problems, but swam at a very high competitive level. These were the only ones that worked. I had some custom molded ones, but these silicone ones work just as well, for $5.

TriBee2010

Doc's Pro Plugs. Come in different sizes and work great. Have to order from their on-line store.

bojangles

As a former competitive swimmer I used to get swimmer's ear about once per season and the subsequent ear infection. Have you tried ear drops that have alcohol in them? It will help dry out the ear canal. That helped me. I can't imagine swimming with ear plugs.

To go along with the ear drops- You can make your own at home. Half part vinegar other half part alcohol. Always did the trick for me. And I would get swimmers ear bad every year. Tried almost every ear plug under the sun. From custom made ones to the wax ball type. All of them sucked (for me anyway). Once I found out that the home made ear drops worked great, I never worried again. Nor got swimmers ear.

You could also try a swimming cap.

Elly.

I use alcohol, and never had swimmers ear again.  Pour it in, let it Gluck a little the then empty it out in a towel. Don't think swim caps help at all other than keep my hair from annoying me while I swim.

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

That started happening to me a few years ago.  Years and years with no issues, then overnight I started getting that annoying water trapped in my right ear.  Alcohol and the specialized drops didn't help at all for me, just made it worse.

Go to any drug store chain, they'll have silicone ear plugs that work and are inexpensive.  Don't spend a lot for custom ear plugs, the silicone plugs work great.

I have some from TYR that I got from my local tri store. They have a weird shape outside of the actual plug that fits really well into the shape of my ear. I've never tried any others to compare these too, but they work well for me. They are also supposed to help you hear better than you would with normal plugs, but I still can't hear that well with them in.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Here are the ear plugs that I use

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

JamesWilcox85

spam