Looking for medical advice (Read 277 times)

Ok, just an update.  Here is what I have done:

1) Completely cut out aspartame altogether.  Going on day 6.

2) Self medicating with prednisone 10mg -  4x per day.  Over the counter in Mexico.

Gotta say that my legs haven't felt this good in about 6 months.  So that is great.  Went for a 10 mile run this morning and although it was slower because of the heat, my range of motion was about 100% better.

So now I just need to ween myself off the prednisone over the next week or so and hope that the legs remain pain/inflammation free.

Still no idea what caused it but I guess that is somewhat secondary to getting rid of it.  Whether it is something viral, something auto-immune, or possibly related to the aspartame.

If it comes back, I need a follow up with the doctor to see what might be causing it.

Will keep posted.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Self medicating with prednisone, especially at that dose, is INCREDIBLY dangerous. And unfortunately, if you have been taking that dose for a week or more, stopping it is also incredibly dangerous.

Did you ever get the specifics of the lab tests?

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Self medicating with prednisone, especially at that dose, is INCREDIBLY dangerous. And unfortunately, if you have been taking that dose for a week or more, stopping it is also incredibly dangerous.

Did you ever get the specifics of the lab tests?

Quoted because it is worth emphasizing.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

I have been out of the country for the past 2 weeks so haven't been able to see the doctor.

The first 2 days was 2 x 5 mg

Days 3 and 4 were 4 x 10mg

I plan to drop down slowly over the next week or so though?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is generally no value in sloping up the dose. There may be value in tapering it off as versus stopping it cold. Without knowing the underlying problem, there is no way to know the right treatment. And prednisone makes everyone feel better for a time, no matter the problem. But that does not mean the problem is corrected.

Not trying to scare you. But you probably need to get back to your healthcare provider ASAP before making any further changes.

Ok.  Thanks.  Definitely plan on doing that first thing next week.

As for the dosage, I didn't think it was that much.  I did a fair bit of reading about it and spoke to my mother.  She has been on prednisone many times over the past years (for Chrones) at up to 60-80 mg per day.  And I am twice her size, so I thought this was still somewhat mild.

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Feeling the growl again

T prednisone makes everyone feel better for a time, no matter the problem. 

This.  Having been on prednisone numerous times for allergic reactions, I can predict that the best week of workouts of recent memory will follow.  But it's not a drug I like to be on for any amount of time and would never go on without a strict, complete course understood from a physician.  I've taken Mexican antibiotics with out prescription (even then under medical provider supervision) but prednisone is in another league.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

updates?

I'm thinking of you Rick.

Just got back into the country late last night.  Am pretty much off the prednisone now.  Did the slow taper immediately after the warnings.  Took a total of 10mg today.  5 mg tomorrow, and then will see how things are.

So far, the legs are feeling okay although I am starting to feel some of the issues creep back.  Will have to see.  Today was a tough longer run so I know I will be sore tomorrow but it really is a different kind of sore so I should be able to tell.  Rather than your typical calves/hamstrings/quads,IT band I have issues with all the little connectors in the feet, ankles, behind the knee, hips, and even lower back and fingers, so we will see.  Definitely different than running-related tightness and soreness.

Plan to book appointment tomorrow and hopefully get in to see a Dr. this week.  Will definitely keep you posted.  Thanks for following up.

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Kyle47

spam

Ok, finally got to see the doctor and got the blood tests.

Calcium, Potassium, Creatinine, Sodium all good

Cholesterol great Smile

Negative for all kinds of arthritis or myalgia related diseases.  He also said he wouldn't expect it to be anything disease related because it is just in my legs and not systemic.

So I guess that is all good news.

He has referred me to a chiropractor that specializes in Active Release Therapy (ART).  He is thinking that the chronic tightness is likely related to scar tissue and other cumulative strains that my body has been put through over the years (particularly because of my size).  The good news is that he fears stopping running will make things worse (tighter) so he wants to treat this in an active way.

So for now, I am to stay off the prednisone, use ibuprofen as needed, and see the ART guy.

We'll see.

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All sounds good. I'm curious to know what the inflammatory markers that were elevated were, and how high

Hi Trent,

Sorry, I didn't get the exact information.  He basically said that they were "in line" with what you would expect if someone had done some reasonably tough workouts recently.  Nothing alarmingly high I guess?

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Ok.  Another update....

I have been to a local Chiro who specializes in ART a couple of times this week.  First of all, he couldn't believe how tight I was through the entire posterior chain.  Said he's never seen anything like that.  Lucky me.

Either way, he worked me over pretty hard both times and have seen quite a bit of improvement in my flexibility and the amount of tightness I have been feeling, particularly in my ankles, calves, and hips.

Again, he is puzzled how it got so bad in the first place, but....

That ART is rough!!  It's like someone drives a screwdriver into your calf muscle or hip flexor and then asks you to fully engage the muscle.  I was sweating in about 15 seconds!

Will keep you posted.

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

Here is another update.  I continue to go to the Chiro that does the Active Release and it is helping immensely.  Calf muscles are WAY looser as are the hips and IT bands.

Still need to work on the hamstrings and the plantar fascias.

The last time I went, he also did some Graston work on the calf muscles, achillies, and plantar fascia.  It was KILLER painful, but felt much better immediately after.  Probably need a few more of those and not looking forward to it.

Definitely seem to be on the right path.  Still seems like a very weird thing to have had and still not sure what caused it, but....

2018 Goals

No racing goals