Heres the fat guys progress !!! (Read 5678 times)

Shane40

Ok guys, thanks to all of your suggestions, advice and of course my positive attitude, here is what im looking at right now. I have a law enforcement accademy test I need to pass on March 19th which is a little under two months to go. Ive been training for about 4 months which has gone by pretty fast Here is where Im at now. My first day getting my fat ass on the track I did a 1.5 mile in 28 minutes. Probably could have driven there faster. Anyway I just got done running and wanted to tell the world that Im down to 19.07 . Ok yes i was excited but still need to get at least a 17.30 Its a scoring system based on your push ups and sit ups as well. You have to total 120 points total for all three events. So if your weak in one area you can make up the points in another area. I can get the max points allowed for push ups as I kick ass on those. The sit ups im working on but have to do at least 12 and you have to keep your hands behind your head. With sit ups i can get up about 30 times with my hands accross my chest, When i put my hand behind my head im only getting 3-5. I know my belly is the reason for my elbows not touching my knees, so I thought shrink my fricken belly, which I have in only a week from hard core dieting (eating the right way) and running becasue i have to improve my time. I know I can do this as I used to play college football so i have the heart and dicipline. What i need from you guys is any more suggestions or little advice to not only get me to my time but also the sit up factor. I feel good on the runs and have noticed the hard work paying off. I have seven weeks and Im determined as Im already employed as a deputy and this is the only thing standing in my way. Thanks for all the help guys and heres what Ive been doing so far Day one = Circut Training at work (graveyard shift) Run 1.5 mile (when i wake up) Day Two = HIIT Running. Basicly, Jog 2 min, Sprint 1 min, Walk 3 min, Jog 1 min, Sprint 1 min, Walk 3 min, jog 2 min, walk 2 min and continue 2 min, walk 2 min for 20 minute total Day Three = no running. Circut training at work Fourth day = Repeat day one Fifth Day = Repeat day two Sixth Day = Repeat day three Seventh Day = REST Im doing the 1.5 mile jog to improve my training im doing the HIIT running style to burn fat to shrink my belly for sit ups Ive maxed on the push ups so no worries there Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Im also eating well I think. I dont want alot of carbs but know i need them for energy Wheres the balance at ? Thanks guys Sorry for the long post, One last note, ive got shitty shoes and im wondering if shoes can make a difference in my running Thanks all
      I would say the simplest/safest way for you to burn more calories and get faster is to ditch the intervals twice a week and just run more. You're doing great - but just running more miles will help you more than the intervals.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Beatin' on the Rock

One last note, ive got shitty shoes and im wondering if shoes can make a difference in my running Thanks all
        Short answer: hellyes. Long answer: My HM is about 4 weeks away, so I went to the new running store in town to get my gait analyzed and buy me some REAL running shoes. They said I'm a moderate pronater, which surprised me since I have fairly high arches. I paid a week's wages for some Asics 3000's. Went for a run... if you can call it that. Half mile in I'm in pain everywhere. I can't take more than a mini-step. I felt like I had bricks strapped to my feet. Went back to running store. Told them I want pillows instead of bricks. Paid even MORE $ for Asics Kinsei 2's. Yes The awful thing is I have lingering knee pain from my brick-shoe run. Sad
        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.

Big Chicken!

As for losing weight, try counting your calories. I mean, really looking at oyur portion size (serving), getting the nutritional info and adding up the calories you are eating in a day. You will be surprised!! Your version of a serving and an actual serving size are incredibly different. Try Sparkpeople.com to get nutrition info and to count calories. There's other info online as well. How to cut back Get smaller plates and bowls. No joke! Once I began eating my meals on my kids' dinnerware I began immediately losing lbs. My eyes saw full plate so my brain thought full plate so my belly said FULL! I've lost about 25 lbs so far and am on my way to 40 more. Now I can run faster (I am still slow, don't get me wrong) and am much fitter because of it. Takle everyone else's advice on the fitness. I can't help you there. Good luck!
          Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
            For sit-ups, add some squats to your work out regimen. In addition to stressing the abs, sit-ups also work the quadriceps and hip flexor muscles. With sit-ups (and push-ups, too) a lot of it has to do with technique. When performing a rep, you lift your torso to the vertical position then return to the down position. When returning to the down position, use as little muscle as possible - simply relax your abs and drop back down. Also look at the positioning of your feet. Do you keep them together or slightly apart? This affects how widely you can open your knees, which affects how easily you can come up. Experiment with your foot positioning and find out what's comfortable for you, as long as it's within the published standard of the PT test.
              Great job so far! The quickest way to burn fat is not running, it's weight training. You'll not only burn more calories lifting, you'll burn them maintaining the muscle as well. Running, especially at the limited mileage of a beginner won't contribute much to weight loss. It may even make it more difficult by stimulating your appetite. I would also suggest not sprinting when you run. You don't have an adequate base for speed work and should be concentrating on distance to build your endurance, not speed. All the speed in the world won't help if you break something in training and can't do your test. Tom
              UpNorth

I would say the simplest/safest way for you to burn more calories and get faster is to ditch the intervals twice a week and just run more. You're doing great - but just running more miles will help you more than the intervals.
                Surely you must be joking... I'm not joking and stop calling me Shirley. OK, I couldn't resist that one, but the advice above is just plain bad. Here is a pretty good primer on fat loss techniques. http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/hierarchy-of-fat-loss.html If you don't believe the article, then I'd suggest a search on PubMed. There is a TON of research to support intervals vs. long slow distance for fat loss.
                  Surely you must be joking... I'm not joking and stop calling me Shirley. OK, I couldn't resist that one, but the advice above is just plain bad. Here is a pretty good primer on fat loss techniques. http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/hierarchy-of-fat-loss.html If you don't believe the article, then I'd suggest a search on PubMed. There is a TON of research to support intervals vs. long slow distance for fat loss.
                  Nice job on the reading comprehension. Apparently you missed the part about safer and the part about burning calories AND getting faster. Many people around here (self included) have found that simply adding miles is the most effective way for newer runners to build endurance and speed. I don't have a problem with HIIT or variants - but I don't think intervals for 50% of your volume is smart for anyone whose focus is running - and I don't think intervals belong in anybody's program whose peak weekly milage is 5 miles.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

SMART Approach

Ditch at least one of interval days (I prefer you ditch both). At least one of the days, slowly increase your run distance from 2 up to 5-6 in next several weeks. This will help you hold a faster pace in your 1.5 mile goal. Go at comfortable/slower pace. The other day, do 2 working up to 3-4 miles w/ last 1/2 mile finishing strong but not sprinting. Sprints won't do much good for a primarily aerobic event (1.5 mile run) without a strong aerobic base.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JakeKnight

Uh, surely you must be joking. Shirley. Bonkin is entirely right. There's plenty of room for differing opinions in running, but on this one there's no doubt at all: a runner who's trying to lose significant weight and who's averaging less than five miles a week has absolutely no reason to be running intervals. Check the research on that. You'll find that he's just about guaranteed to injure himself. Not to mention he won't get faster or fitter anytime soon doing it. Shane ... build your mileage. Slowly. Run consistently. No intervals. Zero. The weight will come off if you run consistent (and more) mileage and watch your weight. Get up to 15-20 miles a week, all of it easy. Make running fun. The weight - and your times - will drop fast. And if you just have to do intervals, be careful. Try once a week. Lots of warming up and cooling down, too.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

UpNorth

Nice job on the reading comprehension. Apparently you missed the part about safer and the part about burning calories AND getting faster. Many people around here (self included) have found that simply adding miles is the most effective way for newer runners to build endurance and speed. I don't have a problem with HIIT or variants - but I don't think intervals for 50% of your volume is smart for anyone whose focus is running - and I don't think intervals belong in anybody's program whose peak weekly milage is 5 miles.
                        You're right and gave good advice. I should have done a better job reading the original post. I was an ass so please accept my humble apology. Its just that I get frustrated when people propagate the myth that the best way to lose weight is to run more and this time I let it get the better of me.
                          I don't have a lot of history or necessarily knowledge, but I think I am a good example for what is being talked about. I tried everything, and got hurt when I tried to go too fast too soon. I then, once I healed just ran slow and steady and added mileage along the way. Just by adding the mileage I sped up..... and I have lost 80 lbs in the past year - just doing the easy running, weight training, and watching what I eat. I started with a 36:00 5k in May, and just a few weeks ago ran a 24:26 5k. I know I am not really fast, but I am actually more interested in the distances than the speed.
                          "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                          My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com

Another Passion

My story is similar to Tim's in that I started running in earnest, after having dabbled in it inconsistently for the two years prior, in January of 2006 at which time I weighed 202. I gradually increased my runs weekly and lost 22 pounds by April of '06. I was also watching my food intake, both quality and quantity, but not starving myself, during that period as well. For example, instead of having two helpings at dinner time, I only had one, and a reasonable one, not the "Hungry Man"-portioned size. Good luck to you in your efforts! Wink

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com