Racing During Marathon Training. Don't Know What To Do. (Read 360 times)

I'm training for my first marathon in Jan. I'm on week 5 of 18 and have a 10 mile race Sunday. My first big volume week is next week after the race and will total 50 miles with my first long run (18 miler). I'm not sure how to approach this week. I want to race hard but, I don't want to be too fatigue for next week. This week's schedule was suppose to look like this: 10, 5, 9, 5 and 16. But I modified it to: 10, 9, 5, 5, rest and race (3 mile warmup; 10 race; 3 mile cool down). I stacked the longer runs at the beginning of the week to give my body some rest before my race. I was thinking about skipping the second 5 miler and have 2 rest days before the race. I don't know if I need to do 16 miles on race day since I'm racing. I feel like I'm forcing the longer warmup and cool down just to get the scheduled volume in. If I get a total of 14 miles on race day, I wonder if I'll be ready for my first 18 miler next week. I'm worried that I'll be hurting next week after the race. Maybe it's no big deal and running fatigue maybe help me mentally and physically. What do you think and what would you do? 

Feeling the growl again

Run the miles.  Just slow them down.  I ran 115 miles the week after my HM PR.  The first couple days of the week was simply slower than normal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

The 10 mile race is not your goal race. It's just a step along the way. Like Spaniel said, run the miles, but keep them easy. Race the race. Accept that you'll likely need a few recovery days following the race, run them easy  (and easy means easy) and get your miles. You might well be hurting after the race. In fact, if you truly race it, it's almost a given. Run easy for a few days after, but run. You'll be fine.

I literally don't care that I use the word literally incorrectly.