JEFF GALLOWAY (Read 975 times)

I have the opportunity to join a small group of runners that will be training for a marathon in December. Later in June they are going to begin a 6 month program following Jeff Galloway's training method. My purposes for running are two fold: to lose weight and eventually finish a marathon. The thing that I liked about the program was that there was a weekly group run (long runs i am guessing). The thing I didn't like was it only had three runs a week...I need to run at least 4 or 5 times a week to lose the weight I want to lose. Is it a good program? Adaptable to me maybe putting a one or two easy short runs on top of the 3 weekly ones?
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

A Saucy Wench

Not too familiar with the program, but any program is a guideline. Look at where you are and what you need and adapt the program to fit. I jiggle my program around a lot to make my group run because that part is worth it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

C-R

Ben, Looking at your log (and assuming it is your first marathon), the run-walk method should be a good place to start to get you to the finish line. Lots of people on this forum have used this method in some form or another (based on past postings) with success as have I. Personally, some of the marketing hype is too much and sometimes there is a heated debate about the program for faster running, but for finishing in a reasonable time and getting there healthy, it is a solid program. Also, its good to run with a group as it will keep you going out to run even on those days where you might waver. Best of luck on your marathon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I think the Jeff Galloway program is ideal for meeting your goals.
          "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
          JakeKnight

The short answer: yes. But don't be afraid to add runs; training schedules are not written in stone. Don't be afraid to skip some of those walk breaks, either; the water stations are usually plenty for walking. And be ready to branch out to other ideas when you get done with Galloway. Bottom line is that he's fine for a beginner. But so are the other major writers. The long answer: see Google. Galloway has many fanatical fans and many zealous critics. Few are in between. The search function here will get you started. There are countless enormous discussions debating Galloway. The truth on Galloway is between the two absolutes, of course. See Jim2's page for an interesting analysis - and other stuff you'll find useful. The Galloway stuff is in the upper right corner of the page: http://www.jim2.net/ For what its worth, Galloway got me started just fine. And I'm glad. And also glad to have moved on.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

The guy that will be in charge of our group mentioned that I was a good candidate for the program...(being I am not totally out of shape but in no way could come close to completing one today). I told him I was losing weight and while I was doing it I was Base Building...and I would continue on my shedule until the first meeting. I have never run with groups...always by myself (which I love), but I think it would worth the money just to have a group to run with it to change the routine a little. $100 gets me the weekly group run, a book, a log (which I might not use considering I am a spreadsheet junkie and have already made my own), a wicking singlet (I have no idea what that is - anyone know?), training schedule (once again spreadsheet junkie), and weekly access to a guy that is pretty respected in the community when it comes to fitness/nutrition.
              2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)
              Scout7

You can probably join a running club for less than $100. With that, you'll get group runs, support at races, discounts, etc. etc. You are paying for a coaching service, really, with some other benefits. Considering you have a pretty good log right here, you can find Galloway's plans online for free, I personally wouldn't do it, but then, I dislike people.
                C-R

.... I personally wouldn't do it, but then, I dislike people.
                  Aptly stated from our dour crumudgeon at large. But we know better.... it's all a facade BTW - what he said on the local runner's club. My cost is $25 a year for Indy and I get group runs for various fitness levels three times a week with some very serious coach types tha are always there and are happy to share if you ask nicely. That leaves out Scout of course... Wink

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

The guy that will be in charge of our group mentioned that I was a good candidate for the program...(being I am not totally out of shape but in no way could come close to completing one today). I told him I was losing weight and while I was doing it I was Base Building...and I would continue on my shedule until the first meeting. I have never run with groups...always by myself (which I love), but I think it would worth the money just to have a group to run with it to change the routine a little. $100 gets me the weekly group run, a book, a log (which I might not use considering I am a spreadsheet junkie and have already made my own), a wicking singlet (I have no idea what that is - anyone know?), training schedule (once again spreadsheet junkie), and weekly access to a guy that is pretty respected in the community when it comes to fitness/nutrition.
                    $100 sounds pretty steep unless it's including race registration, IMHO. You'll have no problem getting coaching, almost any runner will talk your ear off about training theory, and probably 1 in 4 will write you a training plan just for the fun of it. (Myself included.)
                    JakeKnight

Ah, he gets coaching. Theoretically real coaching from somebody contractually required to answer his questions. And that singlet. Which, by the way Ben, just means a high-quality tank top made of tech material. Wicking = supposed to keep the sweat from your body or something. If its decent it'd probably cost you $40 in a running store anyway. Ignore these curmudgeons.

C-R

Ignore these curmudgeons.
                        Have I just been elevated to crumudgeon status? Neat. BTW - singlets are over reated for me just based on the way I look in them. Where is my Kramer's manziere when I need it. I leave those to the real runners. Also, just how much wicking can you get with one of those skimpy things anyway. Kind of like saying a thong made from tech material also has wicking capabilities. Ben - IMO the program is a good way to start until you feel comfortable in your running. As for runners talking your ear off - its true but sometimes you have to be careful about the advice. Just last month JK was advocating garlic and some differential equation analysis for cadence to improve running on his signature line. Clowning around

The Greatest of All Time

For what its worth, Galloway got me started just fine. And I'm glad. And also glad to have moved on.
                          Same here. His book was the first running book I bought.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Just to jump in, I'll try not to be too curmudgeonly but I got involved with a similar group when I was preparing for my first marathon, except it was $30/month instead of a flat fee. I ended up going to 2 workouts and then never going again, simply because I enjoy the solace of running alone, and I wanted more performance than the Galloway program would allow (for the record, I ended up getting injured and reverting to the Galloway program though). You're definitely getting a good deal but running with a group isn't for everyone. I just hated it. An alternative also would be something like Team In Training. Then you get to raise money for charity as well.
                            JakeKnight

An alternative also would be something like Team In Training. Then you get to raise money for charity as well.
                              The only thing that gets bashed as much as Galloway is Team-in-Training. If this place wasn't so full of sweetness and light, this would quickly become an amusing thread. Over at LetsRun, the sharks would already have pounced. Which is just silly, because sharks swim. So how could they pounce? All its lacking now is a Dean Karnazes reference and some good suggestions on proper iPod wearing.

Dean Karnazes with an iPod in his fanny pack gallo-racewalking in a 5k triathlon while wearing orthotics and basketball shorts.