Running Ahead Site Locking Up (Read 912 times)

I don’t know if anyone else has this problem, but I’m having a terrible time with the site locking up when I’m on the Internet. It started to happen a few months ago and I can figure out why. When I use my home computer, I am able to go to the site and log in, but as soon as I try to do a run entry, or even go to the community message board, everything locks up. It doesn’t happen with any other website and Running Ahead locks up every time without exception. I have a high-speed cable driven connection with Time-Warner, so that shouldn’t be an issue. I would think that this may simply be a problem with my home computer, but exactly the same thing happens when I log on at work. I usually can get a bit farther at work, but inevitably I lock up after a few minutes. Also, I’ve logged onto the Runners World running log without any issues. Any suggestions?
    Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
      I have the same problem but it happens to me at work. At home, it's fine. If I wait, or repeatedly click on the page, it will eventually come up. I'm using IE v6. Could be a corporate firewall problem but I don't have the issue with other sites.
      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
      eric :)

Hi guys, In order to figure out what's going on, I will need to know your browser, operating system, and their versions. It would also help if you provide any other relevant information such as when the problem started happening for you. eric Smile
        derek

When I use my home computer, I am able to go to the site and log in, but as soon as I try to do a run entry, or even go to the community message board, everything locks up.
          Could you clarify what you mean by "everything locks up"? - Does the browser hang and then you have to kill it from the Task Manager - Does the page just not load? - Does it load partially and then stop? - Does it cause your computer to hang?

Derek

Browser: IE v6 Operating System: Windows XP Professional My problem: the page does not load (log and forums) immediately. The window is blue (the RA background blue) If I right click on the window several times, it will then load. It's happened to me since I started using the site. But I like RA so much, I just deal with it. It does not cause the computer to hang. Sometimes the window will partially load and then hang momentarily.

Ok, since I got your attention, could you tell me the EXACT version of IE6? Go to Help -> About Internet Explorer Mine is: Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254
                Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

Well, that wasn't what I was expecting. I suspect that this is a problem with IE6 and gzip compression, which MS claimed to have fixed (Q312496, Q313712, Q837251). Here's a little background. A couple of months ago, I enabled compression on the site. Everything that the server sends over to your browser is compressed. The site receives so much traffic that it's nearing my bandwidth limit. If it goes over, I would have to pay a lot more per month to host it. To deduce costs and to delay paying more, I enabled compression on the web server. The net result is that the pages are served up a little faster because fewer bits are sent over the wire. When your web browser receives the data, it decompresses it and display it without you ever noticing anything, except if you're using IE6. I've seen this problem on myself, although it stopped happening for the last month or so. I don't know what the fix was, since MS rolls out updates every so often and changed something such that the problem no longer exists for me. I can disable compression on the web server, but that will definitely go over my bandwidth limit. How computer savvy are you? Are you willing to experiment a little with your computer? eric Smile
                    I can disable compression on the web server, but that will definitely go over my bandwidth limit. How computer savvy are you? Are you willing to experiment a little with your computer? eric Smile
                    No need to disable the compression for me. I can live with it. Wouldn't want to blow out your bandwidth and have to pay a lot more. In terms of the computer, somewhat savvy but they restrict a lot of my ability to mess with the work computer. What does it entail?

No need to disable the compression for me. I can live with it. Wouldn't want to blow out your bandwidth and have to pay a lot more. In terms of the computer, somewhat savvy but they restrict a lot of my ability to mess with the work computer. What does it entail?
                      In one of the technical bulletins I cited, it said: The behavior is caused by a problem in Urlmon.dll. The problem occurs when Urlmon.dll binds specifically to notify programs that have registered namespace handlers. The problem occurs if any of the following registry keys is present: • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\http • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\ftp • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\gopher • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\https • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\file Can you check if any of these keys exist in your registry? It would be interesting to see if the problem goes away if you remove them. The alternative would be to upgrade to IE7 or use FireFox.