5k (Read 1437 times)

Nate Grant

I just ran my first 5k in 17:32. Is that good?
    obsessor

If you wanted to run a 16:30, it sucks. If you wanted to run 18, I guess it's ok. I don't understand the question. Tell me more.
      Nate Grant

i didnt want to do anything i just ran it because my mom said to do it for her company outing.
        obsessor

i didnt want to do anything i just ran it because my mom said to do it for her company outing.
          Well, did you win or what? How many people?
            I just ran my first 5k in 17:32. Is that good?
            Good job. Are you going to try a 10k next?
              You can't stop now your mom may get fired. That is a pretty good time for your first race. Her boss may think that he/she discovered you.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You should open up your log so we can see your training. That will help us answer questions.
                Nate Grant

i dont know how to do that
                  obsessor

You know whether 17:30 or whatever is "good," maybe. If you want a yardstick, here you go: It won't do much at the Nike company picnic, (I mean, like, you might be able to beat all the 50+ yr old women, but that would be the only $1 bet I would place on you.) Look at it this way, it will kick cans at the Pump 'n' Munch get-together; you'll probably win by 3 minutes. Now, if you are a young man, 15 to 18, and this is your first 5k, with no training, and little athletic background, then there is a slim possibility that if you train very hard for the next ten years, to the exclusion of all else that is of any real importance in life, you may be able to run into the 13's or better for a 5000m race on the track. That would be sharp, real sharp. I will advise you to work on your 400 and 800m speed at this time, with a proper training program.

The Greatest of All Time

I think it's pretty damn good. Well done!
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Think Whirled Peas

It wasn't at the "Michael Scott’s Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure" was it?!?!?!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

#artbydmcbride

It wasn't at the "Michael Scott’s Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure" was it?!?!?!
                          I love that race!! Big grin and what's wrong with beating 50 year old women, obsessor?? Angry

Runners run

obsessor

I love that race!! Big grin and what's wrong with beating 50 year old women, obsessor?? Angry
                            Huh? Nothing. If you are over fifty and faster than 17:32 /5k, I totally take that back. I KNOW there are women in their 40's who run that fast, and faster. I'm saying, in a hypothetical Nike company picnic, he would be lucky to place in the top 100, and would not place in his age, in his gender, or among women twice his age. So, for example, if you were 42 (I have no clue how old you are), and a woman, all you could say was, "I ran a 17:32." Because there are a few half-dozen masters women who can run faster than that, who are associated with Nike, I think. Personally, if I am 50 and running 17:32's, I'd be ecstatic, even though in the grand scheme of things, it's not that competitive. For an average C.C. meet in H.S., it would be fairly competitive.

#artbydmcbride

Smile Ah, thanks for the elucidation.

Runners run

Nate, That's a very nice time for a first race. Although it's impossible to tell where this could all lead, it is definitely something to be encouraged about. While it might not be earth shaking, it's a lot closer to being exceptional than it is to being mediocre. If it turns out that you enjoy running enough to put a fair amount of energy into it, I am sure you will do very well. Best of luck to you
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33