Alberto Salazar Magazine article (Read 708 times)

Timbodeener

The latest issue of Outside Magazine contains a short article by Alberto Salazar called "10 Golden Rules of Running". In the article he says to stay off pavement which damages tendons, ligaments and muscles. He goes on to say that his athletes that he coaches run 90% of their training on soft surfaces. Common sense would lead you to believe this is true but I am surprised at the 90% comment....that seems like a ton of training on grass, trails, dirt roads etc. Wouldn't that tend to hurt his athletes ability to handle paved roads during races? I have alway run mostly on pavement but do try to run on the "soft shoulder" if one is available but with all the road widening happening around here those shoulders are disappearing fast. Curious as to how many of you guys here at RA try to find soft surfaces for training and how far out of your way do you go to avoid pavement? Tim
      I would do almost anything to stay on trails. Sadly, most metro areas are paving their trails so they are accessible to everyone (which is a good thing), but I'd much rather run on chipped stone or something than pavement. During college we'd do all of our speed work on the grass somewhere and we ran a lot of shoulders. I don't know enough about the body to say for sure, but running mostly on trails and converting to roads is a lot better than running on a treadmill than switching to roads. Some of the trails I run are pretty hard packed - still softer than roads - but not super soft either. Trails are the place to be!
      Team Cross Runs more than just a running blog!
      Mr R

Well, Alberto's athletes are all track stars, so they don't need to be able to handle long distances on the roads. They also have access to great trails, and plenty of time to spend driving to places to run (full time pros). It'll be interesting to see if Kara has to add a lot more road work when she decides to take a crack at the marathon.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Timbodeener

Well, Alberto's athletes are all track stars, so they don't need to be able to handle long distances on the roads.
          oh yeah I guess I didn't really think about that...I know Kara Goucher ran that half marathon last fall (beating Radcliff) but I was thinking some of his other runners were road racers... Good point!
            Interestingly, however, his runners seem to get injured just as much, if not more. Goucher just had a minor surgery. I personally believe it's important to run over uneven terrain because it strengthen your legs/feet. The unevenness would twist your feet around and knock them around...not too much but enough to strengthen small muscles. But that could lead to some injuries as well. 90% seems quite high; I think you need some good mixture. Injuries depend on a lot of factors; shoes, form, size of the athlete, type of training they do... To say running over the road will lead you more injuries simplifies things way too much.
              Testimonial for running on soft surfaces: A little more than 3 years ago I started training again just before turning 59. This followed more than 7 years of jogging only a few miles a week and almost never racing. During the first year back I had several minor injuries and one that started to border on being major before I solved it. Out of desperation I started combing the area for a grassy place that I could stand to run on. I'd tried a few times in the past but never cared for it. The areas were always too small or the grass had too many ruts and bumps underneath. Finally I settled on a large park that is often used for soccer. I learned to love the little 1.4 loop with it's thick, but well-manacured carpet of soft grass and the way it felt under my feet. In the past 2 years I've done 70% or more of my miles there and have not been injured since. As far as being able to handle racing on pavement after doing such a high percentage of training on grass, I have found that the roads feel so much faster after all the miles on the grass. I have actually raced better there than when I was doing all my training on pavement. I will add, however, that I did the majority of my long runs on a rolling, asphalt trail. Also, I did 3 or 4 workouts a month on the track. The grass loop has been used primarily for maintenance and recovery runs, which makes up the bulk of mileage as it does for most runners. My best 2 races of the year were a half marathon and 30k that were both run asphalt...legs felt good the whole way. They didn't respond so well in a marathon that followed, but I believe it was more because I ran it so soon after the hard 30k than because of not enough training on the roads. I'm a big believer in the soft surfaces theory. It gave me a new lease on my running life.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                After running mostly on concrete for the last couple of months, I feel like my legs are a little worn down and I need a softer surface. Lately I've been doing most of my running on a 1.25 mile gravel and dirt track in the park. It's a slightly uneven surface in many spots and is hillier than almost everything else around here. So far it's helped.
                Timbodeener

After running mostly on concrete for the last couple of months, I feel like my legs are a little worn down and I need a softer surface.
                  Ouch! Why do you run on concrete? That's even harder than pavement....
                    Well, Alberto's athletes are all track stars, so they don't need to be able to handle long distances on the roads. They also have access to great trails, and plenty of time to spend driving to places to run (full time pros). It'll be interesting to see if Kara has to add a lot more road work when she decides to take a crack at the marathon.
                    According to lets run Kara is looking at the New York Marathon next November after the Olympics. Rupp will be running the Marathon eventually but not for at least a few years, probably more.
                    Mr R

Kara's been waiting to make her marathon debut for a while. She's a long way from committing to a fall race. Wait till after Beijing. If she can stay healthy, she's a world-beater. Her performance in Osaka was the inevitable result of uninterrupted training. Hopefully this knee surgery won't set her back much, because I think that she should retire with every American record over 10k (unless Shalane moves up in distance). Rupp obviously has the potential as well. 27:33 as a 21 year old is pretty awesome, by American standards. Unfortunately, I think he'll have to move up to the marathon if he's going to compete on the world stage. The 10k is an event that the Africans just own. At every other distance, the best Americans can at least be in the mix. Our 10k record is not even close to being competitive. (Ironically, it's held by an African-born runner).

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Staying healthy is definitely the key for Kara. She has so much talent, if she can stay healthy the next few years I think she can be the best in the world. Here's something from her interview at Millrose. "I want to run the New York City Marathon, it's a goal of mine now to come and win in New York, but it will have to be when the time is right." (Alberto Salazar was in the audience with the press and while Kara was on stage was asked when he hoped Kara's marathon debut was going to be. He said, " I hope it's this year.") So she hasn't committed yet but if she can stay healthy from now till then I think she probably will regardless of what happens in Beijing. I agree with you about Rupp completely. He doesn't stand a chance in the 10k. Salazar said that he isn't going to have him move up the marathon till his late 20's though because he doesn't want what happened to him to happen to Rupp. But I guess it really depends on how he does the next couple years in the 10k.
                        Timbodeener

Kara is a real "cutie" too which makes it even more fun to keep an eye on her career Wink