starting doubles (Read 1513 times)

I'm thinking about incorporating doubles (running twice in one day) into my training. I've been running between 25 and 30 miles a week for about 5 years. Over that time, my weekly mileage has increased at times when I was training for a half marathon or marathon, and has decreased to about 20 miles/week when I play hockey in the winter. I run 5 days a week. I've been pondering adding a sixth day, but I thought I would try doubles first. I would like to add the doubles to help me in my goal of decreasing my 5k (21:59) and 10k (47:29) PRs, which were both set in 2004 during half marathon training. Last summer, I ran mostly 5ks, and most of my times were around 22:45, with one 22:26. In the last few months, I've been pretty consistently running 5 miles 3-4 times a week at lunch, and then getting in one more run on the weekend. I'm thinking about taking one or two days a week and dropping the lunch mileage down to 3 miles and adding another run after work. Does anyone have any advice on adding doubles? Does my plan seem reasonable, or do you think I'd be better off with a different approach? I've got about a month before my summer track workouts start, and I'd like to figure out a plan for the summer by then.
      You didn't say what you do over the weekend but you should incorporate at least one, preferably twice a week, long run during the week. If you're just running 5 miles every time you go out; you should try somewhere around 8~10 on weekend and 7ish during the week. Doubles are great and I would recommend it if you can handle it; but if you don't do a longer continuous run, the problem is; it usually takes 1~2 miles to warm up. So, let's say if you do 3 miles in the morning and it takes you 1.5 miles to really get going; then you'd be spending 3 miles out of your 5 miles for a "real" running. Last weekend, I was on treadmill, trying to get to an hour (a painful hour...!). I was struggling for the first half an hour. I finally started to feel better after about 40 minutes and I was flying in the final 15 miniutes or so. I wouldn't gotten that far if I only run 5 miles. Having said that, on the other hand, I always look at morning run as an exercise. If I jog nice and easily in the morning, I feel much better and sometimes I can go striaght into some sort of quality work (if you could call that "quality" at all! ;o)). This young lady I'm advising via e-mail; she started doing doubles twice a week this winter. Both of those days were easy days. Basically, I had her do a couple of point workouts and, on the recovery days, she did double of 40 minutes or so. Now we got into more exacting workouts and now she's doing hill training twice a week plus long rep on Saturday. She told me last week, she ended up doing 4 double days! She said she noticed she could do those quality days much better if she jogs nice and easily in the morning. I told her to be careful about NOT getting sick of running. Psychological factors DO matter; but if you can handle it; I'd say the more the merrier.
        You didn't say what you do over the weekend but you should incorporate at least one, preferably twice a week, long run during the week. If you're just running 5 miles every time you go out; you should try somewhere around 8~10 on weekend and 7ish during the week. Doubles are great and I would recommend it if you can handle it; but if you don't do a longer continuous run, the problem is; it usually takes 1~2 miles to warm up. So, let's say if you do 3 miles in the morning and it takes you 1.5 miles to really get going; then you'd be spending 3 miles out of your 5 miles for a "real" running.
        Yeah, forgot to mention the long run. I skip the long run during hockey season, so I haven't been doing it for a few months, but during the rest of the year, I'll do one on the weekend usually between 9 and 12 miles.

SMART Approach

Agree with Nobby. Also, I think you need to be up over 45-50 miles per week to do doubles consistently. My goal for people doing doubles is to get in more miles once you have exhausted once a day runs. One other benefit is if you do a faster workout in afternoon, an easy run in morning seems to make the quality work out more effective probably from more blood volume. You need to focus on running every day before doing doubles any day. Also, as Nobby says, you need a long run and a semi long run. These two runs (and in time, mix a little quality in these runs) and building miles will do a lot to build your endurance and drop your times in all events. Now, if you can only run 5 days per week, you can consider an extra run on a day but this will not be as beneficial as building a long run and a semi long run each week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'll go on the assumption that you don't want to add another day of running, since you basically said that, despite it being a good idea. I also do the 5+ miles at lunch time, and right now I have been doubling pretty consistently a few times per week. I usually do my 5 miler at lunch time, and 5-10 miles in the morning or evening. The reason that I do the doubles is because I don't have 2 or 3 hour blocks of time outside of the weekend where I can run the extra miles during the week. I'm currently training at about 60 miles per week (this week might get up to 70 or so depending upon weather.) The biggest thing to remember for any workout and especially on days that you double is that you need to be properly fueled. Try to eat something as soon as you finish your workouts so that you can recover a little between workouts and not start your second workout exhausted. I also recommend a light snack an hour or so before your second workout if your stomach can handle it. When I do my speedwork on the indoor track, I generally go home and eat a normal dinner and then head over to the track. Dinner is usually at 6:00 or 6:30 on those days, and I try to get onto the track at 7:00 or 7:15 or so. I recognize that most people probably can't work out with a full meal with only half an hour between the two, hence suggesting a snack. Most of my days where I just add mileage I run right after work and then make dinner afterwards just from the convenience stand point.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I don't have 2 or 3 hour blocks of time outside of the weekend where I can run the extra miles during the week.
              Pardon me for saying this...; but from your poster name, I thought you were a hard core kinda guy... When our daughter was born, and because my wife wanted to run too, we traded the time and the only time I had to run was first thing in the morning. I used to go for a run at 4:00AM in the middle of Minnesota winter. That was the only way I could get my 2-hour run in. I don't do it any more though. But I'd do it if I have to. Once a week, I get together with the girl I'm coaching. We get together at 5:00AM for an hour's run before work. I drive up a half an hour to get up to her place (or near-by firness club). We get together to do this to make it a committement to ourselves. She comes to my place twice a week to train with me so, as a trade-off, I go there for this morning run. I usually get up at 4:00, or 4:15 at latest, to get ready. It was a bit testing this past winter when the temperature hit somethnig like -10F a couple of times. One time, it was so damn windy that we ended up running around near-by shopping mall's parking lot to avoid direct wind. It must have been -30F with windchill easily. We did what we had to do to get our run in. I believe long runs are very important. If you can do 10-miler in the morning, it's not that difficult to get up an hour ealier to make it an 18-miler once a week if you think it's important.

Pardon me for saying this...; but from your poster name, I thought you were a hard core kinda guy... [...] I believe long runs are very important. If you can do 10-miler in the morning, it's not that difficult to get up an hour ealier to make it an 18-miler once a week if you think it's important.
                Wow, first time I've been called soft on here. First, I have no need to run 18 milers during the week. I do that on the weekend. Second, my wife gets pissed at me when I get up earlier than her because no matter how careful I am she wakes up. Third, I live in Maine, which also gets cold and a lot of snow. If it tends to be warmer at lunch time and in the evening, (or at least after the sun came up before daylight savings kicked in) then why not run then? Fourth, I don't have any kids yet, so being absent for an hour in the evening while my wife is studying and would be ignoring me anyway isn't a hardship. Fifth, and the main reason that I double, is that the 30 or 40 minutes I run at lunch time comes at no cost to time with my wife. I don't have time at lunch to run longer than my 5+ mile loop, and in fact my lunch breaks are already 10 to 20 minutes longer than they technically are supposed to be. So I get another 5 to 10 miler in for the afternoon to make up the mileage that I want. Sixth, there's benefits to running doubles that you can't get from running 18 miles. Unlike my friends that I train with, I'm not racing in any 50- or 100-mile races in the near future, I'm sticking to marathons. Getting an easy run in and a tempo run in at separate times in the day is a lot different than getting in a single 15 miler. I coach myself, and all of my workouts have goals. Never fear that if I need a long run in the middle of the week, I'll either take time off from work or get up early for it. Although I don't like messing with my sleep schedule, I like getting up at the same time every day (around 5:00-5:15) If you think I'm soft because of the way I train myself, familiarize yourself with my log. If you still have that opinion, give me the opportunity to ridicule your training by making your log public. I don't know what kind of runner you are, perhaps you could at least share your goals for this year. Mine are a mid-2:30 marathon and a sub-16:00 5k, staying injury free, and building my base to the point where I can run an Olympic Trials "A" standard marathon in late 2009 or early 2010. That being said, I agree that longer runs mid-week can be good for you. In fact, I mentioned that in my earlier post. However, it seemed silly to expand on it since you and TChuck had already covered it and it wasn't what dnstapes was asking for.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Relax. You don't need to feel threatened by me. I don't train nearly as hard as you do now; I'm just an old fart. However, I worked directly with a guy by the name of Arthur Lydiard (I hope you recognize this name) and I did all his familiar schedule that calles for 15 miles on Tuesday and 18 miles on Thursday with 22 on Sunday that added up to 100 miles a week. I did doubles too and I still do. And I beleive there ARE some benefits that doubles would offer but if you think doing doubles is better than doing 18-miler or 18-mile run during the week is for ultra runners, I would beg to differ. I served as a professional corporate team coach in Japan with 8 nationally ranked female athletes ranging from 800 up to marathon and I "agented" Reiko Tosa who just officially got picked for Beijing Olympic marathon team. I'm not necessarily accused you of being soft. But for your poster name (Run to Win) and your excellent PR, or target, of 2:30 marathon, you seem to be more concerned with your wife than training; that's all. If you want to know more about me, visit www.lydiardfoundation.org. I and my partner, Lorraine Moller, who won the bronze medal in 1992 Olympic marathon, manage that site.
                  Hannibal Granite

I'm not necessarily accused you of being soft. But for your poster name (Run to Win) and your excellent PR, or target, of 2:30 marathon, you seem to be more concerned with your wife than training; that's all.
                    Nobby, You cannot possibly be implying that he should put his training ahead of his wife/family. Even for someone who is an elite runner making a living from running I would choose to put family first, but especially for someone who makes his/her living by doing something other winning races family should and must take a higher priority. Please tell me I've misread or misunderstand what you meant there because I have all the respect in the world for you and am very glad when you share your knowledge and wisdom with the masses on various running message boards, but this statement seriously clouds that 'wisdom' part.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Oh, gosh, no! Not at all! Let me tell you a story. Arthur died during the lecture tour that I organized. The last time I got together with Arthur in New York (NYC marathon), I was showing him pictures of my family. One of the last things he said to me (literally) was "Take care of your family..." He told me earlier that he wished he never started running because running destroyed his first family. He passed away in Houston on Saturday night. Naturally, it was quite chaotic. I had to call his runners and family late at night; I was up till 3AM taking care of things... Next day, my daughter had a basketball tournament. My wife told me to stay home. I was thinking about what he said and I felt I needed to go (almost had an accident a few times though!). No, I would not put running above family at all. In fact, that--at least I thought I tried to imply--was my point earlier that, when my daughter was born, we had to take care of her and my wife wanted to run as well and she wasn't a morning person. So I shifted my schedule completely and picked the morning to run. I didn't like it; but I had to. You always expect some adversity--there's ALWAYS things that come to interfer so you can NEVER do things the way you exactly want it. That's a given. You need to accept it and move and do the best you can. That's why I got up at 4AM and did those long runs; sometimes I did hill repeats in the snow and ice in the complete darkness. I didn't like it; but I had to do what I could. Now, that being said, if there's an athlete who has come to me to train and tells me, "Well, my wife doesn't want me to get up early to have my 15-miler in so I won't," then I would seriously question his committment. That is, in my dictionary, not life's adversity. I'm talking about a serious athlete, not an everyday jogger. Actually, in fact, I've seen "a just jogger" who's a lot more committed than that though. I know of a few neighbour's housewives who would get up 4:30 to get together and go for a long run so they could be home when their kids go take a bus. The girl I'm coaching has a full-time job and she has a boyfriend and she works for a non-profit organization some weekend. She takes a bus from work to the shopping mall bus stop then drive down to my place--twice a week and we do the long run on the weekend. We also do the morning run once sometimes twice during the week at 5. She sometimes goes out with her boyfriend; she goes to Chicago to see her family; or works for the NPO, etc. We always shift things around and try to squeeze point workouts. It's not even her family; yet, those things are important to her and her "life" has GOT to come before training. I always tell her that she must be a total "person" before she's an athlete. But we also know what we've got to do. We just have to accommodate around those "other activities". But, once again, I personally feel one or two long (enough) runs during the week can be very benefitial and I would not compromise them just because your "wife wants to spend extra 30 minutes with you". I'd say, fiine, spend 30 minutes extra with your wife; make her happy; then get out and run 30 minutes longer! Yes, I've done that before! ;o) In fact, I hope he was saying what he said just to "be cute". Also a side note, this might be a Japanese thing, I don't know, but being with your wife all the time does not necessarily mean you love your wife more.
                        Nobby - I can't imagine what Blaine might have said to offend you, but attacking a person on a message board because you think you're more hardcore than them is pretty sad. Blaine - I'm from Maine too. Maybe I'll see you at a race sometime.

The Greatest of All Time

I do doubles typically M-Th. Friday off, Sat long run, Sun recovery run. Look at my log. My first run is at 5:30 am for an hour, and then I run for another 30 minutes in the evening after work. I usually don't plan workouts in advance other than long runs. I run as fast as my legs feel like running. If they feel heavy I take it slow, but if they feel light I run faster. I try not to do more than 2 hard-type runs in a row. If it's a race week, then the schedule changes depending on distance of the race and what day it falls on. If you are considering doing doubles, make sure you eat proper recovery nutrition after your first run and that you eat clean all day between runs or the evening run will suffer. Just allow yourself the flexibility to skip the second run of the day if you feel tired or need a break. Doing doubles is a great way to get injured if you ignore your body's signals. But on the other hand, it's a great way to improving your running if you're smart about it. Just listen to your body.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Nobby - I can't imagine what Blaine might have said to offend you, but attacking a person on a message board because you think you're more hardcore than them is pretty sad. Blaine - I'm from Maine too. Maybe I'll see you at a race sometime.
                            What Nobby said may have been harsh, but I really don't think it was an attack. Nobby has worked with the best and really knows his stuff. We should be great full that he shares his knowledge with us.
                            Sulli42

Ooooo... Nobby has shared his wisdom with us....we should be grateful. Big friggin deal, I don't care how much knowledge he possesses. He's arrogant, condescending, and egotistical.
                                Nobby - I can't imagine what Blaine might have said to offend you, but attacking a person on a message board because you think you're more hardcore than them is pretty sad.
                                Look; I didnt' mean to "attack" him; obviously, some people took it as an attack and he seems to have been offended. I tell you what though; it's quite obviously he is really into running (that he published a book) and he is very talented. I've seen people who worked their butt off and got okay; I've seen people with great talent and they think 2:30 marathon is so great that they get satisfied with it because they are too busy watching American Idol with their wives when others are out training (not necessarily ignoring their families--and if you can't understand the difference, I have nothing more to say). I was more of a former; I ran up to 125 miles a week but "only" 2:44 for the marathon--I was probably more built for shorter distance; got it down to 15 minutes for 5k but I just didn't quite have what it takes. The guy, in my opinion, can be even better. But if he's happy with 2:30, that's fine. I've got to say, you get what you pay for. If you want to achieve something a little bit "uncommon", you've got to be "uncommon" too. About a month ago, it was -38F with windchill (-15F). I was out doing my 2-hour run (okay, it was 1:55...). It's nuts! But you know what; I remember when I was 25, I was yelled at by this guy who went to Olympics twice that I'm soft because I missed a morning 10-miler once (yes, ONCE!). I took it to my heart. It frustrates me to see people with talent not utilizing it fully. That's all. If you take it as offensive; that's you.