Flu shots (Read 1073 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Still makes me wonder why Chinese health care workers don't want to take it

I'd love to see the source for this.  It is the first I have heard.

#artbydmcbride

I got the regular flu shot two weeks ago, they told me it is good to wait 25 days between that one and the H1N1 vaccine, so I will be good to get that in October.  Smile

Zoomy, they told me the regular flu shot should keep me immune for a year. (of the strains it is vaccinating for)

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy, they told me the regular flu shot should keep me immune for a year. (of the strains it is vaccinating for)

Oh, that's good news!  I don't know why I thought it was only good for a few months.  Maybe things have changed.  Not that I mind getting the shot, but at $25/injection it's already going to cost our family $150 for both flu vaccines this year.  I feel for large families.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

they told me the regular flu shot should keep me immune for a year. (of the strains it is vaccinating for)

I am not sure why they told you this.  The standard influenza shot usually provides immunity for about 3-4 months.  There is no reason that this year's would be different.

Then again, I know of no recommendation or biology that would require a wait between the standard influenza vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

$25/injection

The US government apparently will be providing H1N1 vaccination for free.  You may be able to find somebody who does not charge as high a fee for the actual act of injecting it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am not sure why they told you this.  The standard influenza shot usually provides immunity for about 3-4 months.  There is no reason that this year's would be different.

Ahhh...so it's probable that I will need a second shot later in the Winter.  OK.  Something to plan for.  Another question, is there any reason to plan flu shots around big races.  Reason I ask is that it sounds like the H1N1 will be available just before my Fall marathon.  Would I be wise to wait until after the race to get the injection...I don't recall a flu shot ever making me feel a bit under the weather in the past, but I know some people report that reaction.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The US government apparently will be providing H1N1 vaccination for free.  You may be able to find somebody who does not charge as high a fee for the actual act of injecting it.

I should find out if my PCP is cheaper than Walgreens.  I have always used Walgreens since it's easy to just walk in, but maybe my PCP does it on the cheap--at least for H1N1.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ahhh...so it's probable that I will need a second shot later in the Winter.  OK.  Something to plan for.  Another question, is there any reason to plan flu shots around big races.  Reason I ask is that it sounds like the H1N1 will be available just before my Fall marathon.  Would I be wise to wait until after the race to get the injection...I don't recall a flu shot ever making me feel a bit under the weather in the past, but I know some people report that reaction.

There are no recommendations to take a booster, which of course is odd given the fact that the vaccine does not last the whole season, but there it is.

The vaccine takes about 3 weeks to kick in fully.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

There are no recommendations to take a booster, which of course is odd given the fact that the vaccine does not last the whole season, but there it is.

Ha, that is odd.  I may ask my doctor what's his take.  After getting the flu 2 years ago (when the CDC mis-predicted the strains covered) I'm not eager to repeat.

~ Sarah Kay

Florida

I am not sure why they told you this.  The standard influenza shot usually provides immunity for about 3-4 months.

Why is that, Trent?  Does the virus mutate so quickly that that the vaccine begins to lose its potency?
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why is that, Trent?  Does the virus mutate so quickly that that the vaccine begins to lose its potency?

Vaccine loses its potency.

xor

Hold on.

You can get PCP at Walgreens?

Between this, shots that might last 3 months or 12 months,  and scared Chinese people, this thread confuses me.

A Saucy Wench

I should find out if my PCP is cheaper than Walgreens.  I have always used Walgreens since it's easy to just walk in, but maybe my PCP does it on the cheap--at least for H1N1.

For me Walgreens is usually cheaper...for some reason insurance doesnt cover the flushot so I get the fee PLUS the copay.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me Walgreens is usually cheaper...for some reason insurance doesnt cover the flushot so I get the fee PLUS the copay.

Yeah...would they handle that as a standard office visit co-pay?  Then I would break even.  And it's easier just to walk into Walgreens.

~ Sarah Kay

#artbydmcbride

Then again, I know of no recommendation or biology that would require a wait between the standard influenza vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine.

The CDC handout they gave me also says you only need one shot for the year.    

Runners run