Flu shots (Read 1073 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Poor guy.  My littlest is completely needle-phobic (which before I had him I always secretly assumed was the parents' fault somehow).  I always have him get flumist. 

On an unrelated note, I can get H1N1 vaccination in the morning if I can get to work before 8 (which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to RUN first!). 

Wow, sounds like you guys have the H1N1 vac pretty early.  That would be great if our health dept. had both, then I could get Dane taken care of with both at once and I could get my H1N1 shot, too.  Man, this year feels like a lot of running around for these shots.

Heh, the needle thing is definitely not inherited from me (the woman with 3 tattoos and thoughts of a 4th in a year or so).  I'm not at all stressed by the dentist, either.  But he's really apprehensive about shots and tense at the dentist.  I keep reminding him that a shot is WAY less miserable than the actual flu and that it doesn't hurt nearly so much as a bee sting (I think that's his biggest concern, since he has been stung 3x over the course of 8.5 years), but he's not buying it.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gah...this is beyond frustrating!  Today I take my kid to the county health dept.  Again we walk out with no shot.  Apparently they do not take credit or debit cards...we have a medical debit card to use towards all medical expenses.

Yesterday we found out that if his ped calls in a script that Walgreen's will give him a flu shot (not really sure what their under 14 policy is all about if they will give shots with a script...whatever).  So we try that option after being turned away at the health dept...turns out that our Walgreen's ran out of shots today and will not be getting more in.  Had the chick in the pharmacy told me about the script deal we could have gotten him his shot yesterday and saved me from driving a half hour out of my way.

Cripes, how many hoops are we supposed to jump through?  Over and over we're being told that one of the most at-risk groups for the flu is school-aged kids, but trying to get a child a shot is proving to be impossible.  His pediatrician's office is still not expecting either flu vaccine for at least another week or two.  Huh.

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

Wow, sounds like you guys have the H1N1 vac pretty early.  That would be great if our health dept. had both, then I could get Dane taken care of with both at once and I could get my H1N1 shot, too.  Man, this year feels like a lot of running around for these shots.

Heh, the needle thing is definitely not inherited from me (the woman with 3 tattoos and thoughts of a 4th in a year or so).  I'm not at all stressed by the dentist, either.  But he's really apprehensive about shots and tense at the dentist.  I keep reminding him that a shot is WAY less miserable than the actual flu and that it doesn't hurt nearly so much as a bee sting (I think that's his biggest concern, since he has been stung 3x over the course of 8.5 years), but he's not buying it.

I got it because I work in the emergency department sometimes.  The medical center got some of the very first vaccine distributed and the ED got the first out of the medical center, and I got there in the first 15 minutes it was being given out ....

Yeah, my little guy doesn't listen to reason either about the shots, though I try.  I guess reason isn't all that effective in the face of phobia.  I don't know why it surprises me.  My fear of heights is such that I get anxious flying a kite because the KITE is very high.  And I'm really really rational usually.

Sorry about the woes for getting seasonal flu vaccine.  My kids' ped had it, had a very simple process for giving it, and I was able to get my kids in and out easy peasy the weekend before last.    I figure I'll call next week and see if they have H1N1 in yet.  In theory, they could but I suspect it will be another couple of weeks. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry about the woes for getting seasonal flu vaccine.  My kids' ped had it, had a very simple process for giving it, and I was able to get my kids in and out easy peasy the weekend before last.    I figure I'll call next week and see if they have H1N1 in yet.  In theory, they could but I suspect it will be another couple of weeks. 

At this point I think Dane will be getting both shots at the same time.  I am tired of running all over just to get the one.  Now that the Walgreen's option is out we're going to have to drive to the other end of the damned county to get both shots.  Sheesh.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm a pharmacist and I'm certified by the State of Massachusetts as an influenza immunizer. I'l be administering flu shots at at least 4 clinics in October at CVS throughout the city of Boston. As nice as it would be for everyone involved, health care is not, and never will be, black and white. You probably won't like it but there is no defined time frame to receive your influenza shot.

If supplies were limitless and the flu vaccine never had to be changed, you could get your shot anytime of year. However, this is not the case. Manufacturers work all year long developing the vaccine for the next year's flu season.

You are right in the sense that the flu shot only lasts so long. But there's no time that's necessarily too early or too late to vaccinate.

There's also no way to predict when any given influenza season will peak - it is typically in February. The season lasts from October until March, so you are susceptible to the flu at anytime during this season (and outside of it too!) and yes, the immunity acquired from the flu shot may wean off by the end of the flu season if you get it earlier in the season. That is simply a risk you run in choosing the time of year to be vaccinated. I'd typically wait until end of October, early November as most activity doesn't really pick up until November. This does not mean you won't catch the flu in October though! Influenza activity has already begun.

Keep in mind it takes about 2 weeks to develop the immunity from your flu shot, so during this time you are still susceptible to the flu and should take all necessary precautions. 

Also - the vaccine can NOT cause the flu. This is a common misperception. Most people who get sick after the flu shot have a cold caused by another virus or have contracted the flu shortly before or during the 2 weeks after vaccination when they were not yet protected.

It is also possible that you may still catch the flu after developing immunity from the vaccine - in most cases the course of the flu will be shorter and less severe. However, you should still take necessary precautions to protect those around you (stay home from work or school, wash hands frequently, etc).

It is also correct that federal and state public health authorities are working on finalizing the H1N1 vaccine as well as the determination of who will administer it and where once it becomes available. You'll just need to stay tuned for this one.

Wash your hands. Get your flu shot while you still can. 

2012: Just run.

I'm getting my flu shot tomorrow.  Luckily, a clinic my company does business with is bringing the shots to us so it will be free (free for me anyways) and I won't even have to leave my office. 

Is there any possiblility that the shot will have any negative effects on my half marathon this weekend?  This will be my first year to ever get the shot.