Soccer mileage (Read 267 times)

I wore my Garmin while playing a 50 min indoor soccer game.  I play mid and run quite a bit.  Clocked between 4-5 miles - seemed about right.

I'm curious how is the Garmin getting a signal indoors?

None-the-less, everyone should know by now that the more turns you take with a GPS device, the more the distance will be off.

Julia1971

FYI, I did my most recent measurements with a calibrated footpod. 

MrH

None-the-less, everyone should know by now that the more turns you take with a GPS device, the more the distance will be off.

The high end systems used in team sports have a 5Hz or higher sampling frequency.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

The high end systems used in team sports have a 5Hz or higher sampling frequency.

Interesting. What models are those?

(though I don't understand how higher sampling frequency is going to offset the inherent errors in the GPS signal)

MrH

Interesting. What models are those?

Catapult Sports is one well known brand. I think they include accelerometers integrated with the GPS units to provide additional data,.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CatapultSports

I recall somewhere that the cost was around $1000 per unit, i.e. a team would need to spend about $15-$20k to get started.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

mrmky

Wow, had no idea so many runners were into soccer. It was the first game I have played in since about 6th grade, my ball handling skills are nonexistent. I knew this before I signed up to play, but hearing my wife's laughter when I whiffed a wide open shot on goal really drove it home, and tripping on the ball, and...

It was a really fun way to get some speed work in and I can't wait for the next game, maybe I'll even wear cleats this time.

Netizen Kane

Professional clubs use companies such as Prozone and Opta to give performance feedback on their players. The distance and speed info does not come from a GPS (the players don't wear these in matches). The system works by setting up cameras all around the ground and using software to "tag" each player and then track their motion.

Wow, had no idea so many runners were into soccer. It was the first game I have played in since about 6th grade, my ball handling skills are nonexistent. I knew this before I signed up to play, but hearing my wife's laughter when I whiffed a wide open shot on goal really drove it home, and tripping on the ball, and...

It was a really fun way to get some speed work in and I can't wait for the next game, maybe I'll even wear cleats this time.

I think it is the opposite.  Soccer players are into running to stay in shape.  That was the case for me in high school through about 30.  After I started running about 60 MPW I started getting more prone to injury during soccer games and I think I started to lose some agility.  I don't think high mileage is conducive to agility on the field, but a low mileage base of 30-40 MPW will help you stay at the top of your game.

djschroeder4

Reckon the above is about right. David Beckham was known as a particularly hard-working midfielder and would log 8-10 miles in a game.

No he wasn't.  He didn't play defense.

The pros high end can be in the 6-7 range.  If the game goes into extra time, we may be talking around 8-9.

CMJHawk86

I started out as a runner (HS & college), drifted into soccer in adulthood and eventually even became pretty good at it for a while, until i returned to competitive running in my 40s. I still play a little bit, mainly as a cameo for the one team that I still manage. And that's good enough for me now at age 50 in a league dominated by 20 and 30-somethings.

I still love the game and the camaraderie i have with my teammates, but once I decided I wanted to be competitive as a runner again, I learned very quickly that I couldn't fully support both sports. Something had to give. I think the biggest reasons I continue playing at all are the fact that my wife still plays (a lot more than me) and the many friends I have made on my team and around the league, particularly among my fellow captains.

On the mileage issue, I use a very simple rule of thumb. For every 15 minutes on the field, one mile. It's imprecise but I think a fair estimate. I have tried wearing a Garmin in training (not allowed in games) and the 15 minute estimate is not a bad one, at least not for me.

All that said, I don't lump my "soccer miles" in with my running miles. For logging and mileage purposes I treat it like a cross-training day.

Next game is Sunday. Will I play much? Maybe...if Saturday's 90-minute trail run doesn't take too much out of me. 

I don't play soccer, but I once played a game of capture the flag with a father son group, and it was one of the hardest interval sessions I've ever done. It was a lot of fun too.

I play on an outdoor turf field that is covered by a bubble during the winter.  It's able to easily get a signal.

I know the distance is off - but it's just an approximation.

Ready, go.

bap

Garmins are only accurate to 20-30 feet even in the best conditions. It;s impossible to track even track workouts accurately.

Calibrated foot pods won't be accurate either, as you're stride length will vary significantly in a field sport.

This is fairly typical in terms of accuracy. The workout was 8 x 400m in lane 1 (ignore the bit on the right, that was the rest period between interval.

Track workout

Certified Running Coach
                            Crocked since 2013

Refer to Netizen Kane's post above.

Garmins are only accurate to 20-30 feet even in the best conditions. It;s impossible to track even track workouts accurately.

Calibrated foot pods won't be accurate either, as you're stride length will vary significantly in a field sport.

This is fairly typical in terms of accuracy. The workout was 8 x 400m in lane 1 (ignore the bit on the right, that was the rest period between interval.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

No, but, I apparently can't keep a straight line when mowing

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete