Overuse of Anti-inflammatories (Read 1708 times)

Why is it sideways?

Okay, another thread got close to a question I've been wondering. What are the effects of the sustained use of anti-inflammatories, e.g. one Aleve a day for a month straight? And how much is too much? I know these are fairly vague questions--maybe someone can make them more specific for me.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

One aleve a day is not too much. A guide for what is too much is to look at the bottle of over-the-counter pills you are taking. It gives you a guide specific to that medicine. This is where is says, "if...consult a doctor". For Advils, most people can safely take 6 pills a day (6 x 200 mg = 1200 mg) for a week to four weeks, and many of us take more than that without trouble. But this should be under the guidance of a doctor. The risk is that you will blow out your kidneys. Permanently. Dialysis. Edema. Heart attacks. Or get an ulcer. Bad stuff these potential side-effects. But a lot of folks take antiinflammatories chronically for a long time. But again, with the guidance of a doc. What is wrong with pain? Pain is a lot safer than kidney failure. And it is a lot more pleasant too. You are a runner!

Why is it sideways?

Thanks, Trent. The bottle says not to take longer than 10 days. But, this seems strange and kind of arbitrary to me. Can I take for 10 days, then take 3 days off, then 10 days again? In other words, is the problem sustained use over, say months or years, or intense use over a short period of time? Maybe I should ask my doctor instead of wondering aloud on a message board. But then, I'd have to get a doctor. And go see her.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The 10 days is in part due to concern that you may be masking something more serious than running aches and pains. But if you were taking 2-6 pills per day, I would be more worried about cumulative damage to your organs. Everybody responds differently. Some folks fall apart after just a few doses. Others take high doses for years without trouble. Unfortunately, you do not know how you will respond. It is like these folks who drop dead of heart attacks during marathons. They had a serious heart condition. But they did not know it. I too may have a serious heart condition and not know it. You too. You may develop a bleeding ulcer tomorrow. You may never have any trouble whatsoever. See, pain is good Wink Go see your doc. She's nice.
            I was taking Advil every morning for an ongoing elbow pain earlie this year. Until it finally gave me a horrible upset stomach, seems it's not smart to take it every day on an empty stomach and it irritated my stomach lining. Blush Anyway, I finally decided to see a doctor for my real problem and found out I had tennis elbow/tendonitis. I went through physical therapy and am now on my way to recovery. Long story short: see your doctor! You dont want to take this stuff every day for the rest of your life!
            ---- Cynthia
              I usually try to stay away from using any drugs unless it's really bad.

Vim

Why is it sideways?

I usually try to stay away from using any drugs unless it's really bad.
                Me too. For the record, I'm not taking anything now. In my life, I've taken less than a bottle. In college we were given 1000mg a day of Ibu as a preventative. I always just palmed it. They make me nervous, which is why I asked. Like Trent says, pain is the voice of the body. I'd be interested to hear anecdotes of what and how much anti-inflammatories folks use.
                  Me too. For the record, I'm not taking anything now. In my life, I've taken less than a bottle. In college we were given 1000mg a day of Ibu as a preventative. I always just palmed it. They make me nervous, which is why I asked. Like Trent says, pain is the voice of the body. I'd be interested to hear anecdotes of what and how much anti-inflammatories folks use.
                  Jeff -- that is good to know, I guess I assumed too much from your original post and thought you were asking because you ARE taking them. Sorry!
                  ---- Cynthia

Prophet!

don't you hippies have your own type of pain relievers Sleepy
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"This is usually the part when people start screaming." Sylar
                      Awesome liner there!
                      Eryn

I did a quick literature search months ago to check on the use of NSAIDS (aspirin, motrin, advil, etc) during prolonged exercise use and dehydration.This definitely applies to marathons and ultras, not so much a halfmarry or less. The evidence was good enough to made me decide that anti-inflammatories weren't safe during these events for their potential to harm the kidneys when they are already stressed from dehydration from a race. I think Tylenol is a lot safer during these events. I'll have some time this afternoon to dig up that article. Google Scholar nsaids, exercise, and dehydration to get some interesting reads for those of us who are geeks. Smile

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

Wow - Thanks for the info, Trent. I was not aware of the risks - I had always heard it could irritate your stomach, but that's a laundry list of bad effects there. I popped them daily as I tried to battle back from a nagging knee injury, and would take them an hour or so before I tried to jog on it or do any leg activity (biking, etc.) - maybe I the injury shouldn't have been run on at that point anyway, but it always seemed like ibuprofen-aided activity felt better on my knee. Then (nearly two months after the initial injury) I read about how continued use can actually hinder proper healing of injuries. So am I right in assuming ibuprofen is best for acute injuries (i.e. when the pain starts to flare up) to reduce the inflammation and then to lay off after a few days once the swelling becomes less of an issue? For that matter, is the inflammation/increased blood flow/swelling always a negative thing? When we ice or take ibuprofen it decreases blood flow to the injured region - but isn't that blood flow good for healing? This is always something I wondered, especially about why it's better to ice injuries than heat them.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

With an injury, the body responds by initiating a process of inflammation. The inflammatory process brings to play the cells that will help heal the injury and the cells that will fight any infection, if that is relevant. However, inflammation typically also is associated with swelling and pain. Typically, as we understand the science, the degree of inflammation needed for healing is more than is necessary, and so there is excess pain. Think of a sunburn. Your sunburn would heal normally if you had no inflammation. But a sunburn is angry and red and painful. Excess inflammation. Antiinflammatories, such as ibuprofen, reduce the inflammation, but typically they do not reduce the healing. Which is to say, if you take ibuprofen for a twisted ankle, your ankle should still heal, but you won't hurt as much. That said, pain is generally not dangerous. If you can tolerate the pain, it is reasonable not to treat it. Pain reminds you not to go out running to quickly (or out into the sun, in the case of the sunburn). Pain warns you to take it easy, which may protect against further injury. Heat and ice both feel good. The reason why you do not want heat? I think of two: 1) you can actually increase the amount of unnecessary inflammation and therefore the pain and swelling; and, 2) you may soften the muscles around an injury which may predispose you to reinjury. It is reasonable to take antiinflammatories in the short term, but then to wean off as soon as you can tolerate it.
                            Mishka-old log

My anecdote... I use them when I have a hot spot that I believe I can continue to run through, but that's not going to clear up on its own. The assessment as to what type of issue falls into this category is purely subjective on my part. An example would be muscle soreness that lingers for more than about 3 days, or soreness in an area that's historically given me problems. I will reduce the running a bit and take anti-inflammatories immediately after the run. One thing I make sure I do NOT do. I will not take an anti-imflammatory before a run. I am deathly afraid of masking pain and making an injury worse. If I go into a run un-medicated, the pain will tell me if/when I need to stop. My philosophy on all this is changing, in a more conservative direction. I've been somewhere between a 7 and 8 on a scale with 0 being ultra-conservative and 10 being ultra-aggressive. The result...I've been injured a lot in my career.
                              Mishka-old log

Trent... I've been under what appears to be a false pretense that reducing pain, inflammation and swelling helps to speed the healing process. From reading your last post, it appears that the healing process is not aided (or hindered for that matter) by using anti-inflammatories. Am I interpreting this correctly?