Sub 3 How many miles per week? (Read 2499 times)

Adam_runbyfeel

Don't over complicate things!  It's very simple.  Go out and run.  Go out and run, A LOT.  Then go out and run that amount a little faster.  Everyone's heart rates may be different but %'s of max are not.

What's "a lot"?  build up to 1 hour every day, then build up every other day to 90 minutes, then build up one day to at least 2 hours.  When you can do that comfortably make the shorter days slightly faster, but still comfortable. 

When Frank Shorter was asked why he never wrote a book on running he said because it would only be one page long. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I followed the FIRST program and where it predicted a 3:40, I got a 3:39:40.  ...

I predicted 3:40 and ran 3:39:47, a couple days ago.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TripleBock

I remember Many 5x5 minutes @ CV with 5 minute rests - Where It felt like hard work - But manageable through the 5th rep.  But a few times after I was done I could tell I had picked a pace too fast and I was crispy and would need 2 days to recover.  Other times if I recognized this early enough I would cut it to 3 or 4 reps.

Hero efforts are for races - So I am generally agreeing with you.  But I do not race very often - So a few workout failures (Over doing it) a year are acceptible to me.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

Sweet -

When Frank Shorter was asked why he never wrote a book on running he said because it would only be one page long. 

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

There's a colonel of truth in there.

Too much private info.

Scout7

Too much private info.

That's a major assumption.

Only for the general situation. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

xor

Crap.  I was planning on coming back in here to make the 'major' joke, but I am obviously late.

Eh.  I'm just being Petty, chief.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Crap.  I was planning on coming back in here to make the 'major' joke, but I am obviously late.

Eh.  I'm just being Petty, chief.

You're asking for corporal punishment.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You're asking for corporal punishment.

Maybe you idjits should take this to a private forum.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

pibstar, I definitely agree that it seems more reliable to go by heart rate instead of pace. I'm also relatively speaking also much faster in a half-marathon than in a 5K, so the VDOT would be quite different for these distances which makes it hard to tell what pace should be used.

So in a little more than 2 months, I will give heart rate training a shot (when I have been doing what minute-wise corresponds to at least 60 miles a week consistently); it will probably be a nightmare to try to get the max heart rate Shocked . You wrote that you had some recommended reading for the method you suggest. Is there anything interesting besides Healthy Intelligent Training? I already have quite a few books on running but they don't really recommend the minute approach. On the other hand, doing what you prescribe is really quite simple!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Nice.

I would put it like this:

Data is what computers crunch.

Knowledge is what humans understand.

Wisdom is what we wish we knew.

Data ARE what computers crunch.

Knowledge is what humans who've interpreted data provide to humans who can't. 

Wisdom is what old people (or people with long grey beards) have.

:-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Why is it sideways?

Data ARE what computers crunch.

Knowledge is what humans who've interpreted data provide to humans who can't. 

Wisdom is what old people (or people with long grey beards) have.

:-)

Some thoughts on "data is" vs. "data are."

I know you are just being contentious, but knowledge is more than the "interpretation of data." For example, I feel justified in laying claim to knowledge about running and racing (that claim can of course be disputed), but I have not arrived at that knowledge through the interpretation of data.

[This is not the time or place, but yeah the metaphors we habitually use to describe knowing matter quite a bit, and I think the current trend to analogize the mind as a data processor carries with it a lot of unintended consequences that color the way we educate, what we expect in the work force from humans, and even--to keep this relevant--the way we train and run.]

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yeah, sorry, the smiley was supposed to off-put the contentious-ness.

I'm a data analyst, I often find myself correcting colleagues (lightheartedly) about the plurality of the word.  When I was in gradschool, my professors seemed think it was important to burn that into our heads (probably to be contentious!).

And don't go by UK English (your link to the Guardian) for the US standard (unless you're in the UK!), they refer to companies in the plural, which I find annoying (Coca-Cola are bottling a new soft drink, The BAA are changing the BQ standards, Verizon are not paying workers well, Scholastic are the publisher of Harry Potter).   Just some thoughts.

Now back to a sub 3.  I'm running 70mpw, up from 40-50 last season.  I better run sub 3 or I'll be sad (current PR is 3:08).  Though, in my pursuit to run a marathon a month this year, that might not happen from fatigue. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

Why is it sideways?

Yeah, sorry, the smiley was supposed to off-put the contentious-ness.

I'm a data analyst, I often find myself correcting colleagues (lightheartedly) about the plurality of the word.  When I was in gradschool, my professors seemed think it was important to burn that into our heads (probably to be contentious!).

And don't go by UK English (your link to the Guardian) for the US standard (unless you're in the UK!), they refer to companies in the plural, which I find annoying (Coca-Cola are bottling a new soft drink, The BAA are changing the BQ standards, Verizon are not paying workers well, Scholastic are the publisher of Harry Potter).   Just some thoughts.

Not back to a sub 3.  I'm running 70mpw, up from 40-50 last season.  I better run sub 3 or I'll be sad (current PR is 3:08).  Though, in my pursuit to run a marathon a month this year, that might not happen from fatigue. 

Contentiousness (hyphen unnecessary) is not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that you were half-sincere. I assume that you don't  believe in your heart of hearts that knowledge can be reduced to the interpretation of data, even if you are a data analyst.

I wasn't going by UK English; I was going by the reasons given. In the US, saying "data are" is certainly the exception to common practice, not the rule. Here's another source, written by the editor of the journal American Speech if you are interested. (I think that your professors were more interested in being snooty than in being correct; a common problem in academia!)

Yours contentiously.