Intervals? (Read 171 times)

ckerr1999

I need to start incorporating intervals into my training. I have been running for almost 3 years now and have neglected doing speed work. I read Spaniel's post on intervals but am wondering what i should start out with and how long my rest in between should be. I am thinking 12x400s with a 1 minute rest, then work up to 800s, 1200s, and 1600s?? I have been sick the last two week so hence the gap in my log. Still not 100% recovered but with a fall marathon looming can't afford to miss much more training. Thanks

Personally, I would start with a four to six weeks of short hill sprints(starting with 4 x 8 sec with full recovery, twice per week). Then work into fartleks. I cant say I'm a fan of intervals, but they work for many people. I guess it depends on how you want to approach it and what type of runner you are. Strides / hill sprints might be all that is needed for marathon training, not intervals.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

kilkee

runktrun

You are correct: speed absolutely will improve your marathon pace (when coupled with the correct mileage buildup, of course), but I don't think you should jump into 12 x 400, as parklife suggests.  Try striders, 100m sustained efforts that are NOT sprints but should feel very smooth and controlled and fast.  Hill bursts should focus on form and power.  Do strides every few days at the end of your easy runs and hill bursts once a week, with full walking recovery.  Do that for 3 weeks to teach your legs to move fast, then try 6 x 400.  Looking at your log, your 400m reps should be around 1:40-1:50 and you should be able to run the same pace for all the reps, but still feel tired enough to be glad you're done.  Notice I said "reps."  As per your previously reference post (forget who posted it), track workouts of various distances with different recovery times all tax you differently and serve different purposes.  True intervals are based on a set recovery time INTERVAL (not the distance run), and usually work VO2max and are very taxing, thus you do not want to do them every week.  Repetitions work on leg speed and turnover, and can even be used to just get used to a certain pace, and are usually shorter distances with longer recovery.  For instance, I would call 5 x 1000 at close to 5k pace on 1:30 recovery an interval workout.  It's almost like a 5k simulation and will beat you up.  400s at 3k-mile pace on 1:30 recovery is a rep workout and the recovery time isn't so important because it's the speed you want to maintain.

Here's a good calculator that estimates your workout paces based on a recent race performance: https://mcmillanrunning.com/

Use that to figure out how fast you should be running your 400s. It's obviously not exact, but use it as a guide and adjust your paces after you run a few speed sessions.  Start with 6-8 reps, see what paces you hold, then add 2 reps for the next session, then try to drop the pace for your third session. The main benefit of reps during marathon training is turnover and running economy.  Use something like 4 x 1200 only a few times in your buildup and make sure the pace is slow enough to allow you to run them all on short recovery.  For marathon training, longer tempo and marathon pace sessions will be very helpful too.  Try ending your long runs with 4 miles at your goal marathon pace, or a tempo session of 1mi MP, 1mi tempo, 1mi MP, straight through.  It will teach your body to continue to hold marathon pace as it fatigues.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

While the details would be different (my preferences instead), kilkee has good advice on easing into interval workouts. Start shorter and faster with the recoveries a little longer than normal. I like to start with 6x200m intervals at mile race pace with 200m jog recovery. I'll increase the distance to 400m (5K pace), 600m (5K pace), 800m (10K pace), and finally to 1000m (10K pace). I try to maintain the recovery at a 200m jog, but with 5K paced intervals you may want or need to use 400m at first. I see no need to go any longer than 1000m at your level. The target range for this type of workout is 2-6 minutes, so 200m is actually too short, but starting there to transition into intervals reduces the shock to your training. With a gradual build up in distance, the total interval distance of a workout should not exceed roughly 10% of your average weekly mileage or 3-4 miles, which ever is less.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

ckerr1999

Thank you very much for the advice. I started out tonight with 6x200s. I thought they would be pretty easy. Oh how wrong I was. Managed to get through 6.  Will do 200s for a couple more weeks and then increase to 400s then eventually 600s, 800s and 1000s.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thank you very much for the advice. I started out tonight with 6x200s. I thought they would be pretty easy. Oh how wrong I was. Managed to get through 6.  Will do 200s for a couple more weeks and then increase to 400s then eventually 600s, 800s and 1000s.

Be sure you aren't running them too fast.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

The recovery between the intervals matters in how easy the intervals will be.  6 X 200 with 90 sec walking recovery is very different than 6 X 200 with 40 sec recovery at the same pace.

kilkee

runktrun

I think early in your training, as you wade into the waters of true speedwork, focus more on form and how you feel and how consistent your effort is rather than your pace.  Time your reps, for reference, if you want, but don't race them.  And be wary of falling into the trap of running all your miles just hard enough to wear your down but not fast enough to really develop speed.  A lot of runners, myself included, end up running almost everything at a "moderately hard" pace because it feels ok, and even downright good, most days, but the cumulative fatigue from this will get you nowhere.  But sounds like you are on the right track.  Check back and let us know how things are going!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.