McMillian Pace Calculator (Read 586 times)

For the McMillian calculator should most of my standard aerobic base building runs be at the steady-state pace or the easy run pace?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

SMART Approach

Easy run pace. Steady state pace is like a slow tempo and nice to do once per week (year round) for stamina within a mid week longer run especially if focusing on half marathon, full marathon or are a low mileage runner. 3-5 miles is good within a mid week longer run unless a high mileage runner. Rotate this work out weekly with 5 X 3 min or 8 X 2 min Fartleks (faster but controlled pace-stay aerobic). Year round these work outs keep you improving your stamina without eroding base and in touch with a bid of speed. Striders good year round also. But most of miles should be easy run pace.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'm in complete agreement with Todd. Great advice.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

mikeymike

The imporant thing is that easy runs really be easy, regardless of what McMillan says. I find a lot of my easy runs are done slower than the slow end of his easy range.

Runners run