PF Chang's Race Report (Read 581 times)

Maniac

I completed my 2nd half marathon this morning. I was very pleased with the race, and shaved nearly 18 minutes off my last time. I finished in 1:59:48....My goal was 2 hours, so I had 12 seconds to spare...lol. On Friday night, my buddy agreed to drop me at the start and pick me up at the finish, which meant I could sleep later and skip the shuttle. I got up about 5:30 and got to his house around 6:30. He dropped me off at the start around 7:30, so I was able to see the full marathon start. I ate a little bit of a bagel and drank some Accelerade (nasty stuff...I can't seem to get used to it, and I've drunk it at 2 races and in several training runs). I did a little bit of stretching and warm-up jogging, then got in my corral (#6) about 5 minutes before the start. The race actually went off on time this year, and I crossed the start about 9 minutes after the gun. I ran pretty hard from the start (for me). I haven't dealt with water stops since last year, and I had a bit of difficulty in the first one (dropped 2 cups before I was able to get my hands on one). After that all went well until about mile 9. I hit a little wall at that point, then had some difficulty between miles 9 and 11. I felt pretty good after that, and pushed it a bit at the end to get in under 2:00. I love this race. The support on the course is great, and the volunteers are awesome. The bands are really entertaining, and everyone seems to be having a good time. For those who care, my splits according to my Garmin: Mile 1: 9:33 (missed the mile marker by nearly .1 mile) Mile 2: 7:57 (obviously found that one on time) Mile 3: 9:08 Mile 4: 9:09 Mile 5: 8:59 Mile 6: 9:09 Mile 7: 8:54 Mile 8: 9:02 (felt awesome at this point) Mile 9: 9:25 (starting to lose it) Mile 10: 9:10 Mile 11: 10:06 (hills...Wheels coming off) Mile 12: 9:32 Mile 13.1: 9:42 Interestingly enough...For the 2nd year in a row, Garmin measured the race at 13.21 miles...I guess I do exactly that much weaving every year.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Congratulations!! Excellent time too!! I agree...Accelerade is pretty nasty stuff. Big grin

Another Passion

Great race, Matt! Congratulations on the 18+ minute PR and finishing under 2:00:00!! Great job! Big grin

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Great Run! Did you know how close you were when you were in the final stretch and really push it or was it just a big coincidence?
          keep running!

Maniac

Great Run! Did you know how close you were when you were in the final stretch and really push it or was it just a big coincidence?
            I knew it was really, really close and I pretty much gave it all I had. I was looking at my Garmin so frequently (it seemed like every 5 seconds), that I'm sure I actually slowed myself down. Thanks for the kind words folks.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Stay healthy

congrats az! that's a great new pr you set, and nice job getting it right in under your goal. what a nice day, great weather, fun time. i ran the marathon, and had just an ok race, not my best showing. keep up your training and good luck on your next race!
                Great Job! I was there too, my mom and a friend were running and I went to support them. Once I got into the expo I was wishing I was running, the excitement of everyone was contagious! But I didn't want to pay $115 for late registration for the half. This was my moms 6th half and my friends first. Although I didn't officially run, I got in about 7 miles anyway. I ran the back roads to mile 1 to watch the marathon elites pass, then ran back to the half start to find my friend and mom. Right before the half started I ran back to mile 1 to watch them pass then back to the car where my dad and I drove to mile 9. Then I just ran back and forth between 9 and 10 until my friend passed. I really wish I ran, I think I'll do the full next year. I spent about an hour at the marathon finish just watching people finish, I love doing that. Seeing everyones joy and sometimes pain, determination and pride. As I read on a shirt "My heros wear bibs." Results: friend 1:49:49, mom 2:47:36 And how awesome of you, azredbirds on shaving 18 mins off your time!!
                2009 Goals: Under 4 hr marathon reach and maintain 125 lbs PR in at least 3 distances 1300 miles Complete my first Ultra
                HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Ran the marathon today. Congrats on your success! What a well organized and fun race. This was top notch and wish all races were this well done. Perfect day for a race. Big grin

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)

My Hero

Told you would break 2 hrs eh? Outstanding Matt. It was a great day for running! Tommy
                      Good job azredbirds! I crashed out BADLY around mile 11.5 or so....I had to walk a quarter mile and ended up sprinting at the end to the 13 mile mark, then realized I still had a 10th of a mile left...I've never hit the wall before in the last couple years of running and it was very frustrating when all was said and done....I wanted to break 2:00 but ended up at 2:04:49... Angry I got lightheaded and started wobbling...Very ugly situation but I was determined to run across that finish line after having run almost 12 miles of the race... Trust me though, I'd be ALOT more mad if it wasn't such a kicka$$ race....Crowd support was amazing, the bands were awesome, and running with my coworkers made those 13.1 miles go by very smoothly and enjoyably... Accelerade IS some nasty stuff...After the first table of that, I just held out for water from then on out...
                      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                        Congrats on the PR!! Way to go with the race

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

Maniac

Thanks guys!! You're right David...Awesome race....And Tommy is right, too...Great weather...Great day all around.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

Maniac

I crashed out BADLY around mile 11.5 or so....I had to walk a quarter mile and ended up sprinting at the end to the 13 mile mark, then realized I still had a 10th of a mile left...I've never hit the wall before in the last couple years of running and it was very frustrating when all was said and done....I wanted to break 2:00 but ended up at 2:04:49... Angry I got lightheaded and started wobbling...Very ugly situation but I was determined to run across that finish line after having run almost 12 miles of the race...
                            That does sound ugly....And I know what you mean about sprinting to that stupid camera at 13.0, and then having to gear up again for another 0.1...What the hell was the deal with that camera placement?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

Congratulations on finishing under 2 hours!!! Sounds like you had a great race! I ran PF Changs too and the weather was perfect! I agree about Accelerade. My stomach can barely handle it after the race so I stuck to water during the race. As for the camera at the end...I was too pooped out to sprint so I just ran "high knees" and hoped it would look like I was running faster. Wink Either it worked or I'll just look stupid in my race pics. Big grin Congrats again on your race!
                                I normally post on the master's forum and found this thread while looking for mcsolar's race report. What first caught my attention was the pre-race thread where you and dmiller mentioned being in corral #6. That was also my corral. We must have been pretty close the whole race. I ran for about 10 miles just behind or with the 2 hour pace group. While in a zombie state, I somehow realized at about mile 10 they weren't in front of me anymore. I finished in 1:58:58 and was excited about breaking 2 hours. I'm sorry to hear that dmiller hit the wall about 11.5 but still ran a fine race. Congratulations on your sub 2 half. (My report is in the master's section.) TomS