Racing flats for a half marathon (Read 684 times)

Is the half marathon to long of a run for racing flats? I’m hoping to be under 1:30 for a half this weekend and will need all the help I can get but, I don’t want to destroy my feet or legs in the process.
    JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Is the half marathon to long of a run for racing flats? I’m hoping to be under 1:30 for a half this weekend and will need all the help I can get but, I don’t want to destroy my feet or legs in the process.
      What have you trained in? I have run marathon's in racing flats before. I have also broken my foot in marathon's before. Bottom Line: Proceed with caution.
      mikeymike

Yeah it's different for everyone. What's the longest run you've done in flats? What's the longest race you've done in flats? How much training have you done in flats? How'd all of that go? The Hyperspeeds that you race 5k's in I would call a cushy racer--I'm thinking of getting a pair of those for my next marathon. But unless you've done some longer runs and races in them, I wouldn't experiment in the half marathon. You might get 8 or 10 miles in and your calves be so tight and cramped up you can barely run, not worth the couple seconds per mile you could pick up with flats.

Runners run

No, I race the half in flats. I also train in flats to help rpepare for it (I actually prefer training in flats). Allow some time prior to the race, I'd say as much as six to eight weeks, and do some running in the flats you intend to race in. Especially something longer several weeks before your race. It will give your body time to adapt to them. Good luck.

Runner

I recently found that the adizero cs's by adidas are really a great compromise because they are very light weight but give me a lot of cushion. I have lots less aches wearing them on 10 milers than I do w/ my nimbus 10's. I also have hyperspeeds and I don't think I'd want to wear them for a half but it might work for you. They are pretty cushy but since they don't have any heal at all they might not be good if you are any kind of a heal striker at all.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Pretty much agree. If you have time to train in them a little ahead of time, especially on a longer run, then you can discover if they will work for you. I've worn flats in races up to marathon distance to good effect, but especially for the longer races that are over 10k I make sure that I get at least a few medium to long runs in them a few weeks before the race. I've also had good luck racing in lightweight trainers.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Feeling the growl again

I race all distances in what most would consider 5K flats, but I also get a couple days a week in them (interval work and tempo usually). If you never work out in them, a half is going to hurt.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

I would say that a 1/2 would be no problem for you in flats as you already race shorter distances in them and based on your training and racing paces you're probably an efficient runner.

Right on Hereford...

I'm planning to do the Chicago Half in my Pearl Izumi Streaks. They have a bit more cushioning than most flats (I think), and are made for races from 5k to marathon, according to the marketing blurbs. I've run 5k, 10k, and 15k races in these shoes already, and have been doing about one tempo or interval workout a week in them as well, so I'm sure I'll be fine in them. The best thing? They make me FEEL fast! Big grin Good luck in your half this weekend. Let us know how it goes!
                      Thanks for the feed back. I think I'm going to give it a try, mainly b/c I agree w/ Dakota about flats making you feel fast. And we all know that what the mind thinks can be almost as important as ones training. I have run 10K in the past in flats with no ill effects. I now have a new ? for those who train in flats. how many miles do you all get out of a pair of flats Hopefully I won't have any trouble running the half in the flats but if I do I think I'll take Run to Win's advice and try some lightweight trainers
                        Flats work for me for the half. I only use them for racing so there's a psychological element to it too - like Dakota says, they do make you feel fast. I was wary before my first half in them but didn't have any problems. I had used them for 5, 10 and 15k's before this though. I used the Asics Magic Racer but they seemed to have stopped making that. I'm thinking of trying the Hyperspeed a couple of people have mentioned. Good luck getting under 1:30.
                        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                          Well racing flats rock! Or it may just be that the old saying “What the mind believes the body achieves” is true. Either way I knocked off 3 minutes and 21 seconds from my old PR and came in 14th overall. Thanks to you all for your input. All my finishing time was 1:27.08 Smile
                            Congrats. Was the race at the same place as last year? The open parts of the bike/walking trail made it a hot one last year.
                              Well they don't look like flats to me................just sayin Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Go Pre!

Well they don't look like flats to me................just sayin Big grin
                                Pi markets them as flats but they really are lightweight traininers...and a good long distance racing shoe. http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=1237483