Sore hip flexor and knee. (Read 67 times)

New runner

Hey guys.

I recently started running properly after I started a thread here on this lovely website.

I am now running easy, long runs 3-4 times a week and I have 1 hard run as well, in form of HIIT.

However, I've noticed that my right knee (the inner part) is a bit sore. Nothing crucial or something that bothers me while running, but I can feel it when I'm sitting. If I massage the inner part of the knee, I can feel it's sore. Now, this might be due to the stretching since I don't always have a soft surface, but I don't know.

The second and more annoying thing is my hip flexor muscle. Again, the right side. It's sore and a little bit painful if I stretch my leg out and to the side. When I'm lying down, I can find the area from which the pain originates, easier. I lie flat down and lift my right leg up from the bed, maybe 25-30cm, so that I'm really flexing the hip muscles, then I move my leg to the right a bit and I feel pain.

This is not an issue with my left side.

Anyone know what it could be? I really have to keep running since I have a test in December for the police academy here in Denmark. I really, really can't miss it. In fact, I have to pass it.

Help me? Sad

- Kemal Kinali

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

KK,

While your log is visible, there isn't much data to go on yet.  Could you describe your running up to the point of where the log starts?  I find it odd that a 3mi run should have any pains associated with it for a man of your physical fitness (assuming that's a self-portrait in your avatar).  Also, could you describe your lifting during this time?  (just enough to maintain?  Or are you strength training during this time as well -- your body might not be able to handle both).

The best thing to do about the hip-flexors is using a Foam Roller to "roll them out".  Some light conditioning of them (google good exercises) might be warranted as well.  Just don't go crazy.

As for the knee and foot issues, the best I can recommend is RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate).  My first year of running I iced my knees after almost every run.  Eventually, your knees work it out.

And just a note of decorum: within the running community you should avoid calling anything under 10miles a "long run". Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Easy culprit sometimes too: how old are your shoes? Shoes can cause problems all the way up if they are worn out or aren't supporting you the right way. On your log, you can input your shoes and track the mileage. Support will go before they look really beaten up if you aren't running on trails.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.