Thinking of getting some flats (Read 2199 times)

Runner

After taking part in the favorite shoe thread it got me to thinking of how good of an idea it would be to try racing flats. I've been running for two years seriously now and wear Asics Nimbus 9's more than any shoe. I'm a supinator and a forefoot striker. I weight 165 give or take a few pounds and that is on a 5'11" frame. I'm still not sure they are for me but I think I'd like to try them. I like the looks of the asics hyperspeed 2's because of good luck I've had with asics. I especially like the 6.6 ounces vs. the 12.4 ounces of the Nimbus. I'm looking for other people's experiences when they used the flats. Did injuries become more frequent/ or just arise? How much did you run in them to begin? What brands did you try? What distance do you think it is a good idea to race in them? Also feel free to throw in any other good pertinent information! Smile Thanks!

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

C-R

Here is my 2 cents. For full disclosure - I'm 180 and 5'9" (and yes I am working to get back to my marathon weight of 170). I switched to flats this fall along with my change in running form (former heel strike to a Ball of Foot strike). My experience so far: Injuries have not developed. I was recovering from AT casued at a marathon in 2007 while running in regular shoes. I did ease my way into the flats over about a three week period. I am training for a 1/2 and right now am at 20 mpw and ramping up. I currently have the following shoes: Puma H Street (these are so flat they only have one side), Saucony Kilkenny XC, and NB 950s. I enjoy all of these shoes. My current long run is 7 miles in flats with no ssues. I plan to run at least one marathon this year and will use the flats. My main reason is that these shoes provide me excellent feedback on my form. If I am running beyond my GCM, I know very quickly and can adjust. The other shoes provide me little feedback as they are heavy and padded. Hope this helps and best of luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

.... I am running beyond my GCM, I know very quickly and can adjust.
        acronym help: what is GCM?
          After taking part in the favorite shoe thread it got me to thinking of how good of an idea it would be to try racing flats. I've been running for two years seriously now and wear Asics Nimbus 9's more than any shoe. I'm a supinator and a forefoot striker. I weight 165 give or take a few pounds and that is on a 5'11" frame. I'm still not sure they are for me but I think I'd like to try them. I like the looks of the asics hyperspeed 2's because of good luck I've had with asics. I especially like the 6.6 ounces vs. the 12.4 ounces of the Nimbus. I'm looking for other people's experiences when they used the flats. Did injuries become more frequent/ or just arise? How much did you run in them to begin? What brands did you try? What distance do you think it is a good idea to race in them? Also feel free to throw in any other good pertinent information! Smile Thanks!
          I started training in flats after trying two different shoes and not being able to get rid of shin pain. I'm also a natural forefoot striker and supinate in most traditional trainers. Did injuries become more frequent/ or just arise? Not really, it alleviated my shin pain. My calves were really sore for a while and I'm still working through a few aches and pains in my feet/ankles/achilles, but it's much more manageable than the shin pain was. How much did you run in them to begin? I switched cold-turkey to the lightest flats available at the time, the Adidas AdiZero PRs. Probably not the smartest thing to do. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have gone that light right away. What brands did you try? I like the Adidas AdiZero line, but they're the only ones I've tried. What distance do you think it is a good idea to race in them? I think any distance is doable in them from what I've read, but you need to work your way up as your body adjusts to them.
          C-R

Sorry 'bout that => Gerneral Center of Mass (based on Pirie, Romanov, et al theories on running form). Basicaly landing with your feet underneath and not in front of the rest of your body.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

olepaul

I purchased a pair of Adidas running flats prior to a half-marathon a few years ago, and I really like them. I'm about your size (5'10 160 lb), use a neutral shoe and land mid-to-fore foot. I was a little apprehensive about injuries, but I really only use them for a run or two before a race and for races up to the half-marathon. In part, this is because they're only good for a few hundred miles, so I want to preserve them for racing (I'm cheap) and in part it's to limit the wear and tear on the legs. I'd stick with Asics if they work and give the flats a try. Just ease into them, maybe with some speedwork sessions initially. The reduction in cushioning is noticeable. But so is the weight (or lack of), which makes them a lot of fun. I've raced half-marathons in them without any subsequent injuries, so that I can recommend. I've decided not to use them in a marathon, though I know people do run marathons in them. Either way, my strategy is to largely save them for race day.
                Forgot to mention, I'm about 5'10" 162 lbs. I've had two minor bouts of tendinitis since I started training in flats. They both came immediately after racing new distances (my first 5K and 10K) and I should have stopped running during each race when I first noticed the pain. I don't attribute the injuries to the flats, more like not being properly trained and prepared for the races. So far I've run more mileage in flats injury free than I was able to in normal trainers. Just my $0.02.
                dfffff

5'8", 135 pounds, college-aged male Did injuries become more frequent/ or just arise? No injuries to date as a result of training in flats. My only injuries have been Achilles problems from running too many hills when I go back home. Before switching to flats, I was pretty much crippled with arch and foot problems for about 20 months. I could run but only for about 20 minutes and I wasn't getting any effective training done. When I switched into flats, I just went straight in because I felt so much better. My training has improved by leaps and bounds since then. That was 18 months ago. How much did you run in them to begin? I went full-time into flats without any transition period. My calves were pretty sore for a long time and I had to ice a lot but I wouldn't have been able to run otherwise if I ran in normal running shoes. What brands did you try? I've used the Nike Zoom Streak XC, Adidas Adizero RC/Pro/Mana, Saucony Kilkenny. Of those shoes, I think the Adizero RCs are the best. I'm on my third pair and have no intention of switching to another shoe. What distance do you think it is a good idea to race in them? If we're talking about road races... all distances.
                    There's a couple things from what I've seen that I'd share regarding flats. My experience using them comes solely from cross country style races, so we're talking trails and such, and not roads. Also means there are spikes in them (huzzah for extra traction!). If you don't plan on trail racing with them...some of my experience won't be as applicable I suspect. First, flats can sometimes be dirt cheap compared to training shoes. Depending on the ones you're looking at getting, it may be that you can drop the money to give a pair a shot and see what you think anyway. Second, the weight really is noticeable. It's practically like running barefoot, so very nice. Third, it's practically like running barefoot... so another piece of what that means is that you don't have the cushioning there. Step on a rock with your heel at full force, you're much more likely to get a nice bone bruise that will keep you from walking effectively for a few days (personal experience). Fourth, they'll wear out a bit faster than training shoes, so it means you'd probably want to be careful with how you break them in. All that in mind, I've had good experiences. I'd almost say I'd love to always run in them on trails because it just feels so much faster. I've probably got less than 100 miles on my NB 240XCs (I think that's what they are, they're buried somewhere in my closet at home), partly because I haven't really gone and sought out races that aren't road races anymore. The most I've really had a chance to run in them at once though is probably only a bit over 5mi, though I can't imagine that there'd really be an upper limit to what I'd want to run in them on the trails.

~J

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Since I started running, my shoes have gotten increasingly minimalistic. Last year when I was training for my first marathon, I decided to switch to running in flats. I had no injuries and really enjoyed the feel of them. I'm 6'1" and weighed about 220 at the time. Sadly, I only got 250 miles out of them and didn't feel like buying new shoes every 5 weeks. I ran my first marathon in light trainers (Saucony Tangents). Probably would have been better off using a regular pair of nuetral cushioned shoes. The gains I made by saving a few ounces were more than offset by pounding I felt due to lack of cushioning. I race in light trainers up to HM and have no problems. Once I go long, I definitely need a bit of extra cushioning.
                        I’ve run exclusively in lightweight trainers or flats since I was in my late 30’s. I’d estimate 70% flats and 30% light trainers. I’ll even run 9-minute miles in flats on recovery days. Who wants to be picking up a pair of heavy gunboats with every step when your legs are tired? I turn 62 this week and have never had a serious injury (knock on wood). Two years and 9 months ago I had to take 10 days off for a minor one, which was my longest time ever on the sidelines with an injury. I don’t often wear the super lightweight models, though, and prefer the ones that have decent cushioning between 6.0 and 9.5 oz. The models I’ve tried are too numerous to mention. I sure wish they still made the Nike Air Sock, though. It was kind of an elastic sock with a sole on it. I’ve never worn a shoe before or since that fit so well, and it was surprisingly cushy for having so little to it. I ran everyday in those things and even raced a marathon in them. Favorite models that are still being made are: Saucony Grid Type A - 9.1 oz – This is a trainer that is light enough for racing. Perfect for HM and marathon. Good cushioning and a great fit. I like this one a lot. Asics Bandito Racer – 7.9 oz - A great flat with very good cushioning. It replaced the Ohana that is one of my all-time favorites. I still have an almost new pair of Ohanas but they won’t be making any more. The Bandito is very similar. I have several other discountinued models that still have plenty of miles left in them. Of those the Asics DS Racer VII (6 oz) is one of my favorites. Although I’ve not yet tried the Adidas Adizero I have heard that it is similar. >What distance do you think it is a good idea to race in them? This is highly individual, imo. I wear flats or lightweight trainers (usually flats) for all distances up to the marathon. My advice would be to try them on training runs first.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Runner

I pulled the trigger on a middle ground for me. I decided to go with a little less cushion right now and a very small weight difference. I got the asics Gel Stratus and did one six miler in them today. They are noticeably lighter than my nimbuses though only stated is a small difference of like an ounce or 1.5 I believe. I went to my shoe store and told them what I wanted. They steered me away from flats for right now basically because of how much cushion I am used to right now. I may eventually get a pair of flats based on what a lot of you all have said. It seems there have been very few negative things said about the proposition. I took the Stratus for a spin and noticed the thing I liked most was that it seemed to have a fair amount of cushion but also was a LOT more flexible. I think that was more of what I was looking for in any case. Thanks again all. And keep those opinions coming. If I get a flat it'll probably be a hyperspeed 2 b/c I want asics because they fit me better and they are what I am used to. The banditos have some duomax posting that I don't need and the other shoe seems a little pricey and I've read some less than favorable reviews on their durability. Thanks again.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Nate Grant

if you want a compromise i highly suggest the asics gel-speedstar (II if you cant fine the orginals) about 9 oz. and a great durable shoe.
                            kcam

I’ve run exclusively in lightweight trainers or flats since I was in my late 30’s. I’d estimate 70% flats and 30% light trainers. I’ll even run 9-minute miles in flats on recovery days. Who wants to be picking up a pair of heavy gunboats with every step when your legs are tired? I turn 62 this week and have never had a serious injury (knock on wood). Two years and 9 months ago I had to take 10 days off for a minor one, which was my longest time ever on the sidelines with an injury. I don’t often wear the super lightweight models, though, and prefer the ones that have decent cushioning between 6.0 and 9.5 oz. The models I’ve tried are too numerous to mention. I sure wish they still made the Nike Air Sock, though. It was kind of an elastic sock with a sole on it. I’ve never worn a shoe before or since that fit so well, and it was surprisingly cushy for having so little to it. I ran everyday in those things and even raced a marathon in them. Favorite models that are still being made are: Saucony Grid Type A - 9.1 oz – This is a trainer that is light enough for racing. Perfect for HM and marathon. Good cushioning and a great fit. I like this one a lot. Asics Bandito Racer – 7.9 oz - A great flat with very good cushioning. It replaced the Ohana that is one of my all-time favorites. I still have an almost new pair of Ohanas but they won’t be making any more. The Bandito is very similar. I have several other discountinued models that still have plenty of miles left in them. Of those the Asics DS Racer VII (6 oz) is one of my favorites. Although I’ve not yet tried the Adidas Adizero I have heard that it is similar. >What distance do you think it is a good idea to race in them? This is highly individual, imo. I wear flats or lightweight trainers (usually flats) for all distances up to the marathon. My advice would be to try them on training runs first.
                              Exactly my experience. My everyday shoe is the Asics DS trainer which is a lightweight trainer - used it for my entire running life. I run marathons and some speedwork and just some easy miles in racing shoes. I had a pair of DS racers that I used for several marathons - loved 'em (got em from telarunner for like $15 I kid you not!). Now I use Adidas Adizero (which I got at shoe pavilion of all places for about $40) and they're pretty good too. I may have to try out the Bandidos. So racing marathons in flats for me = GOOD. I'm 5'8" 170lbs.

The Greatest of All Time

Exactly my experience. My everyday shoe is the Asics DS trainer which is a lightweight trainer - used it for my entire running life. I run marathons and some speedwork and just some easy miles in racing shoes. I had a pair of DS racers that I used for several marathons - loved 'em (got em from telarunner for like $15 I kid you not!). Now I use Adidas Adizero (which I got at shoe pavilion of all places for about $40) and they're pretty good too. I may have to try out the Bandidos. So racing marathons in flats for me = GOOD. I'm 5'8" 170lbs.
                                DS Trainers are great shoes. Although I do must of my running in 2130's, but I feel I could get by with just using DS Trainers. 5'9" 170.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.