First Race This Weekend (Read 788 times)

This Sunday will be my first race, a HM. Does anyone have advice on how to approach nutrition/hydration between now and then? Thank you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Lazy idiot

Whatever you've been doing to this point... keep doing it. Now is not the time to introduce new stuff to your routine. That's my advice: maintain the status quo

Tick tock

The Greatest of All Time

What Drew said...and maybe eat a 'little' more complex carbs the afternoon and evening before the race but don't go nuts. Whole grain pasta is an easy choice, but again, don't go nuts. Assuming you have been eating reasonably well, there shouldn't be much that needs adjusted.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Thanks very much guys. Marcus, was that 210-miler some kind of New Year's dare?

The Greatest of All Time

Thanks very much guys. Marcus, was that 210-miler some kind of New Year's dare?
            Oh God no. I wasn't keeping my log on RA until late January so I just entered that one entry to account for my January miles before I started my online log. 210 miles.....lol My ass may be dumb, but I ain't no dumb ass. Wink
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            JakeKnight

This Sunday will be my first race, a HM. Does anyone have advice on how to approach nutrition/hydration between now and then? Thank you.
              Moderation. Hydrate well, eat some carbs, but don't go nuts. The only truly bad running mistake I made was once thinking that if hydration was good - then drinking nothing but Gatorade for a week must be great! If carbs are good, pigging out on pasta for a week solid must be super-good! Uh, no. Moderation and common sense. Eat healthy, drink some water, go run.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Moderation. Hydrate well, eat some carbs, but don't go nuts. The only truly bad running mistake I made was once thinking that if hydration was good - then drinking nothing but Gatorade for a week must be great! If carbs are good, pigging out on pasta for a week solid must be super-good! Uh, no. Moderation and common sense. Eat healthy, drink some water, go run.
                Thanks, Jake.

SMART Approach

Tips for race day. Wake up 2-3 hours before the race and top off your carb stores. This could mean some toast, banana etc or whatever you eat before your runs. OR, 2-3 gels w/ Gatorade water mix. I personally eat 300 calories of Accelerade Gel w/ some 12-16 oz of diluted Gatorade about 2 1/2 hrs before race. I don't eat or drink anything until about 30 min before when I consume my caffeine herbs w/ a bit of water. As mentioned, don't try something crazy. OR give it a test on Wed or Thur. Get up earlier and consume as you would for half and then go for a run. Good luck, you will do great and don't stress out over this.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Tips for race day. Wake up 2-3 hours before the race and top off your carb stores. This could mean some toast, banana etc or whatever you eat before your runs. OR, 2-3 gels w/ Gatorade water mix. I personally eat 300 calories of Accelerade Gel w/ some 12-16 oz of diluted Gatorade about 2 1/2 hrs before race. I don't eat or drink anything until about 30 min before when I consume my caffeine herbs w/ a bit of water. As mentioned, don't try something crazy. OR give it a test on Wed or Thur. Get up earlier and consume as you would for half and then go for a run. Good luck, you will do great and don't stress out over this.
                    Thanks, Todd.

Just note to let you know that I ran my race yesterday, incorporating all your advice. It helped a lot. Is there a general approach to the week after a "big" race? take off running for the week? cross train? cut back miles? My left quad is QUITE sore.