How much does it cost you to run? (Read 1418 times)

I'd basically pay whatever it takes to be able to run. Its so much a part of life now that I can't simply imagine doing without it.
      Thinking back on it, I don't think it's possible to put a value on running, much like putting a value on walking. For us runners anyway. And yes, I do plan to run Comrades, which I guess is pretty hectic, but if you live in South Africa, it's relatively common among runners. All in the mind I guess.

Marathon runners suffer the agony of da feet

went from a DDD/F to a more reasonable and proportionate D
        Couldn't you have thrown some of those boobs this-a-way? ... or is this talk better sutied for the Ladies Locker Room? Wink
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Couldn't you have thrown some of those boobs this-a-way? ... or is this talk better sutied for the Ladies Locker Room? Wink
          Hah, you are at least 10th in line looking for donations...not sure that I had enough to share with so many, but it's a shame that what I was rid of couldn't have been given to a good cause.... Wink Trust me, though, less is more when it comes to running! Ds are still a PITA when it comes to finding a good sports bra--they can't be had for much under $40 full retail. Guys are SO lucky to not have to spend $$ on that running "gear." Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Looking gooooood ;p

I'm sure there's some chaps here (like me) with man-boobs who could make a donation Clowning around Back to the cost of running - my biggest expence is probably buying new music to run to... Oh, and another thing - every item you have mentioned above costs twice as much in the UK! Hence I am off to work in Salt Lake City for 3 weeks on Sunday with a long shopping list and an empty suitcase Wink
            The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
            derek

Any running-related travel?
              For me, the travel is going to take me over the top this year. I'm running Chicago and the family is going with me for the 3 days. In the end, between airfare, hotel and meals, it's going to cost me just over $2000. When you factor in other running expenses like the GPS I got earlier this year, shoes, etc, I would probably hit $3,000 in running-related expenses for 2007.

Derek

The Floor Walker

Never really thought about how much I spent. I always assumed it was pretty cheap. Here's my breakdown of expenses for the first half of this year (jan - june): Yearly running club dues - $35 USATF Membership - $30 2 pairs of H-Streets shoes - $98 (bought off of ebay) 2 pairs of running shorts - $30 (generic eastbay brand $15 each) Six pack of hanes t-shirts - $20 Entry fees for 5 races - $114 Total = $327 Projecting this over the rest of the year I think the total would be somewhere around $500 -The memberships/dues are a one time expense -The shoes and apparel should last me for the rest of the year. I'm pretty confident I can get at least 1,000 miles on each of my h-streets before they fall apart so won't really need new ones until next year. I stopped wearing socks when I run so can easily eliminate that expense. I do wear an old chronograph watch that I bought in college and will hopefully last for much longer. -The only real expenses to be incurred over the next six months are entry fees. I have about 5-6 races lined up with one being a marathon so that will be the bulk of the expenses. -I pretty much stay local and carpool for all my races so travel expenses are slim to none In conclusion, one of the great things about running is its simplicity. If you really wanted to you could get away with spending little to practically nothing on the sport.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

- my biggest expence is probably buying new music to run to...
                  Ack, I forgot about that! I've spent a LOT on music for running to in the past year...luckily some of it has come from iTunes gift cards--LOVE those things! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

So far this year: Normally: 6-7 pairs of shoes - 500-600 6-7 pairs of shorts - 50-60 (thank you target) Socks - 30 Trail Pass - 20 Race Registration - 350 ish Travel - 300 total: 1,260 Not too bad when you consider it keeps my sanity. One Time expenses (this last year) Garmin : 200 MRI: 1300 XRays: 50 Dr.'s Visits: 450 New Car Stereo: 500 Renters Insurance Deductible: 350 Total: 2580 This year so far has been expensive thanks to a broken leg and getting my knee taken car, the punks who broke into my car down by the riverwalk (while running). other than that I can handle the 200 bucks lumped on top of the usual expenses.

Burninated Peasant

Ocean swimming is probably the cheapest sport - all you need is a suit and a pair of goggles.
                      ...and a hou$e near the ocean.
                        So far this year: $160 on race fees $0 on running shoes (my aunt buys them for me Big grin) $40 on running clothes (thrift shops and sales!) $12 on water bottles to run with (reusable squirty kinds) $45 on Dr. visits after injuries while running. $5 on road ID bracelet (won a gift cert. for the rest of the cost) Total so far: $262 Not too bad. Modified to add: Oh, yes, and the extra food ...due to the increase in mileage, probably adds $20 to the groceries each week since I am buying more healthy stuff now, and a lot of it.

Michelle

Burninated Peasant

Wow, I guess it helps to be a bit of a tightwad. This year, I've spent money on: - 5 pairs of shoes @ around $50 ea (bought on clearance in January) - Race entry fees (max 1 race per month, typical cost ~$25) - Extra food to fuel my habit without wasting away (30-45% more than I would need if not running. Yikes!) That last one is probably the biggest item. I can't really calculate a cost though, since my son went from having his mom filter his food to being a ravenous solid-eating beast in the last 12 months. Between the two of us, we don't need to worry about leftovers anymore.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I asked the guy at the bike store just the other day what it would cost me to get an "average priced bike". After he finished explaining to me that an "average" bike was 1K, I decided to just keep running. I've spent about $300 on running gear in the last year and most of that will last me quite some time. DB
                            I'd say $1k gets you solidly started with biking - an entry-level bike that's good enough to have cheapness problems, but not prevent buying the other essentials: helmet, gloves, some clothes, water bottles, spare tubes, basic tools, and a bike computer. Get the bug with that bike, and in a few years you can spring for an above-average bike that'll be like a second spouse. did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...and in a few years you can spring for an above-average bike that'll be like a second spouse. did
                              Damn you, Ruby...damn you! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I got a Schwinn WorldSport from about 1976. It goes. I still have the platform pedals on it, but I removed the toe cages (safety), and the suicide levers. I was riding my bike to work a fair amount last year. But I get irritated and stopped. Plus I ended up needing the time for marathon training.