The SHAKES ruined my run :( (Read 848 times)

I am in the middle of C25K...and on Tuesday ran for 28 minutes. Felt great. About halfway into todays run I started to get the shakes. I think that's when you have low blood sugar or something. Anyway, my hands were shaking and my knees were wobbly. I had to slow down to a fast walk for the rest of the way. It completely cratered the workout. An hour later and it's finally starting to subside. I've been drinking water and just ate a Kashi granola bar. Anyone have this happen to them??
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've had that happen to me when I'm really tired but never during a run. I think it's important to really listen to your body; I would've probably quit the run and gone home early. Slowing down might help in your run too. You can repeat days or weeks in C25K as you need to. Listen to your body. Over the next day or so, make sure you are eating enough, try to get enough sleep and hopefully next run with be shake-free.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you eating a ton of carbs (ie "low fat") and not enough protein or fats? If so, stop. Nothing makes for flaky blood sugar quite like an overabundance of carbs relative to protein and fat in the diet. Ask me how I know...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Today I had fruit and a non fat latte for breakfast. I had a 6"subway sandwich with Baked Lays for lunch. I've had the shakes before but it really sucked during my run - what is a good pre-run food to eat? Thank yoU!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As long as your sub had some meat on it you should have been OK. But if it was many hours between lunch and your run that could make for some shaky running, too. Some people can run on empty stomachs, but a lot of us can't. I personally like some peanut butter on whole wheat toast or a bagel or some cheese, or hard-boiled egg...nuts, stuff like that. I'll eat a snack like that maybe an hour before heading out on a run. Maybe a few hundred calories--not a full meal, but enough to give my stomach something to do. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and another thought, maybe a bit more for breakfast. Not sure how much of a supper you ate, but your breakfast was very low in calories. You'd want to shoot for probably closer to 1500 to keep from going under what your body needs to function. If you're not trying to lose weight, then over 2k is not at all unreasonable.

~ Sarah Kay

Tell us about yourself in your profile. All I know is you ran 54 miles by your log, which may or may not be accurate if you recently joined. Perhaps you have the DTs? In which case, either have drink or detox. Wink Sometimes, you can just have a crappy run and feel off. Or feel off and have a crappy run. Try to backtrack and see if what you ate (or didn't eat) may be the culprit.

Half Fanatic #846

...or, there could be a medical problem that merits the attention of a physician. Please take care of yourself! Yes

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

...or, there could be a medical problem that merits the attention of a physician. Please take care of yourself! Yes
                    Excellent point. I tend to let off things occur once or twice, chalking them up to offedness, then I look for help. So, listening to your body helps. Just this week, I went to the dr. for offedness. Turns out, I am OK.
                      Hey what are the DTs? I've always had the shakes - they usually hit around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. But I haven't had them in a while. I've been walking since the spring and started C25K around May/June timeframe. Going really slow. Usually it takes me two weeks for each week. I'm also on weight watchers. It's really tough to stay withing the point system some days - especially the day after I run when I'm really hungy. But it's working so far and I've lost about 20 pounds. Thanks for the input - peanut butter on toast sounds pretty good before a run...
                        P.S. I updated my profile Smile
                          Hey what are the DTs? I've always had the shakes - they usually hit around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
                          DTs are delirium tremens, it is caused by alcohol or drug withdrawal, usually along with chronic alcoholism. I think he was kidding. If this is common and given the time frame I'd say back up on refined carbs and processed food. Sounds like blood sugar issues. You might want to see a doc to rule out hypoglycemia of a sort that needs attention.
                          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                          • Complete a 10K fun run
                            I tend to get them if I have eaten a lot of carbs and not enough protein. I know when I was following WW religiously I tended to pick up their meals quite a bit. Lots of carbs in that and very little protein. I've started eating more lean protein and real food instead of boxed stuff. It has made a big difference. I also notice if I eat something sweet for breakfast (even just fruit) without any protein of any kind, I'll get the shakes later in the day. Try adding a boiled egg or something with your fruit in the morning.
                            Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers