Any vegans out there? (Read 333 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

My wife and I did for a year and then stopped.

I have cut way down on my meat eating.

I have peanut butter for breakfast.

I eat beans for lunch several days a week.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Thanks, I did not even know there was such a site where you could track micro nutrients.  I will google it

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

WickedRunThisWay

UJ/EJ

I am vegan and an ultrarunner.  Recommend home cooked meals vs vegan fast food which is very unhealthy.  Rice, beans, veggies, and fruits.  I have carrots and hummus for breakfast and a bowl of berries.  I eat throughout the day lots of mini meals.

I also eat throughout the day, a lot of mini meals.  Although my breakfast is usually biggest...

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

80% vegan here.  I make sure to take a B-12 supplement and eat a good amount of spinach, kale etc for the iron.

Peanut butter is part of my breakfast routine too...one big dollop in a bowl of steel cut oatmeal.

#artbydmcbride

80% vegan here.  

Hey, I think I am 80% vegan, 10% pescatarian, 5% meatatarian, and 5% ice cream eater

Runners run

JimR

Hey, I think I am 80% vegan, 10% pescatarian, 5% meatatarian, and 5% ice cream eater

I find 5% ice cream too grainy.  I like the 20% stuff.

That sounds a lot like my breakdown, though I usually substitute beer for the meat and ice cream.

Loved Jurek's book - Eat & Run.  Also enjoyed Rich Roll's - Finding Ultra.  and Brendan Brazier's - Thrive.   I'm almost vegan.  I occasionally have fish or eggs, but not very often.  And I still have occasional dairy.  I do it because I feel healthy, recover faster, don't get sick, have more energy... so many reasons.

If you're on Twitter, check out #VegRunChat.   Awesome group of vegan and vegetarian runners.  (also at vegrunchat.com)  I've gotten tons of support and learned alot of tips through them.  NoMeatAthlete actually hosted one of the last chats.  Smile

I'm not, but Scott Jurek is.  He's got a fantastic book out on Ultramarathoning and eating vegan.  (That is, eating vegan foods...not eating vegans!)

Loved Jurek's book - Eat & Run.  Also enjoyed Rich Roll's - Finding Ultra.  and Brendan Brazier's - Thrive.   I'm almost vegan.  I occasionally have fish or eggs, but not very often.  And I still have occasional dairy.  I do it because I feel healthy, recover faster, don't get sick, have more energy... so many reasons.

If you're on Twitter, check out #VegRunChat.   Awesome group of vegan and vegetarian runners.  (also at vegrunchat.com)  I've gotten tons of support and learned alot of tips through them.  NoMeatAthlete actually hosted one of the last chats.  Smile

I'm not, but Scott Jurek is.  He's got a fantastic book out on Ultramarathoning and eating vegan.  (That is, eating vegan foods...not eating vegans!)

Village people

No room for wine or beer?

RunNow

I eat beans for lunch several days a week.

So your old, ugly, slow and gassy?

JoyceH

My husband and I are both vegans of 8 years. I've been veg for most of my life. We are both ethical vegans and both marathon runners. (I'm 44 yrs old and my marathon PR last October was a 3:07:56 so clearly I'm getting enough protein)

There's a difference between being vegan and eating a plant based diet. It's all good and everyone is on their own path. But when I say vegan, I do it for the animals. It's a lifestyle and I'm very passionate about not causing harm to animals. :

And we do drink a little beer and wine...all in moderation 

Kalsarikännit

RA has groups for everyone. Even bean lovers.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/veggies/forum

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xhristopher

I remember several years ago my son asked me what a vegetarian was. When I explained it to him the look on his face was priceless. He couldn't imagine why anyone would choose not to eat lovely things like pork, chicken, beef, and even "fish fingers." It was an nonsense to him. Now he understands a little better but still enjoyed the heck out of some dead chicken tonight. When he sees them walking around a farm he thinks they are cute then pretty much thanks them for tasting so good.

Yeah, we tricked him into eating fish by disguising it as chicken fingers. Now he loves it.