New to running (Read 1077 times)

woody64

As of now doing one lap around the block I live on in a pair of worn out NB766. I am 5'10" and 252lbs trying to get back to 167lbs. What would be good shoes for a fat boy like myself????
      As of now doing one lap around the block I live on in a pair of worn out NB766. I am 5'10" and 252lbs trying to get back to 167lbs. What would be good shoes for a fat boy like myself motivated guy like me????
      Fixed that for you Smile Welcome woody64! Congratulations and good luck on your journey. You've come to a good place - plenty of knowledgable folks here of all ability levels. I have two pieces of advice regarding the best shoe for you: 1. You don't have to spend megabucks to get a decent running shoe. 2. Go to your local running store and talk to the staff. The store staff can take a look at you, your gait/stride, etc, talk with you and make a good recommendation as to what shoe would work best for your personal situation. It's painless, and it works - like many others I'm sure, I learned this the hard way. I'm looking forward to reading about your progress! Big grin

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Krisruns

Congratulations!! You will love running and what it does for your body and mind. I totally agree on going to a local running store, and being honest with them about how much you are running and how much you want to run, etc. If you don't start out running with good shoes, you are likely to get injured or be more sore than you need to be, which will then result in your not running. Good luck!!

De-slacking in progress

You might want to looking into the cool running website for beginning training programs also- this will help keep you motivated and most importantly prevent you from injuring yourself from running too hard too fast. As a fat 46 yr old myself, I've successfully used the Couch to 5K program (C25K) as many 1000's of other have had. It works- just follow the program and you'll be amazed at the results. About 3-4 months ago I couldn't run 100yrs but as of today I can run 4 miles easily and will be running 5K's http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/182.shtml Read all you can, but come back here- running ahead is the best site and you can log your progress here on this site.ASK questions and read the thread here- you'll learn alot for free.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Think Whirled Peas

Welcome to running woody!!!!!!! I will echo what you're getting so far on shoe advice. Talk to the shoe peeps at your running store, and be both honest and realistic w/them about your intentions for running. The single best thing that happened to me when I started was going to the running store and getting a good pair of shoes (Asics Nimbus VIII). I was (and still am) on the heavy side and my first pair of shoes were $40 jobs from the Sports Authority or some such store, and they were KILLING my legs. I thought I just wasn't going to be able to run, too big, too outta shape, and all that. I got a pair of shoes designed for my size and running style, and (along w/spending tons of time on RA learning from more experienced folks) suddenly running stopped hurting so much. Didn't make it easy, understand, but neither did my legs feel like they were being attacked by garden gnomes wielding pick-axes. Yes, you may end up spending more than you planned on good shoes (maybe not, it really just depends) but it is money well-spent, and you will not regret it. Good luck, and keep at it. RunningAhead is great place to learn, ask questions and get some inspiration. Howevah, there's no better place to learn about running than the road. You keep chipping away at that one lap around the block and you'll be amazed at what it can teach you! Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Definitely get professional advice (running store) for your first few pairs. Once you get enough experience you'll know what type of shoe works for you and will be able to shop for a better price. You also need to realize that running alone won't do much for weight loss. Your trip around the block is burning less than 100 calories and to lose just one pound you'll need to burn 3500 calories with no change in your eating habits. To lose weight you'll need to combine your exercise with responsible eating habits. Run for fitness, eat less to lose weight. Tom
              Wingz

Professional Noob

You might want to looking into the cool running website for beginning training programs also- this will help keep you motivated and most importantly prevent you from injuring yourself from running too hard too fast. As a fat 46 yr old myself, I've successfully used the Couch to 5K program (C25K) as many 1000's of other have had. It works- just follow the program and you'll be amazed at the results. About 3-4 months ago I couldn't run 100yrs but as of today I can run 4 miles easily and will be running 5K's http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/182.shtml Read all you can, but come back here- running ahead is the best site and you can log your progress here on this site.ASK questions and read the thread here- you'll learn alot for free.
                I'm a big fan of the Couch-to-5K program. We have a small but living support group here for it - the link is in my sig. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Good advice above (get thee to a running store) and I don't have much to add to that, just a welcome and good luck!
                    Welcome, woody! Congrats on getting into running. I was really nervous about going to a running store when I first started. I was afraid they'd take one look at my chubby legs and laugh me outta the place. But they were amazing. They fitted me for a shoe that works well for me (Asics GT-2130) and they gave me a lot of advice and now I'm on the mailing list for races and events in our area.
                    -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                      Everyone is giving good advice (as always).. One of the very best things about running is that it really doesnt have to cost too much. I would never spend any real money on fancy running singlet or really much of anything else. You dont have to have the 'best' of anytihing to really enjoy running...... The one exception is you need a really good pair of running shoes. There are so many and its hard to decide, but make sure they fit well and feel good (if they cost a little extra, dont scrimp on the price of the shoe). There are also a lot of web sites that talk about specific shoes (within New Balance, Asics and others). ITs a lot of info at first, but after you muddle thru it, its not so hard...just weird terms that you will begin to understand... I would advise a new runner to get shoes that are geared from mid range. They will give you a lot of 'padding' and not cost $150 like the top of the line marathon ready shoes....Also, you need a good idea of what you want to do in terms of running (and realistic goals). It all comes together and no matter what we all say and the advice we can all all give you......Running is a very individual activity and in the end you get as much info as you can absorb, but then you do it your way....GOOD LUCK...You just have to love running.

Champions are made when no one is watching

I just finished the C25K program (was heavy when I started as well) and can't recommend it highly enough. I started running an Asics stability shoe I picked out at a local sporting goods store. They seemed fine but throughout the C25K I had all sorts of aches and pains. Two days ago I walked into a running store and got properly fitted. You don't need to spend a fortune on running shoes but you may have to depending on your foot and stride etc. I didn't look at the tags and figured I would accept whichever was best for my foot. In the end, the guy had me walk around barefoot so he could look at my stride. He had me try a shoe we were sure was wrong just to be sure and then I tried on 6 shoes often one on one foot and one on the other. I just ran for the first time in them yesterday and the difference in comfort was huge. I wish I had done it earlier and saved my joints a lot of pain as I ran. I will admit after I bought them and looked at the tags I am glad I didn't look when I was being fitted. I may have ended up with another shoe I tried that wasn't nearly as perfect a fit just because they were 40 bucks less. Go in, get fitted. pay attention to the fit and not the price and get whichever works best whether they are 50 bucks or 140 bucks. Just my 2 cents.
                        You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

undue monkey

I know this is a shoe question and I'll echo the advice to see your local running shop, but a several years ago I was in the 210-215 range (I'm 6'4") and decided to journey back to 175. For me, walking a lot in addition to running was a huge help. Less soreness, quicker CV improvement and no joint issues that I can recall (almost all my routes are concrete or asphalt.) Stay on top of your diet, get out the door at least 4-5 days a week and it'll come off in a hurry. Good luck, and let us know what you end up buying.