I want to run, but I don't think I should with my ankle the way it is. (Read 561 times)

wallercp

Hey. I've recently gotten back into running regularly -- been running around 12-14 miles a week. About a week ago, my ankle began bothering me -- I'm not sure if I tweaked it a little while running or if it happened some other time. I gave it about a weeks rest and felt fine yesterday, so I decided to go out for my regular run. About halfway up a .75 mile hill a mile into my run, my ankle started to bother me. It ended up being my best run a while. Anywho, when I got back in, my ankle was really bothering me, and I was limping for a while. Today, I can walk without limping, however there is mild pain (and sharp pain if I walk on the inside / outside of my foot). Should I see a doctor, or should I just give it some more rest? I really want to get out and run again tonight, this is killing me.
      Go to a Doctor. You probably have strained some tendons, but they will confirm that on a visit. SLOW DOWN also. If you make your log and profie public, everyone can see how fast/frequent you are running and can better give some fellow running advice based on that information. Hope you feel better soon~ Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

wallercp

Alright, I'll get in touch with my doctor. I can freely rotate my ankle in all directions, however pain occurs when it's pointing to the upper-left. I'll definitely get going on my log when I get out of work tonight (working now). I have been picking up the pace a bit, perhaps that's why my ankle hurts. I'm assuming that you would advise not running tonight? I have no problem running with some pain, so long as I know that I'm not compounding the injury. This is a total freaking bummer because I could always look forward to running when I got out of work... now... not so much. I just started thinking to myself, "Sweet, I get out of work in six hours and I get to go run," about three weeks ago and now that I've got it, I can't satisfy it Edit: Is there any problem with cycling at the gym? I want to keep working on my endurance. Also, I squat heavy 3x a week... I'm assuming I should stop that.

The voice of mile 18

pain means something wrong. might just need rest, ice, and antiiflammatories or could be worse. if it a body part hurts dont do use it.

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Alright, I'll get in touch with my doctor. I can freely rotate my ankle in all directions, however pain occurs when it's pointing to the upper-left. I'll definitely get going on my log when I get out of work tonight (working now). I have been picking up the pace a bit, perhaps that's why my ankle hurts. I'm assuming that you would advise not running tonight? I have no problem running with some pain, so long as I know that I'm not compounding the injury. This is a total freaking bummer because I could always look forward to running when I got out of work... now... not so much. I just started thinking to myself, "Sweet, I get out of work in six hours and I get to go run," about three weeks ago and now that I've got it, I can't satisfy it Edit: Is there any problem with cycling at the gym? I want to keep working on my endurance. Also, I squat heavy 3x a week... I'm assuming I should stop that.
            What kind of shoes do you wear when squatting? How deep do you squat? Running shoes are bad for squatting. Too high a heel and too much padding. You want your feet to be flat and provide a stable platform. Best shoes for squats are Converse All Stars. The shoes when squatting can affect your ankles on deep squats. Also, if your squat stance is too narrow, you'll put more pressure on your ankles at the bottom. A wider stance will engage the hips, glutes and hamstrins more and take pressure off your ankles. I've done 3x/week in off season but that's too much when I'm trying to get faster, race and increase miles. Squats take a lot out of you. I only do themn once per week right now and go light with high reps. I'll go heavier in the winter to build some strngth and size.