It took seven months on the bench but at last I have an answer... (Read 776 times)

Now that was a bath...

I have a double stress fracture to my right posteromedial tibia, unusual placement, at the back of the bone. For those that don't know my history I started running in November and became injured during a race in January. I have never been able to return to running properly, always having pain, weakness and tingling since that day. Three physios and a podiatrist could not help me, so after seven long months, I at last got referred to a Sports Doctor (Dr Dale Speedy, Sport's Doc to the New Zealand Olympic Team). He got me to jump high in the air and land on my injured leg once (this gave me pins and needles), he watched me run about ten metres, felt my leg bone, checked my reflexes, asked lots of questions and said he needed more x rays. I had x rays done in March, but he said that he was certain it was a stress fracture as he could feel a large lump on the bone which suggested an area of healing and that even though nothing showed back then, he thought it would be visable now, even on x ray. I went straight to the hospital, had the x rays done and was back within thirty minutes. The x rays showed two stress fractures, one about an inch above the other. The dip I was feeling in the bone on my leg was the bit between the two lumpy fracture sites. I have been referred for an MRI so that he can see how severe they are and then he will be able to tell me how long I am benched for. It will be a minimum of eight weeks, in probability longer. I am so f&*%ing excited to have an answer. I was petrified that he would not be able to find anything and that I would be left without any answers - or a solution. This I can live with. This just means being patient for a while longer. Heck I'll wait six months, even nine months if there is a future to look towards. kooky will run again! Just not for a while. Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      (((((((HUGS)))))) Though it keeps you on the bench for awhile, I am SOOOO glad you got answeres!!! Will be keeping you in thoughts during this time of healing!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wingz

Professional Noob

The light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train... Smile I'm so glad you've found an answer that means you'll be able to get back to your normal self in time...

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Claire, it sucks that you have stress fractures, but having an answer with a specific line of treatment and a positive outcome is awesome! Now you can recover and get back to what you do so well! BTW, Eryn and I are becoming suspicious that she has the return of stress fractures, herself. It has been months since she could run comfortably, but her symptoms are VERY much like yours. Hopefully she will soon have a diagnosis that explains her pain and a line of treatment and recovery, too. I hate that my friends are on the bench. (((HUGS))) k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Claire --- that's awesome that you finally have an answer!! Being patient will pay off ... especially since you have a running future to look forward to! Smile
            2009: BQ?
              Yeah! An end in sight! It will be easy to wait now that you know finally have a clear diagnosis! I am so happy for you Smile Well, easier to wait

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

Finally an answer so you can get a clear-cut recovery plan!!If they already healing so they show up on xray that is a good start. I'm hoping for as short as bench stay as possible for you. Smile
                  oh man, it's AWESOME that he found an answer for you! i've seen your posts and know you have been *incredibly* frustrated for so long. i kinda want to bake a batch of cupcakes for that good doctor of yours, ha!

Dog-Love

I have definitely been missing your running posts and can't wait for the 8 wks to be behind you. Do whatever Dr. Speedy says and let that injury heal!
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Now that was a bath...

Thanks Everyone! All my friends in the real world are blown away that I am excited to have stress fractures! I remember when this issue first cropped up I was TERRIFIED that it might be a stress fracture. The thought of eight weeks on the bench was so frustrating. Now, after all these months of disillusionment it seems more like hope than a punishment! Looking back I should have trusted my judgment long ago. The race was on the 20th of January and on the 30th of January my log entry reads "It's my bone. I am certain that it's my bone. Off to Doctor this morning." Checking my log again today I realized that I never did have the full eight weeks off. It was actually only five and during that period I walked long distances and lifted heavy equipment daily setting up at Playcenter. No wonder it didn't heal. Then within a few weeks of returning I was back up to 5 miles and working on the concept that this could be a short daily run for me. The Doc promises me that eight proper weeks of healing will make a difference. No jumping, no hopping (not even with joy) and no walking unnecessarily. Have I learned my lesson? Sure hope so! That couch to 11k in one month was not the best start to running and I will be sure to train for more than eight weeks before hitting those concrete hills of Waiheke again! Claire xxx
                    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks Everyone! ...Checking my log again today I realized that I never did have the full eight weeks off. It was actually only five and during that period I walked long distances and lifted heavy equipment daily setting up at Playcenter. No wonder it didn't heal... Claire xxx
                        Just remember that if you are tempted to return too fast. I've been there...it's frustrating but you have to let it heal. I used this schedule AFTER, I repeat, AFTER it was healed, and it worked well for me. It was frustrating to ramp up so gradually but it paid off: http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/stressfracture.shtml Good luck!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Slow-smooth-fast

hope to see you back soon, missed you on the forums, as we started running at the same time. Smile

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009