Strangest/funniest thing you've ever encountered in a race? (Read 532 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well for me, it came during the Stinson Beach Marathon/25k (I ran the 25k), which is just north of the Golden Gate Bridge near San Francisco. Now it was strange enough that I signed up for a race that required me to go from sea level to 1500 ft elevation twice when I hadn't really trained for it. But no, the real strange thing was that there was a ladder on the course. As in, you had to climb a ladder Surprised. Now, maybe this is par for the course on hardcore trail races, which I haven't done other than this one, but for a fella who's run a lot of races, this one threw me for a loop. That being said, everyone was cool and waited their turn. Long distance trail runners seem to be a different breed of cat altogether... Cool

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Jill_B

I fly.

There used to be a fun run around the lake that I grew up on in NJ. Anyone or thing was allowed to enter the 3.5 mile course. I only ran it once, but I was beaten by a dog and a guy on a unicycle. (Actually, I was beaten by everyone, I came in last place -- so all the rollerbladers, walkers, runners, dogs, bikes and everyone else beat me.)

Bring it on.

Naked guys, as in butt buck naked, in the Bay to Breakers. I guess it's pretty typical, but I wasn't prpared for that. Blush
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

You'll ruin your knees!

I had to take a raft ride in a race once, kind of like whitewater rafting...does that count?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A flying monkey. Of course.
              During the 2006 Marine Corps Marathon I saw some interesting signs. One said "Release your inner Kenyan" and another demanded that I "Run like you stole something!" But the one that gave me the biggest chuckle was a t-shirt worn by a rather large female marathoner who I passed near the beginning. Emblazoned in large white letters on a red t-shirt was the following, "I've been carbo-loading for the last 25 years." I'm not sure if runners puking or passing out is strange since that seems to be a regular feature of the road races here in Florida. Tongue
              JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------