How To Begin Sprinting Again? (Read 96 times)

mkcookin

I have not sprinted in 5- 6 years. Back in high school I use to play lots of sports and run track in field. I once injured my achilles tendon about 2 years ago, from sprinting at top speed with no warm up, which made it where i needed several months to recover.

I am looking for a program or exercises that will help prevent me getting injured, and also help build up my strength to where I can safely start sprinting at top speed again.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes fast.

Yeah, that's the RA answer to everything. Not to be flippant, but lots and lots of easy miles are the best way to strengthen your joints and tendons, in addition to your muscles. When you have a really solid base of miles, then you'll find out how well you can sprint.

This is not a new article, but appeared on competitor's twitter feed today:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/11/training/anaerobic-training-for-runners_7409

It isn't exactly what you seek, but it does have a section on sprinting.

pedaling fool

This is not a new article, but appeared on competitor's twitter feed today:

http://running.competitor.com/2015/11/training/anaerobic-training-for-runners_7409

It isn't exactly what you seek, but it does have a section on sprinting.

That's a really good article!!

It does make me wonder how many runners scoff at the idea of sprinting, from my experience there are quite a bit that do.

Future running partner.

Very carefully! Strength training helps but not with heavy weight. More along the lines of lunges and squats with your own body weight. Plyometrics are also very good but only apply as much impact as you can handle. Squat jumps combine the two. But don't jump very high at first. Lastly striders, are good way to introduce sprinting if you do them right:

Only go about 50 meters.

Start slow and build up your speed until you reach fastest speed at the end of 50 meters.

Do not go any faster then what feels smooth and comfortable. If you start shaking or feel uncomfortable while doing them then you are running too fast/hard.

Focus on maintaining perfect running form while running fast,  instead of going as fast as you can.

Do them at the end of a shorter easy run, once or twice a week while your still warm and loose from the run.

The first time you do them err on the side of caution and go slower than what you feel you can do. Do only 3 reps and jog slow in between them.

As you get a few sessions in you will feel yourself slowly being able to run faster with more comfort and you can increase the reps to 4 and then 5.

I am a firm believer in doing these while building up your mileage. They help you become a more efficient runner mechanically. They also make you better prepared for doing more advanced training like intervals, sprint repetitions, and hills, once you get your mileage up high enough.