Gels (Read 957 times)

Alright, as my start to running as come a long way in the last 7 months, I think I might be getting to the point in my long runs where it would be good to have a gel. I do not quite understand them, though, I just know they are an energy source for longer runs. I'm getting to the 11 mile range and plan on doing a 12 miler this week. Should I be taking a gel during this run? What kinds of gels does everyone reccomend? How many does one usually take? Should I also bring water now on long runs or does the gel take care of hydration? All sorts of questions. Any information would be great. I've been on different gel brand's sites but they are all sort of confusing. Besides, would rather have the opinions of all of you guys Wink Thanks
    keep running!
      There are 3 things you may need to intake (besides oxygen) while running: fluid, electrolytes, fuel. Your needs will depend on duration of run, intensity of run, temperatures, how much you sweat,training, etc. Fuels, like gels, generally need water with them to get the right carb concentration (about 6%). Some people prefer to use sports drinks since they're easier to deal with (just drink rather than drink, fight with gel packet, and carry empty gel packet). Yes, there's lots of science behind some gel and sportsdrinks formulations (and no science behind others), but for most folks, it's going to come down to trial and error, the proverbial experiment of one. Know why you're taking something. Read the labels to see what's in there. FWIW, I don't use gels at all (barf factor), but use cytomax drinks for up to 2-hr runs and clip2 / ultra mix for runs over 3 hrs. Electrolytes come from capsules (Succeed caps). Additional fuel will vary with summer and winter as well as intensity of run and may be anything like wheat thins, dried fruit, clif bars, clif shot bloks, raisinets, aplets / cotlets. I go by time, rather than distance, since a snowshoe run on rolling hills for 2 hr will cover a much differnt distance than an easy run on paved bike trail. The gel is fuel, and sometimes electrolytes. You need water to go with it. The gel is not hydration. I suspect if you haven't needed water on your long runs yet, then you may not need gels or other fuel yet since water will be needed earlier.
      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      jeffdonahue

It is definitely trial and error. There are a lot of different types and flavors out there. My personal preference is CarbBoom apple cinnamon flavor. To me it tastes the best and is not as thick as other gels I have tried. You do definitely have to have a drink with them (at least I do) otherwise you are risking some stomach issues. Mine tends to cramp up towards the end of a long run if I dont drink enough with the gels. As for duration, the gels will tell you to eat one every half hour to 45 minutes during a long run. Again, that is kind of a personal preference. I typically only take them on runs longer than 2 hours and will take one every hour or so.
          As for duration, the gels will tell you to eat one every half hour to 45 minutes during a long run. Again, that is kind of a personal preference. I typically only take them on runs longer than 2 hours and will take one every hour or so.
          So on your runs longer than 2 hours, do you mean that at 45 minutes into your run, you take a gel or start taking them at 2 hours and take one each 45 minutes from there on out. Whatever the case, would you suggest I start giving them a try on my long runs now, as I will eventually be training for a full marathon which they will be a neccessity. Thanks in advance and for all of the info so far.
          keep running!
          JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

So on your runs longer than 2 hours, do you mean that at 45 minutes into your run, you take a gel or start taking them at 2 hours and take one each 45 minutes from there on out. Whatever the case, would you suggest I start giving them a try on my long runs now, as I will eventually be training for a full marathon which they will be a neccessity. Thanks in advance and for all of the info so far.
              Fueling/hydration is something with which you'll just have to experiment - and you should, because gels can sit well with some people, and not others. Brands, too. I pretty much have an iron stomach and have had no tummy issues. If I go for a long run (ie, more than half-marathon length) I make sure to eat something little @ half hour before. Could be a banana, energy bar or even a gel. I generally don't use gels during runs of less than half marathon. I may have one or two in a two-hour run. The gel people want you to eat/buy lots, but I generally take them @ 45 mins into a race and at that subsequent interval. Hydration, you may find you need more/less depending on the weather. One "rule of thumb" is a like a mouthful every 15 mins. Something like that. In the cooler weather, I've found I can, if I've been watering up all day, run up to 10 miles w/out being thirsty. As for Gatorade and such stuff, I don't touch it unless for hard runs of more than an hour. Shorter than that, I think most people (aside from the makers/sellers0 would agree it's just not needed and is essentially empty calories. Your mileage may vary.

Imminent Catastrophe

You don't really need carbs for runs less than 16-20 miles, but you do need fluids and electrolytes. You might want to take them, if it helps you get a better workout and prepare you for longer runs. In a race I start at about 10k then 200 calories per hour of sports drink. Just try different ones until you find a brand and flavor that you can stomach. I have found that I can't stand the thought of a sweet, gooey gel after about the two-hour mark, that's why I carry a bottle with sports drink (Hammer Perpeturm). Or in an ultra, boiled potatoes dipped in salt. Yum!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jeffdonahue

For me, if my runs are more than two hours I will take one at 45 minutes and another at an hour and a half. It's kind of like staying hydrated. If you get to the poitn where you can feel that you need energy, it is probably already too late.
                  BaldMike

Sunday and 20 miles 2 weeks ago without any gels, just Gatorade. Like people said above, it takes playing with to get it right for you. I drink Gatorade all the way through my runs, some water mixed in. You must drink water with your gels to help them be digestible. If not, they actually will de-hydrate you. More info here on all gels and water, not just crank products: http://www.cranksports.com/products/eGel/ I have tried many types of gels and can "stomach" two. GU and Crank eGel is what I use the most. Anything with caffeine in the gel sits like a bomb in my stomach and the cliff gels gave me horrible stomach cramps. Someone said because its brown rice based, who knows, but stomach cramps that make you want to literally double over while you are running, is no darn fun. So definitely try products and see what works for you. I also like the Crank eFuel, you just won't find to many races that hand it out and so I try to be used to Gatorade and Poweraide. As for timing of gels, I work backwards. For my marathon I figure to take 2-3 gels, so I subtract from 26.2 and figure I will take one at 20 miles, one at 14 miles, not sure I will take one at 8 miles or not. The whole thing about hydration and fuel, you must get on it early, once you are behind, it is very difficult to catch up, in very hot weather, you probably can not catch up. It is a science, even for the pro runners. They talked about Brain Sell during the Olympic trials that after one race he felt so bad and did not perform up to his wishes, so they totally revamped his hydration and when he would take gels. Seemed to work with his unbelievable trials effort.
                    PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.
                      The purpose of gels is to prevent glycogen depletion. Since most of have from 1700-2000 calories worth of glycogen already stored in our muscles, that won't happen until our runs start approaching 20 miles. Taking gels or any other form of supplemental nutrition for shorter runs is like topping off the gas tank in your car for a trip to the corner store. Another thing to consider is that the purpose of the long run is to condition the body to rely more on fat and less on carbohydrates (glycogen). If carbs are readily available in the form of gels, the body will use those instead of the more difficult to metabolize fats. While that is fine in training, it's not fine in a race such as a marathon. At race pace there is no way you can supply the body with all of the carbs it needs with gels and you may run low near the finish. I take gels during marathons but don't train with them other than to make sure my stomach can tolerate them. You certainly won't need them for 11-12 mile runs, water and maybe a little sports drink if it's hot will do just fine. Check out The Marathon Long Run on the McMillan web site for more information on this training approach. Tom
                        ... Besides, would rather have the opinions of all of you guys Wink
                        You don't *need* gels or any other carbs on training runs until they get longer. For some that would be 18 - 20 miles, for others 30 miles... It just depends on how you train and what you're training for. Remember, *training* runs are to train your body. For races of 15 - 20 miles or more, you will benefit if you have trained the body's fat metabolism so you don't just burn up all your carbs and crash. Ingesting carbs on your long runs just prevents the stimulus to the body which causes it to adapt by developing your fat-burning mechanisms. It defeats the purpose of using the long run to build endurance by training the body to burn fat. For myself, I no longer ingest any carbs on my long runs. It's a good morale booster to finish a 20+ mile run with no carb input. Then in a long race, after the fat metabolism is fully engaged (40 minutes or so?) use whatever agrees with you (in moderation, of course.) Some folks, like "formationflier", routinely run marathons with zero carb input. You do need water replacement and electrolyte replacement, even in training. I use Endurolyte capsules, especially in the summer, for electrolyte replacement. I've heard one coach say that if you start taking gels, etc whenever you get to the 12-13 mile point, they will become a crutch, you will get to depend on them, and your body won't be trained to run without them.
                          Thanks for the input. I went to the bookstore today after school and bought "Marathon" by Hal Higdon just kind of randomly. I started reading and have gotten through about 125 pages so far. Funny thing is it went over the whole metabolism process and reason for the long run, training your body to metabolize fat instead of glycogen by training at a slower pace. Looking back on my question, guess it was kind of stupid Wink. That's how you learn I guess. Anyways, the book says exactly what you all said so thanks again. I'm really getting into running and this forum has been such a great source of info.
                          keep running!
                            There are stupid questions asked in life, but yours wasn't one of them, not even by a long shot.

You'll ruin your knees!

There are stupid questions asked in life, but yours wasn't one of them, not even by a long shot.
                              Totally agree... Great pic...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)