Gimmick workouts- any point? (Read 916 times)

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

I have found running while pushing a double jogging stroller with my 5 year old and 3 year old to help increase my fitness.  Man can I fly when I run without them, HA!

I have a couple of kids you can borrow if you want to run while pushing some extra weight.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Wasn't there some dude awhile back making a lot of noise about how he was going to break two hours in the marathon by training with a weight vest?

Wonder how that's working out for him.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

MrNamtor

Well, it depends.

Are you going to be entering a race where you have to run with a snorkel and backpack and jane fonda ankle weights while pulling a car tire behind you on a rope?  If so, then you better freaking train for it.

On of the firefighters in our town runs on the treadmill at the gym in full gear.  And I mean full gear, oxygen tanks and facemask.    It is really loud.

Quote from Chloey on 1/5/2013 at 1:26 PM:

You might think, oh, well that kind of makes sense because he's training to function under the actual circumstances of a "real life" situation.

The problem is though, would he be better off building endurance by running more, instead of encumbering himself and thereby not being able to run as much?  Or in other words, should he be practicing, or should he be training/building endurance?

On the other hand, he may be building a different type of strength by doing what he's doing, so his method might have some kind of value. But it might not have value for what he's really trying to do.

MrNamtor

I have found running while pushing a double jogging stroller with my 5 year old and 3 year old to help increase my fitness.  Man can I fly when I run without them, HA!

I have a couple of kids you can borrow if you want to run while pushing some extra weight.

that is a very sneaky way to get people to babysit Big grin