Ultracentric 6 Hour Event - or Bonkin's First Ultra (Read 853 times)

So Ultracentric. The first question is probably why? Or possibly why not? Well, first let's rewind a bit. What is Ultracentric? Ultracentric is the 2007 National Championship for the 24 Hour Run. The top 3 male and female finishers will go on to represent the US at the World Championship 24 Hour Run in 2008. For a bit of fun they also have a 48 hour, 12 hour, and 6 hour timed events. They also had a 10k and a half marathon. The timed races are run on a 2 mile closed asphalt course in a park on Lake Grapevine. The idea is you run this loop course over and over until the time runs out. Pre Race Last summer, in the middle of training for my first marathon (October 13), I ran El Scorcho with jlynnbob, modal, and tschepit from RA. I had a great time and it is still one of my favorite races so far. El Scorcho was a 25k and 50k race run in downtown Ft. Worth at midnight. I was in awe of all these people running a 50k in the middle of the night. So I started trading emails with jlynnbob about where I might run my first 50k after my marathon was over. I figured - "Hey, 50k is only 5 more miles than a marathon, right?". He replied that there were two that he knew about a month or so after my marathon. One was held on hilly trails (the Rockledge Rumble - mbk and tschepit both ran the 30k version of this last week) - the other was Ultracentric. With Ultracentric, I could sign up for the 6 hour "fun run" and attempt to run 50k. Aid station every mile, bands playing all day, some of the best ultra runners (at the 24 hour event) in the US to run with - what more could I want, besides a brain transplant? I mean, run for 6 hours - I only finished the Couch to 5k program in March, who was I kidding? I was very nervous before my first marathon last month. Suprisingly, I really didn't think too much about this one - I guess I sort of blocked it out of mind. I showed up a couple hours early to pick up my packet and check things out. When I got to the main aid station, I noticed that almost every one there were the same people that I worked with at Rockledge Rumble last weekend. It was good to see some familiar faces. When I asked the race director when or where I could pick up my packet, he says sure come with me. I don't think he had slept very much - because he had me help him move heavy coolers around and set up some tables and tents for vendors. And then he left to go do something else. So I went back to the aid station and helped out a little to pass the time. While I was standing there - a guy in his 70s or so - looks down at my feet (in flip flops) and says "young man, you got some messed up toes like me - except you're just a babe in the woods - you've still got all your toenails". Several of us got a good laugh from this. I eventually see the race director again, get my packet, and head back to my truck to change. The Race We lined up at the start - it's 3pm and about 80* and sunny - I'm telling myself to not go out to fast - just some easy 10 minute miles to warm up and then see what happens. Hmm. That didn't last long. I ran the first mile in 8:35 - telling myself to slow down the whole time. I finally slowed down by mile 2 or 3 but my left hamstring was already complaining. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Oh well, we live and learn, right? Even though I'm (and the other 6 hour runners) not really going that fast - I'm still running - passing some of the 48 and 24 hour runners like they were not even moving - I almost felt guilty. Until a racewalker passed me at the last downhill before passing the timing mat. I commented to him that I was amazed someone could walk that fast. He apparently wasn't from around here - because I think he answered me in German. So, I just gave him the thumbs-up and left him. It was a reasonably uneventful run - boring even - running the same 2 mile course over and over again. Whenever I thought any thing negative - like when I passed my truck for the 20th time (how nice it would be to just sit down for a minute) - I just had to look around me at the 12, 24, and 48 hour runners. That provided me plenty of motivation to keep on plugging along. Around mile 24-25, I met Marshall (mbk) on the side of the road. He was there as a racewalking judge. We chatted for a couple minutes and I headed off again. It was nice to get a little energy from seeing a friendly, familiar face. I told him I would find him after the race. I was hoping to set a PR at the marathon split, but that was not to be. That's okay, that was only goal number three. Goal number one was to keep moving for the entire six hours and goal number two was to complete at least 50k. After hour 5 was over, they had us stick to the shorter 1/4 mile course for the remainder of the six hours. This was a nice change. The course was long - according to Garmie - and it was getting more difficult to remember how many 1/4 mile loops I had left to finish the 50k. Most people were purely walking at this point. I was sticking to a strategy of running the flat and downhill part and walking the small uphill. Finally it got within 15 minutes of the finish time - I felt like what I imagine a prisoner must feel when he is about to be released. Just keep running. The announcer was counting down the minutes. I could not wait to stop running. Finally it was over. I looked at Garmie and had registered 32+ miles. I had finished 50k with 1 mile to spare. Good enough for 8th place overall. Woohoo! MTA - I met along the way the co-race directors/founders of El Scorcho. One was in the 12 hours and finished 50 something miles and the other was in the 6 hour with me and finished 50k. Can't wait to attempt the 50k at El Scorcho next year. Post Race I got my finisher's medal - which is actually an Ultracentric coffee cup. Add this to the great hooded sweatshirt and Injinji socks I got in the packet. Sweet. I pigged out on a couple hamburgers and cups of coffee in my new mug. I then dropped off my stuff at the truck - changed into some dry clothes - and headed back out onto the course - very slowly - in flip flops - looking for Marshall. He was to be there until 9am - so I thought I would hang out and chat for a bit. Unfortunately - when I got to where I last saw him, he wasn't there and my tired legs did not feel like they were going to make it much farther - so I headed back to the truck and headed home. Sorry, Marshall, see you at White Rock! In other news So they just published the results from the 24 and 48 hour events. A guy named David Goggins won the 48 hour event with 203.5 miles. And Akos Konya won the 24 hour event with 146.25 miles. All I can say is holy cow - that is a lot of miles. Simply amazing. Almost everyone walks at some point - even David Goggins was walking a time or two. But Akos Konya - who stood out in his flame printed shirt and shorts - I never saw him walk the entire time. Average pace of 9:51 for 24 hours. Totally amazing. Here's a link to the complete results.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Congrats, Mike - WoW - that's a lot of loops! Nice report Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

mbk

Congrats, Mike! Good job. Sorry I missed you at the end, but I had to roam the track (to keep an eye on walkers and to stay awake!). I'll look for you at White Rock (amid the thousands!). We had six walkers reach 100 miles, including two Americans, one Australian and three from Holland (I think). So it was quite a day for the walkers!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...Mike, that was awesome! 8th place in your first ultra and after only running for about 8-9 months! NICE! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, Cheryl, Marshall, and Kirsten! It was a good experience! I tried to get some pictures - but none of them came out good enough to post. Marshall - that's awesome - I heard since they offered up the prize money for the racewalkers that there were going to be quite a few of them from around the world. I thought it was funny watching some of them pass runners.

Awesome Mike! 2 goals out of 3 is great when they are so lofty. I cannot even imageine running the same loop 15 times! You've come so far in such a short time, you should be proud!! No puking, right??
                Thanks, Shaunna! Nope, no puking, although I saw several other people partaking in road side puke sessions.

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO WTG MIKE!!!!! Talk about AWESOME! I am so freaken impressed with how your running. NO one would know you just finished the couch to 5k in March!! See you next July Wink (((((HUGS)))))) just cause I'm so freaken proud of you!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wow! That is really impressive! ... and certainly as (more?!) mentally tough than physically so. Nice job on the 8th place overall! Smile
                    2009: BQ?
                      WOW!WOW!WOW! Great job!!! congrats on 8th place! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice! Congrats on your first official ULTRA! The old guys with the toes is Jay Norman, my trail running mentor. The woman that won the 48 hour race is a good friend of mine. It is truly an awesome community. I really hate that I couldn't make it out for any of the race this weekend. Rest well, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

t_runner

I am very impressed and inspired! I have been running 5 years with a general goal of getting into ultras for the last year, and I have yet to make it past 26.2. Congrats!!
                            Trishie, Jennifer, Teresa - Appreciate the comments - thanks very much! Pam - thanks so much - you are a huge inspiration to my running! I hope I can be as fast as you one day! If you guys are seriously thinking about July, make plans by February - they tell me that they are doubling the size of it (400 runners) and staging the start - but it will probably sell out quickly. Lynn - big thanks to you - it's been your awesome race reports that made me want to get into longer distances. The trails will come soon! Thanks again for your advice - it has been extremely helpful. And I totally agree - the ultra community has a completely different feel than the road running community - and it is awesome!

va

Mike, congrats on your first 50K! You've come a long way in such a short time! Sounds like you got some nice goodies. I really like the idea of a finisher's coffee cup.
                                Pam - thanks so much - you are a huge inspiration to my running! I hope I can be as fast as you one day! If you guys are seriously thinking about July, make plans by February - they tell me that they are doubling the size of it (400 runners) and staging the start - but it will probably sell out quickly. Lynn - big thanks to you - it's been your awesome race reports that made me want to get into longer distances. The trails will come soon! Thanks again for your advice - it has been extremely helpful. And I totally agree - the ultra community has a completely different feel than the road running community - and it is awesome!
                                Well I'm definitly considering it and like you I owe alot of my thinking about it to Lynn!! AWESOME dude he is!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson